458 - Kline Inconel with stock cats? | FerrariChat

458 Kline Inconel with stock cats?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by death1ord, Jul 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. death1ord

death1ord Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ray F.
    Hey guys,

I recently purchased a kline inconel exhaust and was wondering how it will sound with standard cats! If its similar to stock, it would rather be disappointing for me. I am trying to NOT go for 200 cell sport/high flow cats since I will have to deal with CEL/tune afaik.

Can anyone comment on it?

Thanks.

PFA

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Well on the PISTA and 488 , 200 cell didn't throw CEL.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Bite the bullet and get the race cats. You won’t regret it. You will be disappointed with just the exhaust.

4. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    200 cell cats are highly unlikely to cause CEL. If they do, you can immediately clear it and it likely won't appear again for a very long time. This is different from a straight pipe CEL which will likely appear 50-100 miles after each time you clear it.

5. death1ord

death1ord Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ray F.
    Did you run any form of o2 spacers or mini cats with it?

Thing is I live in Houston, TX and they have strict emission rules. They check for all monitors and make sure they are ready. If they are not the car fails the emission test and it just becomes a nightmare to deal with :\
    Else would have loved to go the race cats route.

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Dealer said you wont get a cel light with 200 units but to be 100% safe they would install 02 spacer

death1ord likes this.
  7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    You'll be fine. Texas allows for 1-non ready monitor, which is actually the minimum requirement set by the EPA I believe. California doesn't allow any non-ready monitors and they even do a visual check to ensure there are no non-certified parts on it (although I find most places will skip it for a mid engine car due to inability to view the exhaust system under the car).

If you keep the stock cats, your car will sound higher pitched but no louder with Kline.

death1ord likes this.
  8. death1ord

death1ord Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ray F.
    Wow, that's good to know!! Thank you guys! I have also seen folks running race cats with Big daddy mini cats and they say it works. Although I wasn't able to find much data on it.

9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I can respond, as I’ve installed the Kline SS without the cats on my 458.

First, it’s significantly louder and more aggressive sounding than stock, no doubt. The car rumbles when driving at low speeds - to me it’s way better sounding then stock on a 458. And it’s a much higher pitch when revved up the ladder.

My installer questioned whether the 200 CEL cats would make a difference, however James at Vivid stated it does get even louder and changes the pitch even more. So while I have the cats, I didn’t install them yet.

I have to be a bit careful as I live in a very conservative HOA community where people complain about weeds. And there aren’t too many white 458 spiders in the neighborhood.

I may install the cats as an experiment, and if it’s too noisy, I’ll go back to stock. My Indy said about 4 hours of labor - not too bad. You will need to replace the clips on the intake manifold.

As for throwing codes, it won’t with just the cat back, but James recommended the Capistro Wizard with the cats which squelches them. It’s a plug in directly to the ECU module. I suppose extensors would work, and there is enough length on the O2 sensors to do it that way.

I owe the folks here a video of the SS version, but we’ve been away from FL until this **** blows over a bit.

10. death1ord

death1ord Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ray F.
    Thank you William, I am a bit confused .. are you saying you currently have it installed with stock cats or did you do a cat delete?

Also Capristo Wizard just constantly clears your codes if they are related to emissions or cats. I would not spend $1200 on it, you can do the same with a simple scan tool ... my 2c. :)

11. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Just get the exhaust and the cats and the headers while you’re at it - you’re overthinking this my friend.
    458 stock - unacceptable
    458 exhaust - better but still lacking
    458 exhaust & race cats or straight pipe - getting there
    458 full exhaust - how it’s supposed to be, proper

You’re overthinking, just do it :)

death1ord likes this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I got 200 on my FF-no cel, it’s what makes the difference not the exhaust alone. The combo does!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

death1ord likes this.
  13. death1ord

death1ord Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ray F.
    LMAO, very well put Sir!! First Ferrari and it is CPO'ed for the next year and a half. Hence overthinking... lol

Thank you sir, that helps!! :)

14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Sorry, I currently do not have the cats installed. Without the cats, the car is plenty loud and aggressive. Bear in mind I live in a neighborhood that’s conservative to say the least, so I went with step A first. With the 200 cats, I’m told the car will be louder and even more aggressive. All good for some, not necessarily all.

That F1 sound, while intoxicating, means the car is louder all the time, even when driving at normal speeds around town. So it’s a personal choice.

With regard to the Wizard, I was told it specifically squelches the codes thrown by the O2 sensors which might occur as a result of the Kline cats.

Hope this helps.

death1ord likes this.
  15. death1ord

death1ord Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ray F.
    From my research no cats are the loudest and most aggressive. 200 cell cats will be around 30% to 40% quieter. Thank you for the information :) Appreciated.

16. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I re-read my post and may have mislead you. What I have installed now are stock cats and Kline SS muffler. I was told by Kline that installing the 200 CEL in lieu of the stock cats would increase noise and pitch further. Sorry for the mis-info.

death1ord likes this.
  17. death1ord

death1ord Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ray F.
    It all makes perfect sense now!