NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 23 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Doesn't matter. It's far too heavy. So the old platform is better. And who wants an electric drive-train?

JTSE30 and day355 like this.
  2. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Maserati just unveiled their twin turbo V6, quite impressive; “the engine takes the shape of a twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 that weighs less than 220 kilograms (485 pounds). It uses a dry sump and an F1-derived pre-chamber combustion system featuring twin-spark plugs.

And now for the juicy output numbers – 630 horsepower at 7,500 rpm and 730 Newton-meters (538 pound-feet) of torque between 3,000 and 5,500 rpm. It revs up to 8,000 rpm and has a firing order of 1-6-3-4-2-5. It boasts a specific power output of 210 hp / liter and represents the first new engine developed by Maserati in 20 years.”

https://www.motor1.com/news/431697/maserati-nettuno-engine-specs-revealed/

I expect both Fezza’s and Macca’s TT V6 to be more impressive though.

SVR, MalibuGuy and crinoid like this.
  3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    This is pretty intriguing. If Ferrari were to go with a 3 liter V6, then perhaps many engine parts would be based on the 4 Liter V8 in the SF 90. Pistons, liners, valves could be borrowed.

So maybe the little brother would make a similar HP. Let’s say 640 with 735 Nm torque.
    Do we think the hybrid electric motors would be similar to the SF90?
    This might give us an idea of the combined power package.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  5. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    We’ll have to wait and see if she’s more ‘Dino’ or ‘LB’. Either way I’m excited for the next generation of Maserati, it deserves to be a standalone brand (and return to it’s heritage) and not to be overshadowed by Ferrari. I hope COVID and the current economic situation don’t squander their plans.

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They delayed the launch date already because of CV19 so I doubt they would do it again.

7. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    I’m more worried about their financial position. McLaren was put in a tough spot recently and Aston is still going through it. Maserati has obviously been spending a lot of money/resources on R&D recently with the outlook that they can produce and regain their investment at a certain time horizon, since that has changed their financial position could be vulnerable. I certainly hope not, and I’m looking forward to Sept. to see what they’ve been working on.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, I don't buy it. McLaren is a stand alone company. Apples and oranges.

9nb likes this.
  9. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Good point, hopefully you’re correct

TheMayor likes this.
  10. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    The project is better than the SF 90, in many aspect. But guys, concerning the sound, it s still a panic feeling :D

9nb likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    When is reveal again?

12. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Sorry, i can t answer to this, F8 is for sale

SoCal to az likes this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Ferrari made sure all the orders were placed for the 488 spiders and Pistas before they revealed the F8 . I dare say the same will happen again with either LB or even F8 VS ;)

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Two things wrong with a V6 turbo. Its a V6 and its a turbo. Add in the electric motor and its three for three. But that's just me.

15. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    Apparently, this platform is lighter than the “old” platform that underpins the 458/488/F8. This is the future. It’s not a matter of “want”, it’s a matter of adaption and survival. The most adaptable, survives. That’s the natural way of things. If you are Euro, you know about the ever stricter Euro emissions, even the exhaust cameras, everything is choking ICE engines output and exhaust sounds. The handwriting is on the wall. In order for Ferrari to survive, electrification will have to be applied. This application for the SF90 Stradale is a part of the adaptation. And you will see it with the LB, just as Aston Martin is applying Electrification to the upcoming mid engined Vanquish. They’ve already shown their hot “V” twin turbo V6. Again, to produce well over 700 hp, meet admissions, and have great traction, electrification is a “necessary evil” which you are going to have to get used to it.

Besides, Enzo famously didn’t care what his customers wanted...

16. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Despite the warning, you still give me hope for the future.
    Thank you for the insight...

17. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Everytime it s possible, i repeat to them " you must produce a P80C design with less than 1500 kg and a few good sound ".
    A kind of Ferrari s 600 LT
    Until now, they don t care:oops::D

18. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    That would be a killer combination, hopefully what they have planned is even better.

19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #569 Shadowfax, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    From what I can see the plan is luxury goods - and very weighty luxury goods - the enthusiast no longer being the meal ticket..

The writing is clearly on the wall - no need to struggle or rationalize the directional shift. Thankfully there are still other brands servicing the enthusiast - no problem. Ferrari has become a "once upon a time" story when they made light weight pieces of kit for real driving. The only hope I can see is if they make the Fxxk a production model and include that in in the current line up immediately.

JTSE30, Shack and day355 like this.
  20. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Unfortunatly no...

Shadowfax likes this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yep definitely not better. Heavier though - and unnecessarily complex. And very shiny like gold.
    It will take a lot of weight reducing CF and a lot less electronics to swing the pendulum back the other way.

22. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    And if you have driven a 600LT you will understand the above

Shadowfax likes this.
  23. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    #573 maha, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    some of day355's posts echo anger and despair. i wonder if there will be any more options left for enthusiasts even for the super wealthy customers. for example" v12s will only be offered as high priced models". a mixture of v6s v8s and v12s are welcomed but ditching v12 ? unimaginable.. i wouldn't mind even a complete EV...

recent ferrari patent of a ev/hybrid shows sports car with rigid frame with some sort of removable battery structure or whatever...

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    you can find full pdf here- https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/the-15-new-models-by-2022-what-we-know.594854/page-25#post-147308420

and by the way what this could be?
    /////////
    viedo of the mule https://www.instagram.com/p/CB_AH2_jcw-/

SVR likes this.
  24. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Hard to tell if that’s the first production prototype or a 488 mule that we’ve seen before.

I think the only choices left for enthusiasts are Porsches. I’ve been contemplating a 718 Spyder for a while; 4.0l flat 6, 1400kg, and 420ps with all the comfort of a modern car and most importantly with a manual. Seems to me like a good honest sports car.

sampelligrino likes this.
  25. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    That would be a great idea for an Icona. What about the F167? Isn’t that suppose to be the enthusiast’s choice?