Need suggestions on storing a car in the Seattle area. | FerrariChat

Need suggestions on storing a car in the Seattle area.

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Ak Jim, Aug 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I took an early out from Delta. I have a car that I’ve been keeping in an employee parking lot. I’m planning on driving the car up to AK but the travel restrictions going thru Canada now, because of CV, are pretty extreme. Ideally I’d like to find a place to keep the car probably until next spring.
    I need a safe secure place. I doesn’t need to be inside but under a roof would be ideal. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    Ak Jim likes this.
  3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I may be able to help out with something or suggest a nice place. I rent a shop space in Redmond but have also used some really car sized storage units in Issaquah. I rented one for a year and kept an Alfetta GTV and a Lancia Beta Zagato there.

Ak Jim likes this.
  4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    My intention was to say PM me if you need/want to discuss.

Ak Jim likes this.
  5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'd recommend staying well away from the Capitol Hill neighborhoods :rolleyes:. Another vote for storage facilities near Sea-Tac airport

Jedi

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    with all the chop stuff I would want my stuff out of WA.

7. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hence my comment about "Capitol Hill" - CHOP means "Capitol Hill Organized Protest". Your statement is a pretty gross exaggeration of what WA state is like.

Far and away 99% of the entire rest of the state is perfectly safe. I hate how the news has turned ALL of our state into some urban thug war zone, when all the violence was contained to a few blocks and a couple neighborhoods around Capitol Hill in the Eastern side of downtown Seattle.

ENTIRELY safe to find a bazillion places to store cars all the heck over the greater Seattle/Tacoma/Bellevue/Redmond areas and beyond.

Jedi

Montblanc, Il Steeg, bjwhite and 2 others like this.
  8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It is unreal. Someone in Silver was asking about if it would be safe to go to FCA 2021 in Portland. What? I don't think the FCA is planning to do a car show in front of the Courthouse or the Police Union offices! Come on.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Always a comment. haha. Washington is huge. CHOP was like a six block area in Capitol Hill no less. Stop being so damn fear ridden. Compared to Capitol Hill/CHOP, Issaquah or Redmond is practically the moon.

Besides, don't you live in SoCal? Have you even been to Capitol Hill before?

FerRrari and Il Steeg like this.
  10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Why do you guys put up with chop?

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    It's long gone political-boy.

Let's get back to the OP's subject and not highjack it with fear-ridden political jabs towards an area you know nothing about shall we? Thank you.

FerRrari, Dela and Jedi like this.
  12. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Should be lots of storage options near the airport. If you have the time you can still drive to Alaska via Canada. There is an exemption for Americans travelling to Alaska.

Ak Jim likes this.
  13. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you have time you might look in the Mt. Vernon, Burlington, Anacortes area. In the past I rented up there and it was much cheaper than the greater Seattle area. Some of the places also rent open spaces for cars and there is at least one place just east of Anacortes that that has open, but covered, areas for motor homes. It might be worth a look to see if they have smaller spaces.

Ak Jim likes this.
  14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks for the replies. I did find this place but it is a little more expensive than I'd prefer. Looks really nice.
    https://theshopclubs.com/

Ideally a self storage close to the airport would be the best option. We have been talking about maybe keeping the car in the lower 48. We could go on road trips and find a new
    place to keep the car and go back and do another trip.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Hah. The Shop is quite crowded plus there is an initiation fee which for your purposes would be sort of a waste. Driver's Club is a similar thing...although if it's a high end expensive car, it's a fantastic place--well spaced, super clean, dust collectors, clubhouse, etc. https://www.drivers.club/ It's right next door to the shop space that I rent and I have a couple friends who have cars there.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jedi likes this.
  16. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Here's one more option. There's an add in the local Porsche club magazine for indoor car storage for $250/mo. at 9121 151st Ave NE, Redmond, WA. Heated space, 24/7 access, and access to hydraulic lifts. Bob Rygg at 206-498-0273, or Pete Juvet at 206-947-9948, or [email protected].

Ak Jim likes this.
  17. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I'm a Driver's Club member, not good for short term storage (1 year minimum then it goes month to month after). It also has a higher initiation fee and monthly cost than the shop club. However it is a significantly better setup in my opinion, as I would never be a Shop member. For high end car storage, I would say it is the yard stick to be measured against.

bjwhite likes this.
  18. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thx everyone for the suggestions. I decided to go with a 10x15 unit at a self storage place. It’s not an expensive car so as nice as the higher end places are the value of the car doesn’t justify the monthly expense.
    Thinking I might use the car as a lower 48 road trip car and take it to numerous places around the country, find a storage solution in a different place then fly back to AK. Then do another trip etc.

donv, bjwhite and tritone like this.
  19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Cool idea!

20. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    Drivers Club would be my choice if I were to get a second (or third, or fourth, or....) Ferrari.

SeattleStew likes this.
  21. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    RJHD3 and Ak Jim like this.
  22. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Has anyone looked at this place? Might be interested in moving my car there.

23. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I bought my Lancia Thema from them when they were losing the lease on their former location. Seemed like decent guys although I don't know them well. He's active on a Facebook group I belong to (although I've mostly shunned Facebook these days...since Jan actually). They are active in watching Japan auctions and importing cars for sale here--that has been their main business. Cool they are offering cars storage now--seems that's quite the thing these days in and around Seattle.

They used to be in Sodo, hence their name. I was curious where they ended up moving to.

24. RJHD3

RJHD3 Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Seattle
    Adam at SoDo is a stand up guy. He got priced out of the place he was in. I’ve seen the West Seattle storage and it’s decent. Way more affordable than The Shop or Drivers Club. But also not in the same league at all. Nor intended to be. But it’s a good safe space to stash a car on the cheap.

Ak Jim and SeattleStew like this.