What to do when a shop absconds with your car... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What to do when a shop absconds with your car...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rjd2, Jul 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjd2

rjd2 Karting

Jul 28, 2016
    Thanks for the support and kind words, folks. I am(sadly) a trusting person by nature. I think that if I didn't see the consensus on here stating "oh ****, hit the eject button NOW", I may have extended my "benefit of the doubt" mentality longer than necessary....

2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am glad you have something to work with. Can you rent a trailer and get to the address and see if you can get the car right there on the spot? I know that is much easier said than done.

LARRYH likes this.
  3. rjd2

rjd2 Karting

Jul 28, 2016
    I luckily have a car trailer. Got a beater on CL on the cheap some years back, and I use it ALL the time. So I can be deployed rather quick :)

paulchua likes this.
  4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I would simply get an agreed price for the work done to date (a current amount owed), then get a bank check and a release worked up and go get the car no later than this weekend. This has potential disaster written all over it.

paulchua and Husker like this.
  5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    If you go get your car, take the title/pink slip and call your local Police to “keep the peace” before you go over there. They will probably meet you down the street to hear from you what happened. They will stand by a short time while you put your car on your trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tritone and paulchua like this.
  6. rjd2

rjd2 Karting

Jul 28, 2016
    Ok, good news and bad news. The good news: I now have pics of the car, so it's not in UAE or in a shipping container. The bad news: the state of the work is that the rear suspension is completely off, so it's not even a roller at the moment. It's on a dolly. So I'll need to navigate what my next move is....

anunakki likes this.
  7. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow! Good luck!

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Are the police and insurance involved yet? If major components / parts are missing, this could end up a total loss situation quickly. You might be better off, if the back end is in pieces. I would think insurance will make you whole either way.

paulchua and EastMemphis like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    May I ask what sort of work did you need that the whole rear suspension needed to be removed?

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

What kind of car was it? I don’t think I read this in the thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    He said it's a 70s one, could be a dino 2x6 or gt4 or 308 or bb?

It has it's whole rear suspension removed which seemed to be a surprise to the owner if I'm not mistaken.

12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    to be honest with you; as suggested; go get a trailer and go get your car.

I would have been there as soon as I found out where my car was. (If it’s in dollies it can be moved and put on a trailer) I wouldn’t be hanging around or giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Something is clearly not right if they are moving by our car without informing you.

I hope it ends well.

paulchua likes this.
  13. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Looks like inventory for “Exotic Car Parts Be Us” venture.

14. rjd2

rjd2 Karting

Jul 28, 2016
    Engine rebuild...Got more info...I'll be back with a full story soon....

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Best wishes, keep up the good fight and let us know what happens.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  16. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Fingers crossed: hopefully the car is within max a couple of days back in your garage!

Keep us posted: some really good advice in this thread... which again proves what a great forum Ferrarichat is!

17. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Any news or updates since last time?

paulchua likes this.
  18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Rear on a dolly so it is rollable. Get a winch, winch it on to your trailer, pay the work, and get the hell out of that shop.

19633500GT likes this.
  19. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Best of luck! Although with how shady this all is, why not divulge more info? It could prevent someone from finding themselves in the same situation.

20. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Let the OP get his car back first !

21. rjd2

rjd2 Karting

Jul 28, 2016
    UPDATE: as of 8/1/2020, I have made progress. To address the original issue, I can confirm that this was not a case of "absconding", but rather, a long period of non-communication. I have touched portions of the car. Again, until I have resolution to a satisfactory personal degree, I'm reticent to lay out the full story; no need for drama on my part. Several of you are central Ohio owners who wanted personal information on service for their cars, and reached out via DM. I am fully welcome to assist via DM if you are concerned for your own sake, feel free to shoot me a message. Hopefully back by the end of the week with full resolution.

22. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hope so dude, very best of luck woth it

paulchua likes this.
  23. rjd2

rjd2 Karting

Jul 28, 2016
    Update 8.30.2020-Well, after a long and harrowing journey, I re-acquired the remainder of the car today. I'm still wrapping my head around the experience from a technical, financial, social and emotional standpoint, but wanted to give an update. Thanks to everyone who shared their insights, opinions, etc etc. I have decided to not go scorched earth on this matter, as it's not the energy I want to put forth in the world. now, to regroup and figure out my next step...happy motoring.

PTG1, paulchua, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I understand where you're coming from. Sometimes the best thing to do when you've been forced to fight in the mud; is take a shower and move on.

Cheers

25. rjd2

rjd2 Karting

Jul 28, 2016
    Thanks-very well said. To be clear, the car is literally in pieces. EVERYTHING that was in the engine bay is disassembled. Heads and block are rebuilt. Trans and carbs are not. But I am fairly sure it's all there, and that's the main thing I needed.