488 Pista Values | Page 17 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Values

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by customryder, Nov 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jaywo

jaywo Rookie

Jul 4, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    John Watson
    Have to say, as a person who owns a 458 and would love to buy a Pista at some point in my life.... If I could spend 75-100k less upfront by buying a car without a stripe, then sticking a vinyl stripe on it (if i really wanted it to look less "boring"), and then selling the car with or without a vinyl stripe 3 years later for the market price of Pista with a factory stripe minus 75-100k..... am I missing something ??

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #402 Shadowfax, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    The stripe is key and part and parcel of Pista's model identification. The car also looks very odd without it. Ordering a car without the stripe makes it harder to distinguish the model from the cheaper less performing variants. The Pistas' which shift quickly and for the right money have always been spec'd around Ferrari's release spec. So the evidence is clear.

Basically the price which this Pista finally "exchanged" for bought it into line with a regular version spec'd new 488. To recover this car now would require a high end paint shop to reinstate the stripe and an expert motor trimmer to tone down the blood bath somehow - or refit new trim parts of an alternate color - so it wasn't so horribly garish inside, but then the car would still conflict with the option plate. So basically it's a VERY expensive mistake for whoever spec'd it originally, and that has now been properly realized without any question or doubt. The car will also continue to depreciate heavily I would suspect as it changes hands for the same reason.

458-Italia likes this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #403 Shadowfax, Jul 21, 2020
    I could start with by saying firstly you - or the dealer - will have quite a job finding a buyer who will entertain even taking it on even heavily discounted. So basically without a stripe it's a guaranteed ticket on how to commit financial suicide. And make a mess out of the trim selection/color and/or have a boring or odd exterior color only makes the situation even worse....if that's possible. Pista is a car where it needs to stay to basic theme unless you plan dying with it.

So back to topic on Pista value, it's crystal clear once off the model theme is broken and also strays away from Ferrari's launch spec then the market interest shrinks along with the achievable sale price. The one's moving and bringing the right money are all within launch spec theme and, all with stripes.

4. jaywo

jaywo Rookie

Jul 4, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    John Watson
    Points well made sir, and difficult to argue against.... admittedly it does look the best with a stripe for sure..... my only reasoning I guess is that the only loser would be the original buyer who spec'ed it, not each subsequent buyer/seller who would command a suitable discount to take account of the schoolboy "no stripe" error in the first place.....

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    The original owner definitely takes a big hit and is a loser for sure but then the same thing happens - the losing continues- when the next buyer wants to shift it. Maybe its different in other countries but out here it's hard to change a certain mindset even when the price is reduced. So it's a situation where one really needs to think very carefully when they get all self indulgent in the Atelier room because the pain never ends no matter who owns it. Most buying Pista's expect the car to be easily recognized as a Pista and not some dumbed down version resembling a 488 gtb.

6. jaywo

jaywo Rookie

Jul 4, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    John Watson
    Fair enough.... Should really spec a stripe then, and if you don't like the stripe then wrap it in the body colour to disguise it..... otherwise, it's akin to buying bank shares 3 months ago hoping they go onto making new highs...... appreciated your comments to my first postings so thank you

7. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    So you spec a car for the next owner or for the resale value not for your personal taste ? Strange enough. I like the look of my non stripe car a lot.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, PTG1, Thecadster and 10 others like this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #408 Shadowfax, Jul 21, 2020
    I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do if you are the one spec'ing the original car or, dismissing what looks good to you etc. I'm merely pointing out of the net result of the stripeless examples here and, the general sentiment of those selling these types of cars for a living. So far the evidence is impossible to ignore. Some first owners may be good with all that and others may not be so good with that type of result. Some stripeless examples will obviously fare worse than others depending upon choice of colors but the outcome is much the same - a downhill/negative scenario in comparison to those cars spec'd to Ferrari's designated theme for Pista.

So when judging the outcome of a Pista's resale price one really needs to look beyond the actual figure achieved and look at the car and what it represents as an model example vs what it sold for.

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If you do not like the stripes, and definitely prefer the car without the stripes, purchase a discounted Pista without the stripes. For a reasonable sum, , a highly qualified paint shop can paint any stripes or wrap stripes that will look virtually like the stock car.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    At 3.0 he talks about the stripes...

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Personally I agree on the aesthetic enhancement offered by the stripes. The stripe looks especially enticing due to how it flows through the S-Duct. And for this reason, it is visually appealing on the F8 as well.

12. I almost bought a Pista sans stripe.

In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't.

And definitely bi-color.

13. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    The guy in the video stated a lot of the carbon is standard. Funny I recall paying for most of it.

johnr265 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  14. gmo28

gmo28 Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    #414 gmo28, Jul 21, 2020
    My preference would be without the stripes but then again I am not one of the herd who prefers Rosa Corsa .

15. I believe UK (maybe even ROW) and US specs might be different in what is offered as standard equipment.

16. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Damn that sucks - I had to double check my build sheet and I paid ever penny for carbon. They even got me for 3500 for a mirror

17. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Many of the Pistas in the EU received full carbon engine bay, as standard. I have that useless mirror with a dated home link System that I cann´t get to work.

18. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I look at it as 3k to get a decent looking rearview mirror based on what is offered as standard for Ferrari :D

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Do the stripe but be a little different and let it go down the backside. That's how they were growing up and when they stop at the lip it looks boring.

20. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This is exactly why I didn’t do Homelink. It sucks in the Ferrari’s. In my mclaren I programmed 3 garages in 30 seconds. In my 488 I have up after 2 days. In the Pista, didn’t even order it.

MarkTodd and Gh21631 like this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    When specing any car - particular an expensive one or, special version, it's always wise to strike a balance between what you want and what the next buyer is likely to want and work with that. It is also important to stay true to the model so not to diminish the core attractions.

The reasons why some Pista's are sitting and having to sell under RRP are mainly to do with the spec of the car than anything else. It doesn't take too much to figure it out when you look at each car to see which is going to sell and which is going to sit.

ntatfas likes this.
  22. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    It depends on the year of the car. It was sometime in 2017 when they updated the homelink in the mirror. I programmed the 812 in 30 seconds same as the 488 Spider and Cali T HS. I couldn't understand why others couldn't get it to work right. It turns out that older models need a bridge installed in the garage.

racerdj and SoCal to az like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Makes sense. My 488 was a 2016 so it never worked. I just didn’t want to deal with it on my Pista and never ordered it.

wrs likes this.
  24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I did exactly this. I got every single carbon option on the exterior including engine bay but skipped on stuff that didn’t enhance the driving experience or to me was just useless fluff. Car play for $4500. Skip. Upgraded radio, passenger display skip. Lift- skip. I think I have a well specced car that works for me and will be desirable down the road for the next buyer.

25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How is the phone integration without CarPlay? Can you play music through the car? Do you even want to?