"Fiat Era" Ferraris | FerrariChat

"Fiat Era" Ferraris

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Husker, Jul 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I have heard this term used quite a bit on various Ferrari-related programs, and it seems to be a derogatory one. Apparently the 348 was squarely in the Fiat era, but I had two 348s and I thought both were quite nice cars and I never had a problem with either of them. I wasn't super crazy about the dash and the gauge design, but I am sure that it was great for that period.

Fiat owned 90% of Ferrari from 1988 until 2014, yet the 2000s cars are not considered Fiat era, is that correct? Supposedly, "Fiat era" ended with the end of the f355, but I don't get the math on that, since Fiat's majority ownership went for many years after that.

Can the experts weigh in on this?

2. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Not an expert, but grew up around Ferraris. In the late 70s early 80s old timers referred to Dino’s and 308s as “Gold chain fiats.” With the Dino, I get the connection because of the Fiat Dino, but with the 308 it seemed more of an attack on 308 owners who, at least to the old guys, seemed flashy and more into the image as opposed to the history, racing, etc. Likewise, As the 80s wore on, and especially after Enzo died, the cars changed radically from the 60s and 70s cars. At this point, I think the term is pretty much dead because there are very few people remaining from that era.

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I believe the Fiat era Ferraris are used to describe the period between Enzo and LdM. It was a period of much soul searching. When the old man died they brought in a ton of "suits" from Fiat and they didn't really jibe with the culture at Ferrari.

psych0hans likes this.
  4. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    They weren’t trail rated until the post-fiat era.

5. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    There was a Mike Sheehan market column from many years ago in which he described/enumerated the various Ferrari production "eras" using the Enzo, Fiat and LdM descriptors, and the descriptors stuck.

G. Pepper, Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So when did LdM begin?

7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    This is probably heresy, but I estimate that the 308 is the most recognized Ferraris of all time, to the masses. I recall one time that I had a 1982 308 GTSi - I paid $21K for it - that was only in fair condition, and I put it in a local car show/fundraiser here. There were some pretty darn nice rides in that show at least for a small town. An Aston Martin, a Ford GT, a Carrera GT, a near perfect Pantera, and some other cool cars. Guess who won the "Mayor's Choice?" The Ferrari, worth less than a Honda Accord. I asked her later why she picked my car, and she said "hey, it's a Ferrari." :D

CoreyNJ, G. Pepper, JP365 and 2 others like this.
  8. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    First came the ENZO ERA. From day 1 into the early 1970s. These are the Ferraris that are revered and that you cannot afford to buy. They were virtually hand made (especially the earlier ones) in very small quantities. Cost was not of much concern. They just priced the cars high enough to turn a profit. With so few to sell and no competition, they could do that. There really wasn't anything else being made that came close. These cars were special and are considered the best of all the the immediate post-war cars made. They all had V12 engines. Although production was small, there were many, many different models. The last real Enzo era car was the 275 GTB. The Daytona was the first car to bridge the 2 eras, the Boxer was the last car in the bridge. By the mid-70s the Enzo era was history.

The FIAT ERA began at the end of the Enzo era - duh. The gas crisis and the EPA regulations (smog) were major factors as was Enzo's old age. Watch the Ford v Ferrari movie to get an idea of what was happening. Ferrari had to change to keep alive. they had to modernize the way they did things. Enzo made a deal for fiat to buy control of Ferrari. Fiat wanted to build more more cars and make more money. As Fiat began to take over Fiat sourced parts began to be used in ferraris to reduce costs. The first car to bridge into the Fiat era was the Dino. It was the little Ferrari. Was it really a Ferrari??? Really a joint venture between Fiat and Ferrari as the same engine was used in the Fiat Dinos. For the purists, this was the beginning of the end. The first real Fiat era cars were the 308 and the Testarossa The cars were viewed as being lesser than the Enzo cars. My girlfriend at the time called 308s 'glorified Fiats.' Although the 308 is looked on fondly now, it was not so when it was new. It was good, but not a 275 GTB or a Lusso or a 250 SWB. It was what was needed - not what was wanted.

During the Fiat era Ferrari was losing prestige and sales were not as desired. Times were tough (Vietnam,oil embargo, smog rules) and the cars (all cars really) were suffering. LdM was brought in to right the ship. He was an Enzo confidant and friend. He famously stated that the 348 was not worthy to be called a Ferrari.
    Things began to change in the Luca d. The cars got bigger and more practical. Quality was improved. Prices jumped. They were made to the new world standard. So the LdM ERA began. The 355 was the transition car between eras. The 360 and the 550 were Luca era cars.

