Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PA32Pilot, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Holy crap!

Those black wheels look so bad ass!

I had that look on my Murcielago Roadster.

....and I didn't think you were going with the blame game lol
    Just like my friend Cassidy, bought a Testarossa, on his first oil change, found the shop over tightened the drain plug on the oil tank...the threads came right off with the plug. Did he cry in his cerial? Nope...just rolled up his sleeves and got to work on it.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yup, but he didn't buy his for a premium off a member of the forum that claimed perfect maintenance. Cassidy is a great guy, don't bring him into this.

m5shiv likes this.
  3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Like Cassidy, he couldn't control the unknown and neither can I.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

4. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nobody can control the unknown, but this poor buyer paid $80k for a 75k mile TR with a modded interior based on your reputation, whose diff blew within 50 miles . This sucks for him. The reality is the onus is on the buyer, but you made out like a bandit and its starting to get distasteful seeing you post.

jferrante and m5shiv like this.
  5. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Jamie, have been following your saga. You may want to look at Jimbo's "94 512 TR 66,000 mile major" documentation at post #532 to #540 where he found the same stripped threads when it came time to filling the trans. Take a look at what he did. Maybe it will give you a little more confidence at a lesser approach. EDoug

6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Basking in it??

I have no idea what you're talking about. The interior is OEM except for the steering wheel...which the original was included. The center vents are OEM 512tr with the OEM brown leather. There are no mods.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    are you smoking the same crack as the hookers you bang? you modded the steering wheel and the center vents. That's not original and those are mods. Drop it man, you got your money now leave the forum. I just hope for the poor buyer's sake that you didn't actually know the diff was blown. There I said it, everyone reading was already thinking it.

8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    The car just came back from a right rear wheel bearing. If the shop had seen anything out of the norm..it would be in the notes.
    I have hidden nothing.

...and you're getting bent out of shape over the steering wheel and vents? Pull the wheel and put the original on...his has both. The vents were done so you can pull out the 512tr vents and put back the original...no mods. The original trim was included with the car....as with every spare part I could find.

Stop beating a dead horse.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

9. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    The OEM rims are getting refinished and new tires.

My mom has a tendency to hit every curb she parks next to so no way I was going to leave stock rims on.

I originally bought a set of BBS rims from a FChat member but UPS lost one lol. So for now I am going to use an extra set of 355 rims I had in the garage.

I almost bought a merci. I just don’t think I’d keep it long term. If market drops enough I may snag one up just to enjoy for a few months.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Shamile like this.
  10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    beating a dead horse? no one has bothered to bring this up before out of respect for you. The guy overpaid for his TR that failed immediately. You claim to have been on top of the maintenance of this car yourself but then push the responsibility of the diff onto a shop? As a member of this forum for years you'd have to claim your head was stuck in the sand to imply you didn't know a diff was required by this point.

You want my opinion? You knew the diff was blown, stopped driving the car, and sold it. This poor guy had to pick up the pieces. It might be a stretch, but that's my opinion. And claiming the interior isn't modded? It's modded. Thats a black and white topic, which means your "concourse" wins were BS because any ferrari concours wouldn't award jack to a car with such mods. Just move on man, let the rest of us enjoy this space without the sleaze you bring to it.

11. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I have stood by everything I have said on the car.....Jamie has all the invoices and if the shop said something was off, it would be in the notes.
    If you don't believe I have won many platinum awards with the car....I can't convince you of that....and that's all there is.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    oh I believe you've won platinums, at local miami car shows, not at the kind of event that Rifledriver Brian officiates. Not at the kind of events that actually matter. Who cares what shops wrote on invoices or in notes, you know these cars, we all know you know these cars. You knew it was due for a diff and sold it for top dollar. With that said, best of luck to all. It had to be said and everyone reading this thread was thinking it. Enjoy.

lagunacc and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I am in awe at Jamie’s technical skills that’s for sure and the car looked great for the mileage. For 80k not much else was available, now depending what the total repair ends up 100k is another story but that’s another thread:)
    That being said as far as concours I don’t know but for sure u lose points for vents, steering wheel, Cavalino in the front , cavalino in the back and the side shields all depends on the judges and who you are facing that day but u sure get some for
    The mileage I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    To be fair anyone buying a Testarossa with original diff should be expected to pay to replace it. Hopefully not in 50 miles like mine lol.

