Which V12 to buy? 550M vs 599 GTB vs 612 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which V12 to buy? 550M vs 599 GTB vs 612

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by peruchali, Jun 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Funny to read about a 550 being a slow car.

BTW, I love yellow.

ralfabco likes this.
  2. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I would never considered the 550 slow it’s just perfect and the power delivery is sublime.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    599 felt floaty to me - 612 oto is my vote.

-K1- likes this.
  5. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Interesting. I think my 612 OTO is "floaty" in Comfort mode. It's fine in Sport. Mine does not have the HGT2 package with its larger anti-roll bar. Do you recall what tire pressures you use? The owner's manual says 33 front, 30 rear for 20" tires.

6. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    599. Lots of room for tall guys. Beast of an engine. Comfortable on long cruises.

Caphill and Texas Forever like this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh whatever the sticker in the door jam calls for

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    A manual 612 is probably the most fun of these options to drive. It depends what rings your bell, though. 550 has classic panache. 599 is more like modern Ferraris like the F12, but not so involving at road speeds. It has the Enzo-derived engine which beats the others.
    If you don’t like manuals, the argument for 599 is much stronger.

Caphill and Texas Forever like this.
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I wonder where the OP went? First and only post (joined on the same day) and so many good responses. Hope he's test driving the cars on the list.

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Profile suggests he looked in just before your post but sadly so often there are single post members who never feedback to our help

11. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi Vik

This was an older post from me.
    Perhaps it helps to get the correct decision.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello together

As many know, I added a 599 GTB to my 550.
    I own the 550 since 2010, it was my 1st Ferrari.
    2015 I decided to get a 599 GTB in addition, after thinking about changing the 550 to a 599.
    And i have to say that I'm really happy not to sell the 550.

Both cars are great
    You could believe that there is no reason to have both, 2x V12 front engine, so both are the same.
    It isn't.

The 550 is a relaxing car, still very fast, nice to drive, and with Michelin Pilot SS, John's steering relay and Fabio's 6-1 exhaust system the best thing to drive. The car is just perfect in this spec.

The 599 GTB is damn fast, with the wider Michelin Pilot SS (255 + 315) very direct and makes a lot of fun.
    The 599 is felt, less relaxing to drive, but in reality it isn't.
    I was on a 800 Km 1 day Swiss alps and North Italy trip in Oktober, about 9-10 hours pure pass driving.
    At the evening when i came home, I got out of the car as I was driving 30 Km.

When I have to decide what car I would hold, it would be the 550 (the 6-1 exhaust system makes this decision very clear).
    So the next thing is to get the 6-1 system for the 599 GTB, and then it would be not as clear what car would be the keeper.

Lucky to know, that there is no reason to sell one.
    :)

Drove the F12, really fine car, goes like hell in higher revs, but I like more the 599.

Daniel

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Do you have a sound clip of the exhaust system?
    Awesome cars... personally I’d prefer the 550!

13. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    550 is the last of the last.

No cup holders, digital video game dash, automatic trans, Bluetooth, and obnoxious body work.

The 550 is somewhat compact when you compare the vehicle, to mammoth size modern supercars.

Last affordable 2 seat V-12 with analog gauges and a gated shifter.

DZ-96 likes this.
  14. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
  15. peruchali

peruchali Rookie

Jun 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vik Dev
    OP went no where and is right here!!! OP is usually a lurker in forums and some times posts :p

The responses from you wonderful folks beats any other forum that I have ever been a part of. In fact there are more responses here than the 'mandatory' survey that HR conducts at work. I am truly grateful and thank each and every one of you for your responses.

I currently have my eye on the 599 and am trying to get in one to test it. In an ideal world, yes, I would have all three. But we have to start with the collection one by one. 599 first ? only time will tell.... I have my fishing net out :p

When I get my car, I promise to post pictures in this thread. OP will deliver!!!!!

16. ElectricFerrari

BANNED

Jul 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Electric
  17. AlexBen

AlexBen Rookie

Dec 8, 2019
    Very interesting topic of conversation, and great contribution from the various members. Without digressing from the original topic, at about the same price point, would the OP consider an FF? Another great V12 and great gearbox, and unique shape, even though unlikely to be a “collector” per se in the long run.

18. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    My five cents worth. The 550. When I drove the 599 years back. I was not impressed and said I would not trade my 550 for it. But the F12 is very interesting. I would not have any ferrari that was not the wet clutch , dual clutch.

19. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    How did you like the mid engine cars? Are you sure you want a front engine V12? I’ve had a 550 and now F430. The mid engine cars and front V12 could not be more different. Whatever car you decide on, make sure you get to test drive/experience it! No wrong choice here.

mmyhorses and Texas Forever like this.
  20. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    No one’s going to suggest an FF?

21. peruchali

peruchali Rookie

Jun 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vik Dev
    OP is back! I concluded that for me the 599 is the best fit as the first Ferrari. Just arrived today. Welcome home!

Thank you friends.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

DOWORKFCAR, AandSC, Il Tifoso and 5 others like this.
  22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Congrats. I have one as well, in black on black. I moved from a 328 to a 599... but my reasoning was that having driven all the Montezemolo era cars the 599 was the one that stood out the most. after that was the 550. I do miss the shifting in the 328 and how small it was, but the 599 is such a nice all round car - way bigger than other Ferraris... that is about its only real down side. is how wide and large it is...but when you are driving you don't feel the size.

I've had it on track once - and it is Mighty fast... but for me its about the driving - up in the North Ga mountains its amazing and in race mode - the sound is fantastic! Congrats again - I think you made the right decision.