What is harder on a Ferrari, hot or cold? | FerrariChat

What is harder on a Ferrari, hot or cold?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Husker, Aug 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So I am keeping my new 360 garage at 75 in the summer, 60 in the winter.

If it wasn’t temp controlled, it would reach 100 or more in the summer, and 20s in the winter.

Which of those extremes is harder on a car - paint, leather, seals, rubber, etc?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Temp is not the biggest concern .. humidity is the biggest probably ..if you keep the humidity from 40 to 50 percent you should be ok...that being said 20 degrees probably worst than 100 degrees

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

PhilNotHill likes this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Clearly heat is is harder on any car than cold. As long as you have proper antifreeze, windshield washer solvent and oil, cold isn't a problem.

crinoid, LVP488 and 308 milano like this.
  4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think the UV is the second biggest issue next to humidity

UV destroys paint leather rubber etc

100 degrees in a covered / enclosed garage is really nothing for a car ..think about the temp a black car gets even in a 70 degree day ..I would say the interior gets to over 130 and the paint even more ..so a garage with 100 degrees at 45 percent humidity is not that bad

The third thing the affects material is the change in temp ..like going from 20 to 100 etc ..

I hope that gives you a little insight

Of course keeping a 45 humidity and 55 to 75 degrees always would be the best

That is why airplanes and cars store better in Arizona

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    isn’t Arizona also low humidity overall ?

F1 Tico likes this.
  6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #6 flash32, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Exactly ..my point is that the heat is crazy but humidity is low and cars do not suffer the problems of corrosion etc

The dry humidity is a little harsh on leather etc and that is why I stated that if 100 degrees and humidity 45 percent and inside ..non-issue for car

To answer the OP question ..having a hot garage is better than anything below freezing especially if humidity is around 45 or so

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Have a heated and aircon garage. Keep the temp at 51F in winter. Reason is that is the perfect temperature to keep wine.

We keep paint and other stuff that we don’t want to freeze.

tantumaude likes this.
  8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Owned a body shop for many years. Hands-down, heat does more damage to exterior paint and interior leather than cold weather..

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think we are talking about two different things ..sunlight and outdoor heat is different than 100 degrees indoors

Yes sunlight (uv) and heat which gets amplified by the sunlight definitely causes extreme damage .. believe me I know . But a hot indoor garage is not the same ..

Bringing this thread "outside" adds a different dimension to this equation.. both cold and hot

rumen1 likes this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Humidity, followed by heat, followed by cold. But mice have to be the worst!

AlfistaPortoghese and flash32 like this.
  11. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    IN my experience , my 328 runs best when its warm or even hot outside, would I leave my car outside in the heat, no, only if I have a car cover.

Thank you

12. the_dan

the_dan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Heat is a problem in terms of UV and direct sunlight destroying paint, leather, exterior trim, everything.

I can’t see any problem with 100F in an enclosed underground garage though. At least I’m hoping not because mine reaches that temp most of the year.

13. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    So can we be more clear on the original question, so the answers get some context? We all know sunlight / UV is a killer. (I'm a fair-skinned red-head.... I know better than most, haha)

Assuming indoor storage (no UV) and low-relative-humidity; is 100°f better or worse than say 20°f?

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I thought I had given my thoughts above . 100 degrees low humidity is better than freezing

F1 Tico and jag-oo-r like this.
  15. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Phil,
    Really good point, I like your thinking!

Do you have two garages, one for white and one for red?

jag-oo-r likes this.
  16. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    If you use the car often, hot is much better for cold starts obviously, as the engine oil is not so thick. And as someone very accurately pointed - the sunlight is the actual problem, and not the heat itself. And on second place is of course is the humidity. Other than that - it's just a car, it doesn't need to be perfectly warmed all the time.

17. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    At that temp, has to be white!

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We have some temperature controlled wine cooler refrigerators. The overflow goes in the garage which is only white wine. The red wine is always in the wine cooler refrigerators.

Life is good.

F1 Tico likes this.
  19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have my wine cooler refrigerators in a garage, next to the garages housing my Ferraris. The Ferraris don't have bubbles or refrigerators, but they have heaters to ensure the temperature doesn't drop below around 10C/50F in winter. I tried dehumidifiers but they were too fiddly. The cars are always happiest mechanically in warmer weather. I certainly feel the paint and leather hasn't suffered any degradation in the cool temperatures the cars are stored in. But I don't have any reference points to compare to.
    For wine, 51F is good for storage for either colour. the most important thing is to avoid fluctuations in temperature.

AlfistaPortoghese and flash32 like this.