Dave Seibert | FerrariChat

Dave Seibert

Discussion in 'Who's Who in Ferrari Universe' started by Challenge64, Jul 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Dave Siebert passed away two days ago - July 6th, 2020

For those that don't know, he basically ran the Ferrari Historic Challenge for many years as well as was a plethora of Ferrari knowledge.

For me, when I was in the Ferrari Challenge, the two of us talked about scale model Ferraris to no end.

While his passing is sad, he had health problems for many decades. RIP Dave

https://www.facebook.com/DavidGSeibert

StregaP, Bryanp, Dincenzo and 3 others like this.
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So sad, but I know he had lots of medical issues for quite some time. He was a Ferrari knowledge base for sure. He had some really good stories about the Old Man and Piero... he's at peace!

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #3 Marcel Massini, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    David G. Seibert in Atlanta was a Ferrari friend of mine for 40 years. Dave was a teacher and IBM instructor, and owned many Ferraris over the years. This included a 212 Inter Cabriolet, a 275 GTB and a 500 TRC Spider.
    He was also publisher and editor of the Ferrari Club of America members magazine "Prancing Horse" from 1987 onwards and together with Casey Clavin (Brickhouse Communications) published an outstanding magazine for much more than a decade. The FCA owes Dave a lot. Dave Seibert was also responsible for the Ferrari Challenge Series in the U.S. and did a great job of dealing with the politics of FNA (and there was lots). Dave was also THE man at John Barnes' Cavallino events held at Moroso (later PBIR Palm Beach Int'l Raceway).
    Dave developed very serious health issues in the 1980s. He was the longest surviving double lung transplant person in the world, well over 30 years.
    In about 1984, during a visit at Dave's home in Atlanta, I had an afternoon to kill which I spent in my hotel room in a Holiday Inn somewhere in ATL. That's where I developed the idea for the book "Ferrari by Vignale" and Dave and I - just from memory and without any notes - started a little handwritten list of all the Ferrari chassis bodied by Carrozzeria Vignale. That was the beginning of my 2nd Ferrari book which finally came out in 1993 by Giorgio Nada Editore of Milan, Italy. I continued to see Dave regularly at Moroso, every January, and we emailed back and forth all the time. A true Ferrari enthusiast.

Dave's death is a massive loss for the U.S. Ferrari community.
    Goodbye David, RIP.

Marcel Massini

StregaP, Bryanp, Robb and 10 others like this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    He was always very helpful and a great organizer, RIP Sir.

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Really hate to hear this. Fair winds and following seas.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  7. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    On Tuesday, July 7th, the Ferrari world lost a giant and I lost a great friend. I first saw David Gilpin Seibert at the racetrack back in the early nineties. I didn't know who he was but from all that he came in contact with, I could tell he was someone of great importance. He was the creator of the Ferrari Challenge in North America and the Cavallino Classic Competition in Palm Beach, FL. He was also a Ferrari historian. I have always prided myself on knowing Ferrari's history and specs of the various models. Next to David, there was no comparison. He knew individual cars by serial numbers and engine displacements by sound alone. A visit to his home was like a field trip to Santa's workshop! Filled with all kinds of racing memorabilia and goodies from the Ferrari factory in Italy, reserved for special clients only. He was a racer himself and knew firsthand most of the tracks and drivers. And if you ever found yourself in the market for that rare, seven figure, vintage Ferrari, he knew where to find it, and the history of its ownership. He had a photographic memory, which was needed for the wealth of information that his extraordinary mind contained. Although his mind was strong, his body was often very weak. He was one of the longest living recipients of a double lung transplant. This may have slowed him at sometimes, but it didn't stop him from living a wonderful and colorful life! I was honored to be recognized by him for my work in 2011 at the Ferrari Club of America Annual Meet in Savannah, GA. Thank you David, for that and all of the great memories. You will be missed, but never forgotten, as long as there is still a prancing horse on the open road. Rest easy my friend.

8. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    While I have zero rank in the world of Ferrari collecting, I met Dave at the Ferrari Challenge races. What a wealth of knowledge and just plain enjoyable conversation. Even if he wasn't talking to you directly it was always something to hear what he had to say. I will say I was extremely honored when he walked in the shop at FoA and actually called me by name. I would have never thought he even knew my name. He will be greatly missed be the entire Ferrari world.

StregaP and Texas Forever like this.
  9. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Rest In Peace. He left behind much to read and learn.

Robb

StregaP and Texas Forever like this.
  10. cbennett13

cbennett13 Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Courtney Bennett
    Mr. Massini thank you for the kind words about David. He was one of my closest friends and we have enjoyed weekly lunch together for the past several years. I've know David for many years and though we lived only a few miles apart, Luigi Chinetti introduced us years ago. David will be truly missed. We are planning to have a memorial gathering of friends and family in the coming year to pay tribute to David and his many friendships. Will keep all posted.

Kindest Regards,

Courtney Bennett

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Just saw this. Better late than never, though.

VERY sorry to hear about DS' passing. Condolences to his family.

CW