And she's home! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

And she's home!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Justicepool, Jun 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yeah, it's no fun to drive with the top down in 100 degree heat but in the mornings it's cool in the 70s still so there is plenty of top down weather if you pick the right time of day. When we take the Portofino to the marina it's top down on the way in the morning and top up on the way back in the afternoon. That's one reason I didn't mind giving up the 488 Spider to get the 812, we still have the Portofino for top down and the 812 has great AC.

Car looks great.

Justicepool likes this.
  2. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    I told my wife I understand why I see so many "older" men wearing "old man" hats with brims.....:D:D:D.....now I need to get one for some sun protection. I've always driven with the top down, and I want to continue to do so.

wrs likes this.
  3. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
  4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Good call, I put those on my 13 Cali 30 when I had it, nice tires.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Similar here. You can get about 5 degrees of relief by driving it into the country away from the DFW heat island effect, especially early morning before the sun is too high...T

Justicepool and wrs like this.
  6. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Been a great road trip to the metroplex. On the way home with a quick stop to see the in-laws in Mineral Wells. Had the top down all the way here, will put it down again for the remainder of the 285 miles home.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Looks razor sharp with those tinted windows!!!

Justicepool likes this.
  8. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Congratulations, beautiful car! I'm jealous you are driving it so much, mine's still in quarantine in my garage in Fort Lauderdale, that will change this week when I bring it home to Key West. Looking forward to an epic, scenic drive along the Overseas Highway. Did you tint the windshield as well?

Justicepool likes this.
  9. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I sat in a 458 Spider yesterday at a dealer that had a tinted front windshield--that was the first time I have ever seen one from behind the wheel!

10. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    I am wondering the same thing. I got all the glass in my car tinted except the windshield. Did not want to mess with visibility or have issues going from state to state. Do you use a sun shade on your car when parked outside in the sun, or the tint you feel is sufficient alone?

11. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I got my car tinted last week, including the windshield. It is noticeably cooler inside after parking in the sun, but I'm not sure if the windshield tint is adding anything. Next time I'll try the palm test and see if I can stand the heat on the dash top for more than a few seconds. I do wonder if my radar detector suction cup mount will harm the film.

12. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Yes, I had the windshield tinted at 50%. I've done this with several vehicles and it does not effect my vision through the windshield. It helps with bright lights and heat reduction. I still use a sun shield and radar detector with a suction cup. All good !

Andrew Pour and BLAMPEE like this.
  13. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Drove home yesterday with the top down the whole trip. About 340 miles. I took the "backroads" instead of I20 and really enjoyed the drive. Less traffic and much more scenery. A thoroughly enjoyable trip. I've had the California for just over a week and I've driven her almost 1100 miles. More than I drove my Spider in a year.

Busy week at work this week, so she won't see the road again until this weekend. I am very happy with my decision to get a California and encourage anyone on the fence to dive in and get one. A truly fantastic offering from Ferrari. I'm glad I held out for one with cruise control (although it can be retro-fitted on some models), parking sensors, and a rearview camera.

On the initial drive on HWY 180 I didn't use cruise control and thought....well....don't really need it on the back roads. BUT, it wasn't long before I looked down and was well into the triple digits.....DOH.....back on cruise control. :D:D:D

I'm already planning a trip to Colorado for later this summer. Vroom vroom.

Bravo68 and BLAMPEE like this.
  14. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Thanks, you just settled it for me- I'm driving from Key West to Austin in October for the F1 Grand Prix. I always thought of little reasons not to do it in my Porsche- too long a drive, too much time away from work, blah, blah, blah. Not this year!

Justicepool likes this.
  15. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I got the 30% tint on my windshield that the shop recommended, now wish I had done 50%. I'll do that on my Portofino.

16. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    I highly recommend it. I drove 1087 miles in mine last week and really enjoyed it. I love window tint and hopefully that will help protect the leather in addition to reducing the heat. Looking forward to my next road trip.....hopefully sooner rather than later.

BLAMPEE likes this.
  17. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Next road trip is planned. Heading back to the Dallas area for Cars and Coffee on Saturday and Cavallinos & Caffeine on Sunday. Look forward to seeing any fellow Fchat members in the area this weekend. Excited to be driving the Ferrari at every opportunity as contemplated!!!

18. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Well I'm starting to do what i told myself I wouldn't do.....spending money tinkering with my car ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. But I guess that is part of what I enjoy about owning cars. So, I installed a carbon fiber rear license plate holder and really like the look of it so much more than the aluminium piece. Next will be carbon fiber door sills, carbon fiber front air vents, and maybe a front valance. And of course the stereo upgrade is in the works, just planning it out at the moment. And maybe an internal radar/laser system. SMH. $$$$$

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm not a huge CF fan, but the door sill is a major plus in my opinion...T

20. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    It has grown on my over the years. There can be too much, imho, but I do like it in certain locations. I am also contemplating having the rear aluminium piece painted Rosso Corsa and seeing how it looks. I know the texture will be different, but I think it would look good body color. I actually would prefer the side vents to be silver like the handling package cars, but don't want to "falsely" advertise that my car has that package. I do love the contrast the silver provides.

21. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I wonder if there's a wrap that would match rossa corsa ... easily removable and probably less than painting it.

tomc and Justicepool like this.
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Agreed, I would hesitate on silver fins for the same reason. I have seen a car with CF fins, but it was white as I recalled.
    User @4th_gear has upgraded his Cali - a white one - with some CF exterior bits, and it is a very nice look IMO.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Are you thinking about painting the part under the rear cavallino in red?
    T

23. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    I'm sure there is one that would be similar, but a paint job would be the closest for color matching. My only concern is the appearance of the surface texture. I think I'm going to explore this option. For now, the carbon is an appearance upgrade in my opinion .

24. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.

Yes, that is the part that I replaced with carbon fiber, but I'm thinking of taking the original piece and painting it rosso corsa.

tomc likes this.
  25. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    SAFE4NOW, tomc and Justicepool like this.