Street parking your f-car? | FerrariChat

Street parking your f-car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by arachnyd, Aug 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I think I'm going to street park my Ferrari for a few weeks while we figure out some garage and driveway stuff. It's a city cauldesac. Shouldn't be more than 8 months at longest.

Anyone have any thoughts as far as covering or not covering,leaving it locked or unlocked, etc? Under trees to protect from uv, or in the open to reduce bird and tree droppings?

I had a collector car tarped up once and it got broken into, so I thought leaving it unlocked would minimize an arbitrary break in... But I'm not sure if insurance takes kindly to that.

Anyway I've seen f cars parked on streets before so maybe I'm making a big ado about nothing... But for some reason I thought I should ask on here

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hard question without additional context.

In the Tenderloin in San Francisco? Hell No! But if the your area is safe/peaceful - why not? I would put a car cover and drive it occasionally to give it some exercise.

3. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    If you have the space you can get a couple hundred dollar buildable tent that you can zip up and store in your driveway. If you need something more portable you can get the 10x10 canopies at a local dicks store. I use the 10x10 for track days for shade/rain..

Hopefully you have some space in the driveway you can dedicate or maybe grass to free up the driveway temporarily? If youre local I have extra driveway space. You can leave it and cover it with a lock.

I have the car pulled up but you can fit your entire car. Theres also 12x12 and 15x15.

Good luck!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

DrewH, Caphill, ebobh15 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Like Paul said, hard to tell without context. If Springboro is next door to Mayberry, I'd say you are OK.

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Wouldn't just make more sense to just get a storage unit locally? Seems it would take a lot of the questions out of the equation. I would also check with your insurance, with mine (Grundy) I was required to send pictures to prove that I keep my car in a garage, they would not insure a car that wasn't garage-kept.

RossoC360 and BT like this.
  6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Springboro Ohio? The place closes down at dusk. More conservative than Mayberry but slightly older population!

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, but is Barney Fife on patrol in Springboro? :D

paulchua likes this.
  8. gmo28

gmo28 Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    do you have any local or close friends where you could at least park it in their driveway if not garage?
    or rent storage some place.

would need more context regarding location and neighborhood.
    also year and value of the car.
    I live in a gated neighborhood and wouldnt park my 19 488 on the street for a couple days much less 8 months.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No.

Find storage.
    Don't even think about it.

A little effort will find a Ferrari vandalized so some Punks could take pictures, standing on the hood.
    Don't be "that guy".....

10. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I vote rent a spot in a safe place.
    Why risk it?

NMNMNMN and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  11. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    If street parking is absolutely necessary, avoid leaving it under a tree... The UV protection is definitely not worth the bird droppings and the tree sap. This can damage your paint permanently. You can also find some car umbrellas that stick to the roof with a big suction cup and covers all the car. Protects quite well without the downside of having a car cover on all of the time, with the humidity build up and clear coat marring that can occur.
    With regards to security, it will obviously depend on the area... It really needs to be a very nice neighborhood for you to leave it for several months in the street.

LI2782 and paulchua like this.
  12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I think it depends on the Ferrari.... I have to say I'm surprised a Ferrari owner asking this question... but it happens I guess for a short period of time but 8Months ... just store it.

a brand new one that has good seals etc.. prob ok.

an older 308 - no because they leak, and the paint is delicate etc...

anything older and this post is meaningless... as I would not let a 1960's Ferrari or any older one stay out side for a whole host of reasons... theft, damage and weather are not kind ..... storage center is the best solution

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I parked my 550 in the streets in Stockholm
    for about two months. Had to drive it about every second day to wash it. An underground garage starts at 650 dollars a month And with a minimum of six months rent, and they were so tiny that I could almost not get in and out of the car. I was there temporarily. It got zero damages. The only drunk people at were the «brats» who loved the car, and took pictures of it. But I did not feel comfortable about the situation.

paulchua likes this.
  14. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    #14 Doc_Dent, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    IMHO "don't risk it, Period."
    8 months in the wild is a big No No for an F car IMO.
    As @gmo28 asked and suggested, I guess if U brainstorm enough, U can think of friends who will be more than glad to let U park it in their drive way at least, which would be a 1000 times better than leaving it out Zero attended.
    TC,,,

gmo28 likes this.
  15. gmo28

gmo28 Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    if the car is of high value, if I didnt want to store it locally, I might even ship it away to some family member for storage for that length of time.
    However if its a low value car, that may not be necessary or worth it.

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    When We are in London we usually stay in Kensington or Knightsbridge area... Holland Park sometimes... and you see Ferrari's all over the place parked on the street... tight... but they also have the usual knicks and scrapes from street life... and a lot of them are usually really dirty... ( we normally go in the fall so its rainy) ... but given the pricing of London parking... I get it... could cost almost as much as the car. once in a while you see them out in Paris but not as much.

BLAMPEE likes this.
  17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yes, I live in one of those areas in London. My Ferraris are garaged in the area. But there is a 458 Spider and a Cali T parked on my square, they have parked there for years, and I haven't seen them damaged. Also a Gallardo, and on the next square a 488 coupe and spider. They do get dirty being exposed to the elements. But nobody has run a key down them, that I have seen.
    I have also been parking the exotics I write about outside my block for 20 years, for a couple of nights at a time. Only thing that has ever happened was back in 2004 when some crazy stole the wheels off an AMG. Nothing happened to more than 20 Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, Bentleys, RRs, and nothing at all for 16 years.
    Still I wouldn't risk it long term with mine. My daily driver AMG got scratched by some idiot in a van, plus leaf mulch, bird stuff, dust, rain, hail, sun.
    Parking in London isn't that expensive if you shop around. I pay £350, around $450, a quarter for a heated garage with power.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    Street parking has the extra risk of your car being hit...I left a bimmer at a friends street side, very nice safe residential neighborhood for a couple of months, about 4-5 weeks somebody rear ended it while parked.

19. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Haha yeah its very suburban. There are 4 houses on our culdesac, and one of my neighbors has a ferrari in their driveway thats never been messed with. I have cameras on it and no traffic.

Maybe- thats expensive, and then its 20 minutes away so you can never drive it. Thats always been the resistance- I pay $300/month to have a car 40m round trip? I barely drive my Ferrari now, if I had to drive 20m to get it it would just rot and I might as well sell it!

haha fair to say

I just have a 360- nothing special. Not any more valuable than the other cars people park around here. I mean I LOVE my 360, but its a sub 100k car.

This is promising. First all the "never park outside" folks pipe up, then I hear people parking outside like this. I appreciate you sharing.

its a pretty low value car (360) for a ferrari. Certainly not collector grade, but I love it and don't want to sell it.

Lower risk than my driveway with my kids riding their bikes and scooters around haha!!! I'm just waiting for my 2 year old to carve on it with rocks. She almost did that to my truck and I had to stop her!

F456M likes this.
  20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Park away.

21. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Lots of exotics, PERIOD, parked on the streets in Kensington! That's where I stay every time I got to London! :)

I was pretty shocked the first time I went there!

22. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Lived in Ohio for years. Have fun digging it out after the snowplows clear the neighborhood roads...

23. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Just my opinion, but there's no way I would keep it parked on the street. A morning. An afternoon. Maybe.

I like the peace of mind. Worth the extra $.

24. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Rent a place, or pay friends and family for space at their garages. I'd never even consider leaving my car in the street, except normal parking needs when out for a while for a drive, dinner, etc. Even if it doesn't get vandalized in any way, the sun, rain, birds, and the all too common distracted drivers drivers are a huge risk. Seeing nice cars parked in the street is different from leaving them out there for months.