I planned on doing the diff. I would have preferred to do it with the next engine out but it didn’t work out that way.

Yes dropping the engine and removing the crankcase is the correct way to do it. I chose not to because I was interested in getting the car back on the road sooner. The plan is to drain the oil and strain it after 50 miles and look for flakes. Then do it again after 100 additional miles. Yes I know there is a risk in debris getting into the front compartment and ruining transmission heats but I found no metal in the front. I flurried and sprayed it and no debris. I inspected with a borescope and no debris and gears looked good.

If I dropped the motor I would have spent 6 months basically rebuilding everything. Powder coating everything.

This repair cost me about $5k. In Italian exotics that’s chump change for repairs. Hell the day after the car arrived I spent $6k on a full Larini exhaust system and $4,000 on BBS wheels.

I’m hoping everything works out. If I find anything discerning in the oil when I drain it I’m parking the car and dropping the motor.

BOKE, V4NG0, turbo-joe and 3 others like this.
  15. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I commend your commitment to these awesome cars and am impressed by your skills. Keep up the amazing work.

m5shiv likes this.
  16. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Been fun, learned a lot. Looking forward to helping others as many did for me. Amazing how gracious members are here. Mailed me parts, made me parts, stayed up late helping. It’s been awesome and I can’t thank everyone enough

I now have specific tools I made for the project I’d be happy to loan out.

lagunacc, turbo-joe and xplodee like this.
  17. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I just wish I had 1 more quart of Redline! Lol. I could have started her up and tested for leaks.

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sad to hear/read this all

I don´t think so

I´m also sure that the diff has been broken already when shamile sold the car. but he has not known that the diff was broken. as also in other thread written, when a diff is broken you not feel it. best example newmann had this 2 times.

when I baught my car and shortly later my CP has been broken because of a before broken diff I wanted to let it all repaired by the seller. in germany/europe it is the law, that if something will be not ok within the first 6 month the seller has to prove that at the time of selling the failure has been not there. otherwise he has to repair on own costs. so I was fighting about 2,5 years at court and got all payed, even I repaired by myself. but before I started the court instructed an evidence-protection procedure and the seller then had to pay all with the court costs, more than 30.000 €
    so in this case here now I don´t know the US law when selling things and how it works with the warranty. but jamie has been very lucky to do all the work by himself. so as a courtesy and accommodating I think shamile should pay minimum 50 % of the costs jamie had.
    also shamile you see that your mechanic working on your car destroyed the thread from the drain plug in the housing. this can hapen always, but then he has to tell you this when you pick up the car again.
    only my own personal thinking just now without accusing somebody

in germany we have a saying:ignorance ( not knowing ) does not protect against punishment

so try to seal the plug and drive a little jamie ;)

19. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    wow German laws are brutal. Cant say I agree with this, but it all just points to my opinion that Shamille made out like a bandit in his TR ownership. Note to self, never buy a car from that guy.

lagunacc likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The German technical control is also very demanding ; not sure if a TR has to pas it given its age but for regular used car it’s very thorough! I’m French and the one in France isn’t remotely closed but already way more than the us state inspections for sure.

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    there are possibilities to go about this law. also you may know if you sell as a private party or as a business party
    from business to business: this law is not valid
    from private to private: this law is valid, but when both say that they not want this law it is also ok. but has to be written on the contract:
    to the exclusion of the legal liability for defects ( unter ausschluß der gesetzlichen sachmängelhaftung )
    from business to private. no possibility to avoid this law
    from privat to business: same as from private to private

as I know this is european law, not only german law, but not sure

22. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    PA32Pilot-

How many miles were on the car when you bought it?

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    right I often have trouble with them - or they have trouble with me ;)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  24. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    She’s alive. No oil leaks. Also no exhaust, straight pipes.

25. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Rev her up please