Insurance | FerrariChat

Insurance

Discussion in 'Canada' started by palmpalm, Jul 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. palmpalm

palmpalm Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    Who should I use to insure my new to me 2002 360 modena in Ontario?

2. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I previously had Haggerty for my classic car which I sold.
    Since my Spider is not 20 years old, I contacted ZEHR insurance which also insures classic cars and also a category which they call specialty cars. The policy itself is through Echelon.
    They offer a clause 19A, the "A" standing for agreed value.
    I had my car appraised and it is insured for the agreed value, meaning if you have a write off they have to pay you the agreed value.
    Not all insurance companies offer the 19A clause.
    There are restrictions such as it is not your primary vehicle that you use to commute to work with and I believe drivers must be over 26 years of age.
    I pay approx $1200 per year.

3. ThatFlyGuy

ThatFlyGuy Karting

Jul 10, 2020
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Cy Sawyer
    Most people will say Haggerty, and for good reason. However, I have lucked our with my broker/underwriter. I have a Ferarri 355, Lotus Esprit Turbo, Chevy Cruze and two Ducati bikes with them. They have insured the Ferarri, Lotus and both Ducatis for less than my quotes from Haggerty. I know premium isn't everything and not sure how they will when if/when I need them. But just throughing this out there.

I am with Desjardins Insurance and my broker is Mark Parnell.

Cheers,

4. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Does Desjardins offer the 19A agreed value clause?

5. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Hagerty or Chubb

6. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Hagarty requires vehicles to be 20 years old

7. ThatFlyGuy

ThatFlyGuy Karting

Jul 10, 2020
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Cy Sawyer
    Yes, Both my cars and bikes are on agreed upon value after independent appraisals. Blue book is not used at all.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  8. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
  9. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Wow that must be new.
    When I got my 360 2 years ago I still had my classic car with Hagarty. I called them and they told me they could not insure it until it was 20 years old. I guess they changed their policy now.
    I used the online calculator for the link you provided and the Hagarty quote was $3020 per year ($248 per month) . I'm currently paying $97 per month with Zehr.

10. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The price gets better the more cars you insure with them. Also, I'm sure you can get a better price than what you see online. Hagerty is a premium brand.

11. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I thought the price was ridiculous. I had my classic insured with them since 2011. I was at around $350 per year. If I recall correctly Hagarty's process structure for classic cars was approximately $225 per year plus $5 for each $1000 of insured value. Maybe they don't use the same calculated price structure for classics compared to exotics.
    I will have to call them to confirm the price.