Distributor problem/question | FerrariChat

Distributor problem/question

Discussion in '308/328' started by kclimbs, Jul 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kclimbs

kclimbs Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    While timing my ‘78 308 last week somehow the distributor shaft snapped in half. I spoke with Tom at Marelli Services and he said my best option would be to keep an eye out and buy a used one that someone may have laying around. Apparently, this specific part isn’t available? Does anyone have an extra S159B laying around that they would be willing to part with? Or advice? Thanks in advance for any help!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Do you have a pic of all the broken bits- looking at what i can see you should be able to get one made

3. kclimbs

kclimbs Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    That is the only broken bit. Clean break of the shaft right where it meets the cup

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Hard to make out with the plastic bit on- should be easy to make
    What is the pt no ?

5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Ferr Parts in Sacramento. (Ferrari dismantler) should be able to help you out.:)

Crowndog likes this.
  6. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The last time I timed my 78 as I recall there were two timings: idle and 5000 RPM. I had a lot of issues
    - could not get it dialed in on the timing marks at both RPMs (likely mechanical advance issues)
    - inconsistent idle in general
    - hard starting
    - lots of carb "pops"

I'm not a pro, but figured it was more than parts to get the distributors sorted - ie Sun machine or similar. I switched to Electomotive electronic ignition. It made a *world* of difference in performance. The car starts much faster. The idle is near perfect. The advance also seems near perfect, though I have not double checked it with a timing gun.

7. kclimbs

kclimbs Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Thanks for the suggestion! Ferrparts came through with a great price! Should have it sometime next week and hopefully finish up this process and get this car back on the road!

waymar and 308 milano like this.