A new era began about 2010 - the SUPERCAR ERA. Suddenly even the V8 cars have ridiculous performance. Suddenly there are a million manufacturers building cars to compete with Ferrari. Something is going to happen and all of these cars are going to disappear. Then all the eras will be history

9. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    that's a thoughtful write-up! Thank you!

paulchua likes this.
  10. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    I believe this article was published in 2009. https://ferraris-online.com/60-years-and-three-ages-of-ferrari/

Texas Forever, Bryanp and paulchua like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    To me there are 4 eras

Early Enzo - 125 S and Daytona the bookends

Late Enzo - 365 GTC/4 and 456 the bookends

LDM Era - F355 and F8 series the bookends

Public Era - Portofino starts it

papou, G. Pepper and Texas Forever like this.
  12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    good read. I took note of the comment that said (paraphrase), that the mass production cars after Enzo have “flat-lined” and represent “no enduring value”.

Well, I know I sold a decent 82 308 for $27K around the time of his article, and I think they a solid $20-30K above that now. I also sold two 348s a couple years later for the low $40s. Add $15K to them now.

paulchua likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great write up, I really enjoyed reading this. Funny how so many folks hated the Dino and called it a "Fake" Ferrari. My how time change.

Husker likes this.
  14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    watch the 308s over the next 10 years...

paulchua likes this.
  15. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    You gotta add at least one zero to begin talking about what Enzo era cars are going for.

Husker and paulchua like this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    To expand a bit of why I choose these terms and cars, let me expound.

The 125 S being the first Ferrari although some could argue I'm sure some Alpha Romeo as the 'true' First. I choose the Daytona and not the Dino because the Daytona is introduced in 1968 before Fiat took 50% control in early 1969. Dino 206 introduced in 1967.

The 365 GTC/4 I feel is the actual 'first' bridge model, and upon reflection, I put it back in the Early Enzo since based on the Daytona platform.
    I prefer using the "Late" Enzo vernacular since Enzo still was alive and had a say with certain cars like the F40. The trio of the 308 GT4, 365 BB, and 365 GT4 being what I assume as the first real Late Enzo portfolio.' I use the 456 as the bookend since it unveiled in 1991 - a year before LDM took over.

It's no secret that LDM used the F355 to spearhead his credentials, and his ouster in 2014 didn't mean his fingerprints aren't on the 458 (hence the 488 announced in 2014, and subsequent F8.)

Or The Cali, F12 (subsequent 812 and 812 Aperta) and FF (subsequent GTC4 Lusso) - The F8 the last model based on LDM's "DNA," so to speak.

I argue the Portofino and subsequent SF90 are the first two cars under the direction of the late Sweater (RIP) man and the Public era.

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    No doubt. Yet my dad bought a 1963 250 GTE for $6500 in approx. 1979. Needed some rust remediation and a respray. My mom got it in their divorce in 1983 and sold it for $3500. Today’s cheapo Ferrari = tomorrow’s ????

Fun to sit back and watch!

308 milano and paulchua like this.
  18. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    The later cars - post about 1987 - face 2 daunting hurdles in their move to appreciate.

1 - Production numbers are much higher than the earlier cars

2 - All of the sensors, electronics, and control modules they have will be very hard to repair or replace in the future. I think this is the big hurdle - can the 'electronic era' cars be kept on the road.

paulchua likes this.
  19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    While I'll never understand why chips work fine in Toyotas, but don't in Ferraris, the notion later cars are throw-a-aways hasn't come true. In fact, there are plenty of after-market workarounds for late model Ferraris. They are still machines. Machines can be fixed.

papou likes this.
  20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Sheehan wrote a pretty comprehensive treatise on this in Sports Car Market a few years ago.

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What did he say?

22. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    My Dad bought 0556(0446)MD for $2,200 in 1960 and sold it for $5M 58 years later; so add three zeroes and then double that w/ some extra!

Texas Forever and 308 milano like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Here is the article my friend

I self servingly prefer the term early enzo (1950s-1969/late enzo (1970-1988)

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  24. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

That would be absolutely Grand!;)

The way things in my life work, I would buy it for $2200 and then get sued for $5 mil!

Bryanp likes this.
  25. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    $5 million for a Dino sounds unbelievable. They really didn't make Dinos until the late 1960s. Maybe one of the race cars...??