Warranty??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Warranty???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sargepug, May 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Is it really worth it?

1. Take Warranty

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. Pass

22 vote(s)
    51.2%
  1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I shake my head every time I hear about medical costs in the USA :(

IloveGT likes this.
  2. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Well, i've read and been told by previous owners, etc. that the 458's tranny and motor is pretty bulletproof. Interesting that you mentioned maintenance is included every year, that might close to pay for the cost in itself! Let me ask my rep about that and what the annual service costs.

3. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    So i spoke to my rep, to get the maintenance coverage implemented, it's an additional $500 a year. The annual maintenance cost, is $1,500-$2k, so still doesn't pay for me. I think I should roll the dice, given that she only has 4,900 on her now and max i'll drive is 2k a year. No intent on tracking here either...

jomarti1 likes this.
  4. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    i think all california after 2013 specialy cal 30 more reliable on roof mechanism and the DCT sensor these are common issues with erlier years ..

5. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    I get your point and for the most part agree with your assessment. However, comparing auto insurance for mechanical issue to health insurance is a little bit of a stretch. Your car is disposable but your life is not.

6. forhamilton

forhamilton Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Great info. Thanks guys!

7. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I have to ask this...

It is my understanding The extended warranty that covers power train and not the factory extension In some cases requires a compression test at time of warranty issuance.

If you ask and pay out of pocket for a compression test at month 11 of the 12 month coverage and are found to be out of spec would there be coverage to bring your compression back into spec?

So often we look at these warranties for the bigger picture items such as spun bearings, trans failure etc... but the above question seems valid and reasonable as they required the test to issue the warranty.

Full disclosure I am a self insured person....no warranty for me.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    You are correct.
    There is a time when New Power Warranty requires the compression test.

Funny thing you ask this because this exact thing just happened with a client recently.

To answer your question, as long as there is a failure of a component listed as covered, then obviously yes.

IF , the engine / intake carbon build up for example, that is not a failure of a component and therefore would not be covered.

The Service department has a detailed process to follow in the situation and with communicate with FNA as well as the factory while establishing the cause of a low compression situation.

What you do NOT want to do is let the previous watranty expire and expect to get something covered...

But that’s for an entirely different thread.

Steve

RaceMX-M3 and Solid State like this.
  9. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I promise my question is purely coincidental as I don’t know the person....

I can only imagine the stories you have. I always enjoy your input on threads.

I typically do not like dealing with dealerships but I have to say my Local F car dealer has been very over the top In a good way.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Compression test was required even if just had one a prior year. A good shop like Steve's will not charge for it (or very little) but I think that is rare. I never get extended warranties on anything yet this car has never been without it and I'm going on my seventh year with it. I think it's because no issue fixing anything else before but forget about these new cars. Could not imagine the feeling of uselessness if a bad noise came out of the engine or diff. Without the diagnostic equipment and experience database you would wish you bought the warranty. Just have them pick it up and bring it back brand new again from the folks that made it.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  11. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Some shops may not be aware, but " **Engine compression test is not required on vehicles less than 5 years old or with less than 31,068 mi. (50,000
    km) and if vehicle has had no engine problems. " So they will do the compression test anyways, as a base line. The electronic compression test take a fraction of the time
    a mechanical test takes, it only helps to have a record of what it is.

Usually as noted above, if a Ferrari is in for its annual service, there are only a few details on the New Power Warranty checklist that are not part of the annual service, so if an owner is doing one, there is no need to charge for the other.

S

Attached Files:

Solid State and Texas2step like this.
  12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I buy it and happily spend the money.

13. Ado4wd

Ado4wd Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Germantown, TN
    Full Name:
    Andrew O
    I purchased it my first year and it paid off big time, covering a new transmission and intake actuators. That’s nearly $50k I believe. It is also very helpful that it covers transport to the dealer which for me is a 6 hour drive.

Now that I have a new transmission I’m going to pass on renewing.

14. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    what year is your car ? if it was the sensor which 99% of the failed DCT in FF,458, California will be speed sensor
    most if not all the dealers can fx arround 5k .. see this thread
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/transmission-problem-ferrari-california-2011.556476/#post-145482977

15. Ado4wd

Ado4wd Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Germantown, TN
    Full Name:
    Andrew O
  16. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I opted out, doesn't seem to pay vs the odds. If I had high mileage and and early example, i might reconsider......

17. Donmoore1981

Donmoore1981 Rookie

Apr 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don J Moore
    Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice. I hope I am entering this into the right place. Recently my 2012 california was diagnosed with a faulty speed sensor which was replaced. In order to do this the whole back end of the car had to be dropped, transmission opened to replace the speed sensor. I no longer have error messages on the dashboard, but now while driving I have hard shifting from first to second and strange grinding in reverse. On top of that when I hit a bump in the road something is rattling in the back and the ride is much more bumpy as if my shocks are not connected properly. All work was done by a certified ferrari dealership on long island. Anyone else have these issues? Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me attempt to figure this out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I put $5k a year away in a separate account every year and I’ve owned 3 Fcars in 11 years. So far I’ve been very lucky with only minor things needed and I pay for routine maintenance out of pocket. Do the math on how much I have in that separate account for the last 11 years. If something major comes up that’s where the money will come from.

19. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    You are in the wrong place, this is 458/488/F8 land, but since my last post here, I took the power warranty and had an entirely new box installed in my 458. You are obviously going to the dealership off the L.I.E. and something is very wrong!!!!! I live in Westchester and have a house in the Hamptons, so I used them for service "once", on a Masi I kept out East. They dropped the ball multiple times on it, poor service. I have a phenom hook at Ferrari Wide World in Rockland and my service tech will definitely hook you up and get it right. They will even pick up your car for free w/ a flatbed. PM me, if interested in the info....

SAFE4NOW likes this.