Ontario contemplating change to... no front plates?!? | FerrariChat

Ontario contemplating change to... no front plates?!?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by myronx19, Mar 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
  2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I certainly hope the front license plates are scrapped too. They destroy the look of the front of just about any car.

That said the rise in the use of cameras for traffic monitoring has made it more important to be able to identify cars from both the front and the back. In addition police officers use the front license plate as the reflection point for laser radar So it will be an uphill battle for a practical standpoint.

One thing I would like to see is the quality of the license plates increase. At present the license plates are terribly bad and deteriorate very quickly. I cannot understand why they are not able to offer a more durable license plate. In addition it is technically against the law to put a cover over the plate even if it is clear. Kind of funny when you think that the ministry itself sells them. Seems like entrapment to me :)

myronx19 likes this.
  3. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    The plates used to be painted, now they have some type of a 3M wrap that peels off. My plate in my truck is just over 5 yesrs old and peeling. Going to see if they will replace it tomorrow ormifmthey want to charge me for it.

4. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I had mine replaced at no charge. I was told if it falls in a certain number sequence they would be replaced for free.

5. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    They replaced mine free of charge. Nice and shiny new for my new truck on Thursday

6. ArtOnWheels

ArtOnWheels Rookie

Sep 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    It was the plates in Ontario that started with “B” that were defective. No charge to replace. As for the no front plate thing they were talking on the news about it so maybe it’s gaining traction. I never put mine on but maybe at least it will at some point be legal! First time a Ferrari forum is cheering on a Ford...go Doug!

hessank, of2worlds and Nuvolari like this.
  7. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    More often than not, it's the police associations that want to retain front plates. Otherwise, there really is no reason to have them.

psych0hans and myronx19 like this.
  8. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’m indifferent to it.
    I doubt they save lives or whatever, and at the same time it doesn’t bother me to have them on my cars. The “damage” to my cars is already done.
    Tbh, I’m surprised that outside of some guys on sites like this, there was enough of a concern for the government to revisit it. It can’t possibly buy very many votes come election time.
    Seems like a pretty trivial matter compared to some other things, and doesn’t really change the quality of anyone’s life in a tangible way.

9. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    I bought a vehicle from Quebec a few months ago and haven't installed my front plate hoping this would go through

Anyone have an update on whether or not this will happen?

ThatFlyGuy likes this.
  10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Ontario has made it very clear that they will NOT be changing their front license plate laws. There is no evidence to suggest anything to the contrary is in the works so there is no point waiting

myronx19 likes this.
  11. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    Really? Damn... will likely keep rolling the dice then... don't want to drill the front bumper

12. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Maybe its not about votes...its more about doing the right thing with this govt unlike the tax and spend govt of the previous 14 years. I haven't had a front plate on my car for the last 15 years and have only been stopped twice for it and nothing became of it. If this govt has talked about it then it will become fact sooner or later. They didn't talk much about ending the emission testing either and then last October...boom it was announced that it would end in april.

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I rather they focus their energy to increase the series 400 highways to 110km/h or 120km/h like it was 45 yrs ago.

14. lowrider92

lowrider92 Rookie

Apr 28, 2009
    Fort Erie
    Full Name:
    Joseph Giliberti
    I imported my 328 from the USA where it was not required to have a front plate therefore it did not have a front license plate bracket. I never bothered to install a bracket just so I could have a front plate. Ive been driving without one ever since. That was 12 years ago and I drive aprox. 1000 miles/year. Just saying

15. ArtOnWheels

ArtOnWheels Rookie

Sep 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    Same here man. I’m playing the odds with 3 possibilities...
    1. Nobody notices
    2. They notice but do nothing because they agree there should be no front plate on a Ferrari
    3. I get a ticket

2/3 works for me. And to think now it has to be blue!

16. ThatFlyGuy

ThatFlyGuy Karting

Jul 10, 2020
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Cy Sawyer
    I refuse to drill into the bumper for the plate. I keep mine in the car handy. When I do get pulled over I toss it on the dash. I've done this with many cars.

There are now some pretty cool solutions. There is a license plate bracket that screws into the front tow hook hole. You can remove it and put it back on whenever you please. The only thing is the plate is offset and not centered of course.

17. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I put a sto n go in my car. Now no reason to be pulled over. No drilling. No offset, and it is removable.
    https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/

18. ThatFlyGuy

ThatFlyGuy Karting

Jul 10, 2020
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Cy Sawyer
    Can you add a pic? I don't see a Ferrari option on their website. In fact, first time ever I've seen Lotus listed but not Ferrari lol.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

19. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I just checked their website and also do not see it. Maybe try contacting them

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ThatFlyGuy likes this.
  20. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Unfortunately very few police officers will accept putting a plate in the window as a roadside 'fix'. In fact having your plate in the front window goes against the HTA and is not allowed. Don't shoot the messenger its just the way it is.

On the bright side we do offer license plate mounts for almost every Ferrari model from 1947 to present. Our mounts are totally self-contained, require no holes, glues, or tapes and position the plate in the middle. Lots of our customers do carry them in the trunk and, with a 5 second on installation, they represent a legally acceptable roadside fix to avoid getting a ticket.

In case you are wondering, all of our mounts are designed and manufactured in Canada and orders ship out of our Toronto warehouse.

More info and online ordering:

https://carbonio.com/collections/ferrari

psych0hans and ThatFlyGuy like this.
  21. ThatFlyGuy

ThatFlyGuy Karting

Jul 10, 2020
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Cy Sawyer
    I know, But it has worked in the past on my Lotus and Corvette.