Viper Owners ??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Viper Owners ???

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by mikesufka, Jan 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It will be a tight fit, suggest sitting in one first.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I'm 6'3" and 240 and its snug. Don't own one but have sat in a few. ZR1 is snug too if comparing to the other big wing car out there.

Thecadster likes this.
  3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I had an '01 Viper and I felt comfortable. I was 6'1" and 220lbs

Thecadster likes this.
  4. otterbeinjumper

otterbeinjumper Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Michael
    At 6’ 2” and 250, I could used a diet and a seat lowering kit in my 98 GTS. Have yet to sit in a gen v.

Thecadster likes this.
  5. carless

carless Formula Junior

May 20, 2005
    So. Ca.
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had a 16 ACR-E. 6’2 220 and a long torso. Lowered my seat and it was still cozy. If you like the car you will deal with it. Removing the cats are a must to keep the cabin cool. I do miss it. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

MotorMouth, anunakki, BJK and 3 others like this.
  6. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Been eyeing thede for years. I am the prime demographic who had one one the wall as a kid. Which means they sre gonna skyrocket in price now

7. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    For the too tall or long normal procedure was to remove the seat tracks and bolt directly to the floor. Good HF cats are much cooler than the stock cats and pass sniff tests. Also I had removable cats replaced by straight pipe using V bands. This requires readily avilable cat syms to be used. However I have seen the secondary cat sensors left hooked up out of the way but basicaly dangling in the wind with no cel lights gen 2,3 and 4.

LightGuy and Thecadster like this.
  8. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I had a Gen 2 and a Gen 4. If you get a Gen 2, get a 2001 or 2002 with ABS. Otherwise, plan on upgrading the brakes as the non ABS models have crappy brakes. The 2000-2002s are called cream puffs since they don’t have forged pistons and can’t be tuned to high hp without replacing the pistons. 2000 is the lowest priced since no ABS and cream puff.

Gen 4, while it doesn’t have the classic look, is miles ahead in terms of the engine and how it drives.

I didn’t like my Gen 2, has the classic look and it’s a beautiful car but to me it drove kinda ****ty. Also sounds like crap. If you get one and take the cats out and upgrade the suspension and brakes, it’ll be much better but in an old school Cobra kind of way. Still not really my thing.

I really liked my Gen 4 and even though it doesn’t sound good, it’s much better than the Gen 2. That’s stock vs stock.

Gen 5 is my favorite, drove one but never pulled the trigger because I thought they’d come down more but they haven’t since production was stopped. Has the classic and beautiful look with an improved drivetrain. Also has a beautiful interior which was pretty much garbage on all other generations.

BJK likes this.
  9. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Thanks. Made an offer on a Gen 2 that isnt for sale. 2002 acr red on black with silver stripes. Didnt get to drive it but started it up and sat in it. Gave me butterflies I haven't had since my 360.

If it falls through and I think it will ill look into a gen 4

ryalex likes this.
  10. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The ACR is the best of the bunch as you know. I almost bought a 99 that had exhaust work done and a big brake kit. Sounded pretty nice as up to 99 they had a more aggressive cam.

For street and long trips, a Gen 4 ACR might be a bit rough suspension wise but I can’t say for sure as I’ve never been in one.

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    I don't do long trips mostly just tool around town. Wanted something different and this fits the bill. A lower production LeMans winning car? raw feel? unique design? checks alot of boxes. and apparently decent track car.

Boomhauer and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  12. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    I am a little concerned. I owned a 6 speed 360 and although the car sounded great i fell out of love with it quickly. I found i wanted a DD supercar and my new NSX does that perfectly. My 09 911TT is a wonderful fun car that I can also drive daily.

The Viper is intended as a once in a while cruiser. Had i kept the 360 would fill similar role but too much money to be tied up in that. Also found it slow. Viper seems more bang for buck

Is there overlap between the two? Viper sounds more raw way more torque down low. Is it still quick by modern standards?

ryalex likes this.
  13. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The Gen 2 will few slow compared to what you have but you still have to drive it carefully since it has virtually no nannies.

Gen 4 is still very fast with 600 hp and 560-600 ft-lb of torque. All Vipers are torque monsters for that matter.

I recommend you drive one first, check Turo in case there’s one to be rented.

You might feel differently than me since you’re used to your NSX and 911 Turbo but I don’t really miss the Vipers. They were great for when I wanted a 2nd car but now I find myself wanting to have just 1 that does it all.

However, if you want to spend 40-50k on a fun car they’re some of the best bang for your buck. Especially nowadays when most everything else is so pricey.

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    +1, I've wanted one of these for awhile, and yes the value is pretty straightlined.....ended up buying a Ford GT instead, so I'm out of the big engine, manual transmission game.

Art138 likes this.
  15. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You will not be happy with a gen 2 or 4 Viper from what you have written. Either look at a gen 5 Viper or something else.

16. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    No Turo here. Can't even find a Gen 2 to drive. Gen 5, good luck, looks like they barely made any. Can I get a non TA without that crazy wing? I can't find a car that does everything for me, or at least, haven't yet.

Hmmm...gen 5s are intriguing. shape is a throwback. Would need more money for this though. could just wait awhile.

17. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Where are you located? Maybe I misunderstood your question but most non TAs have no wing. Only the TA 2 has the big wing. Well that and the ACR.

18. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Annnd nope. gen 5s do nothing for me. Looked at em. No emotional response or attachment. Ugh.

When i saw that Gen 2 sitting there it looked gorgeous. Must be the deep seated attachment of having it on my wall. sigh. no response on the offer. Back to square 1 in todays edition of 1st world problems

19. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Gen 2 cars are good if you want the raw experience, but they are not quick by today’s standards. There are usually modified ones for sale with additional power.

20. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Middle of nowhere Canada.

Good summation. For a car i drive occasionally may not need the speed. Have other cars for that.

Thanks everyone. Feel free to post pictures of your Vipers

21. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
  22. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
  23. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
  24. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I've owned 3 G2's over the years: '99 ACR, '97 ROE supercharged & '00 GTS. I daily drove the '00 for 5 years and just sold it for a 575M.

The Viper has a lot of faults, but it is so much fun and rewarding when pushed hard that you ignore the faults. The G2 isn't going to keep up with a G4/5, but compared to most cars, it's still relevant.

It had relatively minor bolt ons that really transformed the car:
    K&N filters, smooth tube intake, headers, cat delete, 3" Mopar/Borla exhaust, lightweight flywheel, polyurethane engine & trans mount, short throw shifter & shifter lowering kit, solid steering rack mounts & removed steering rack stops, Coilovers (corner balanced), R888r Tires (315 front & 335 rear), Stoptech BBK & moved front brakes to the rear and a hydro hand brake.

Car put down 400whp/420wtq (same whp as my buddy's 458); ran 11.9@122; 60-130: 9.3 (faster than a C8) and in the mountains would keep up with anyone. Hands down the best shift feel of any modern car (including GT3). The car could take an absolute BEATING and have no problems. In 5 years the only problems I had were 2 u-bolt straps fail, AC compressor fail & alternator ingested so much rubber during a burnout that it failed (lol) and the car had 107k miles on it when I sold it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I drove the ACR 33 hours straight on a cross-country drive (in winter), that was stock with G3 brakes and B&B exhaust.

The '97 was a monster with 890whp and custom trans (no OD) for highway racing.

LightGuy, espvh, JOEV and 1 other person like this.
  25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Roe Racing Supercharged - are they still in business?
    Kenne Bell supercharger on top of Roe intake manifold?
    any problem getting equal boost pressure to all cylinders?

[​IMG]

espvh likes this.