car design thread | Page 424 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    You’re too kind! Thank you.

330 4HL likes this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    colombo2cam, tritone, Tenney and 2 others like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    This was sent this morning, and it's hard to believe American car design in the late 1950's consisted of this type of detailing.
    1958 Mercury to be exact. Exposed antennae in the A-Pillars! :eek:
    I remember seeing these as a little kid wondering what the heck were these things.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ak Jim, colombo2cam, tritone and 3 others like this.
  5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I liked the Bertone design result for a 2 + 2 but the later 'black boxer' trim didn't do that design any favours! Those 'shorty' front and rear bumpers were more integrated than the North American version bumpers. Bertone always seemed to toil in the shadows of those timeless Pininfarina designs of the period.
    VERY neat as always to see the evolution of a design from conception in those Bertone drawings. Thank you.

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Can anyone think of an insect that DOES NOT have their antennae mounted on their A-Pillars? :eek:

boxerman, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I remember those, on the 58 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, I think.
    I was more entranced with the roll-down rear window on a coupe/hardtop. Sponsor of the 'Ed Sullivan Show'... "Big M'... Mercury.

tritone, JCR and jm2 like this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    State of the art Luxury car design just before the Great Depression 1929
    1929 Duesenberg Model J Long-Wheelbase Berline, coachwork by Murphy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone, F1tommy, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  9. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    boat's not half bad either...

tritone, of2worlds, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    They have several boat/car shows around the country AKA Keels & Wheels. The wooden boats that show up are always amazing. Here in Michigan with the Great Lakes, there's a rich history of cool wood boats from the '20's-'30's.

tritone and of2worlds like this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #10587 jm2, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    With a great deal of idle time on my hands, I came upon this photo today, and thought I’d ask the F-Chat design 'junkies' a design question.
    This is the first Speedtail in the US. But my query is the front wheel design execution vs. the rear.
    Of course they’ve done it for specific reasons, but do you like the look of it?
    Would you want it on your car?

There are a million ways to solve that problem, and I give them kudos for such a bold execution.

But do you like the look? Aero notwithstanding.
    And of course there are no right and wrong answers! Image Unavailable, Please Login
    https://robbreport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/robbreport.com/motors/cars/first-mclaren-speedtail-delivered-to-us-2947244/amp/

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    An older video, but still relevant I believe:

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The "cuffs" and the "collar" should always match! ;)

Those people who like fender skirts probably wouldn't complain about that mismatched look...

jm2 likes this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Hadn’t heard that statement since the days of Bill Mitchell.:eek:
    Or something about the ‘drapes and the carpet’.;)

of2worlds likes this.
  16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    #10591 energy88, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    My first thought was that it is a fake anti-theft device mounted on the front wheel so crooks would not bother to try to steal the car!

17. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    YAWN..........
    At this point I 'druther have the clunky Bentayga sitting on the shelf above. At least I could get some use out of it pulling my boats.......

18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    How about Garbage Truck Design? These were done in the 1970's by a former instructor I had at Art Center, Harry Bradley. What an awesome talent. He was famous for his art/design work in many of the car magazines of the era.This appeared in Dean's Garage website.

City Sanitation Vehicle

August 30, 2020Leave a commentHarry Bradley
    City Sanitation Vehicle
    by Harry Bradley

Published in Car Styling #15, July 1976

This is neither an article about automobiles or automotive styling. It is an essay on sanitation vehicles-garbage trucks. Nonetheless, this subject is appropriate for Car Styling Quarterly. Automobile designers today must deal with the entire vehicle including engineering, safety, human factors, legal restrictions, appropriate use of various materials and manufacturing techniques. Also, designers today must work with all types of vehicles including commercial and specialized types.

Garbage trucks have not changed in twenty years. They are noisy, inefficient, difficult to maneuver and very ugly. Various components are brought together in badly organized packages, creating vehicles which do their job very poorly. There is a need for rethinking this entire problem. A long range approach is obviously to start with the city itself: Analyze its problems, including city waste and its disposal or recycling. Here we are taking more of a short range approach to the problem which is the redesign and updating of vehicle hardware.

Of course the millions of dollars required to develop an entirely new sanitation vehicle is beyond the capability of most manufacturing firms. Yet, we know that many aero-space (and other non-automotive) companies are researching new vehicular areas outside or beyond traditional automotive products. Federal funding is available to assist in these programs of research and development which should be a positive incentive. A review of today’s equipment shows that most utilize medium-duty chassis cabs with gross vehicle weight ratings of 25,000 Ibs. -30,000 lbs. cabs are both conventional (about 108’’ bumper to back of cab measurement or B.B.C.) and tilt cabs (about 75” B.B.C.). Engines are either diesel (450-650 C.I.D. of 150-250 H.P.) or gasoline (350-500 C.I.D. of 200-300 H.P.). Each individual city or community specifies make of chassis cab, type and make of engine, drive train (including transmission, axles, tires, etc.) plus type of garbage collection equipment. This building block method usually results in a vehicle which has many short comings and compromises. Also, individual drivers often remove doors and make other drastic adjustments to suite their needs. This clearly indicates no one is really studying the function of those who use these trucks. Finally, in northern areas snow removal equipment is attached to garbage trucks for five or six months of the year which further reduces their usefulness because they become very difficult to manage.

The redesign of garbage trucks requires an analysis of their function: What do they do? In what type of environment do they function? How many personnel use the vehicle? What types of costs are involved in purchase and maintenance? What are the pros pros and cons of current equipment? Preliminary studies evaluate new package combinations. Each proposal moves farther away from current formats and toward a greater integration and organization of components. Long hood are eliminated for improved vision and shorter overall length. Engines move alongside, behind and finally under the cab areas. The latter is accomplished by using electric motors at each wheel similar to La Tourneau-Westinghouse heavy duty, off-road construction equipment.

The loading bin move up front after early attempts to integrate it into the rear section. Forward location allows ideal coordination of driver-loader. On current trucks, the two men cannot even communicate or see each other. Movable cab is extreme in its mechanical implications but has certain advantages in city traffic where garbage truck drivers must closely hug cars on alternate sides of the street. This frequently results in damage to the parked cars’ body sides. Cab elevation provides exceptional forward visibility.

Existing equipment found in most major cities is very complicated and usually includes street cleaners, truck type street cleaners with street washer reservoir, full street washer, rear load and front load garbage trucks, single chassis and tractor trailer dump trucks, skip loader (the last three for some removal).

A more efficient single vehicle can coordinate many of these needs in one design. The new vehicle not only includes front-garbage collection but a sort of underside bay doors which dump the collected garbage onto barges (in river front cities) or off a slightly elevated ramp in city dumps. Snow is scooped by built-in plow vaporized and exhausted out roof-top ports. When the main body is filled with water, the electric screw jacks at each wheel (used for changing tires and motors) can spray out a high pressure jet of water.

Overall power is by individual electric motors. Front steering is wagon type and allows almost right angle turning. Batteries are stored in front and rear sub-frames and can be charged during various breaks along the route as well as in the garage at night.

Aircraft or race car fabrication technology is used for all major body pieces or assemblies. The accordion pleated middle body is low friction plastic and telescoping shafts or tubes keep front and rear vehicle segments in alignment. Actual power for telescoping is accomplished by powering only the rear wheels and keeping the front wheels braked. Thus vehicle can be (1) enlarged, (2) expanded and contracted in quick sequence to compact garbage within, (3) reduced.

Comparison of new vehicle with old style demonstrates 36.4% increased cargo volume with 29.3% reduced length. When new vehicle is fully reduced it is 53.0% shorter. This reduced length is especially advantageous during morning hours in city congestion when vehicle is virtually empty.

Qvb, anunakki, tritone and 2 others like this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I grew up on Harry Bradley sketches predicting "next year's new cars" and loved his drawing style but unfortunately he always made the cars look better than they were in reality, ha-ha. I guess it figures - if he can make a garbage truck look good...

tritone, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Same here. I collected his drawings from all the magazines.
    Was so glad I was able to have him as an instructor.

of2worlds and ingegnere like this.
  21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Is it too easy to just say that car looks bad or what is it supposed to be?

Too many tacky details including the front wheels shrouds, as introduced by Ferrari in F1 around 2007. The hub mounted (fixed, non-rotating) shrouds directed brake cooling outflow to the bottom aft area of the wheel for aero performance. Not really a critical necessity for a street car especially one meant to look more sophisticated than boy-racer. So, as noted, just one more tacky feature, especially when done up in Star Wars style.

tritone, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Very nice - thanks for posting.

These were part of the trove of sketches found in the Bertone basement and auctioned off last (or maybe more) year.

I really like how the car finally turned out--the mylar at the bottom of second pic--considering it was meant to be a 2+2 coupe and not a 2-seater (and future spider like the 308 GTB).

One critisism of the car that is evident in the last pic is that the angle of the butresses at the back are too upright and similar to the windshield rake so making the car look somewhat static and not dynamic.

23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Thanks for posting.
    I love looking at those older sketches.
    I believe this is one instance where the production car turned out better than the sketches.

of2worlds and ingegnere like this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    tritone and of2worlds like this.
  25. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I guess he never looked back on leaving Detroit and working for a car company and much preferred his teaching and free-lancing, yes? As such, what was his message to up and coming designers?

Also, what did he teach and can you share examples of the kind of work done for the course and how you were graded? Thanks in advance!

jm2 likes this.