458 - Do you think I will fit in racing seats? | FerrariChat

458 Do you think I will fit in racing seats?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by forhamilton, May 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. forhamilton

forhamilton Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I’ve been on the hunt for my first Ferrari. I love the racing seats, but I am a bigger guy and I’d like opinions on whether I will fit comfortably. The closest Ferrari dealer is 2 hours away and with Covid I don’t want to bother. I’m 6’ and 235, but my shoulders and lats are very wide. My hips and waist are never the issue.

I’ve owned many a Porsche RS and I fit in those buckets no problem. In fact, I find them comfortable. I cannot fit in the Audi R8 base Recaros. My race car seats are always slightly larger versions like the OMP WRC XL and fit great. I don’t mind snug race seats, but some seats are too narrow in the upper back area and I cannot sit all the way back because my lats are too wide.

Opinions? A couple of dealers have said they don’t think I will have any issues. I have not been able to find measurements online any where for the race seats. Anyone willing to take a picture and write in some measurements? Sincere thanks in advance from a desirous noob.

2. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    You will fit fine in the Large seats. You will feel a bit snug in the Lats but the shoulders are free. The seats are comfortable, supportive but not a true bucket so feels quite open. Good luck in your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LARRYH likes this.
  3. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I second this opinion.

I am 6' tall and weigh 255.
    I have very broad shoulders a my lats were better years ago but still wide today.
    My carbon seats are very comfortable and I couldn't have imagined no having them. I probably put them as one of my favorite options.

I did look at a McLaren with carbon seat and I couldn't even sit my butt in them, they were so narrow. Dealer said they fit people built like a 20 year old and 150 pounds. Def counts me out...

I am not the best with computer skills but I could take some pictures of mine and give you measurements if you give me your phone number so I can text it to you.
    DM me if I can help.

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

4. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’m 6’5” (long in the torso-not all legs), 240- I have the size Large cf racing seats in all my Ferraris, and wouldn’t own one without them. You should fit just fine. Good luck.

Mike

Gh21631 likes this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yes you will fit. Shouldn’t be a problem. I’m 6’6” 255lbs with a wide back and shoulders, and I fit perfectly in my 812’s Daytona CF Racing Seats.

6. mark1000+

mark1000+ Rookie

Jan 12, 2010
    I am 5'11" and 230 lbs with very wide shoulders and was looking for a 458 with cf racing seats because I love how they look.
    But there was no way that I could fit in these, even in the large version, so I bought one with normal seats.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Dang guys ! 6 ft and 235 or 255... who are u Ronnie Coleman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1000+ likes this.
  8. forhamilton

forhamilton Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
  9. forhamilton

forhamilton Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I looked for a picture I took with Ronnie Coleman circa 2004 and could not find it. He is effing massive.

10. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I didn't know who Ronnie Coleman was so I looked him up on the web....

HUGE is an understatement!!

His muscles have muscles!

Crazy that a person can develop their body to a size like that.
    That is dedication beyond anything I have ever done or could do.

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. forhamilton

forhamilton Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thanks again for the phone call Gene. You were a great help!

12. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Hi Chris,

It was my pleasure to speak with you.
    Buying a car like these (as you well know) is a huge investment and not getting it right could be very painful.
    I am not an expert by any means but when you said that you had wide shoulders I had to comment.

I would love to have you over and I would have you sit in my car as well as take it out for a spin.
    I am sure you can find somebody closer to you to make this happen but if not, it is only a flight away.... (and 2000 miles)

Good talking and I wish you well in your search.
    Enjoy the time and find what you are looking for.

Best wishes,
    Gene

13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Your local official Ferrari dealer should have sample carbon fiber racing seats for you to try and choose accordingly. That way, you’ll be 100% sure and the appropriate peace of mind that comes with it.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

14. fastmnstealth

fastmnstealth Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2017
    MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm 6-0 and about 220...largish frame.

I just got back from a 1000mi trip from Dallas to Minneapolis after purchase of my 458 with carbon race seats. I bought the car without having ever sat in the race seats as it didn't matter...I wanted them :)

When I first got in the car, it was comfy but pretty snug in the mid section. After an hour or so, it started bugging me a bit. After 4-5 hours (and a gas break ), I found myself turning a bit sideways so I wasn't getting squeezed so much. Shoulders and seat area were just fine...it is the midsection. I spent 15-hrs in those seats, so had plenty of opportunities to try to get comfortable. Only adjustments were angle of seat back and forward/backward. That helped a little to move my body some.

Do I have regrets? Absolutely not! The seats are great, but for really long drives, they get uncomfortable FOR ME. Local drives/cruises the will be perfect. I assume so with track events as well. It is not very often one spends 7-8hrs straight in the seats, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Mark

15. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike

Man, you just made the cut. Any man under 5'10" is just a hairy woman.

:D:D:D

Mike

16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am the old guy that still has a 30" waist, but I'm also the guy that has made mistakes buying cars that I either sold right away or fixed (that part can get costly). Consider this I have owned 484 cars, the average amount I have put into doing modifications to all those cars is 13.2K per car I have no problem spending three times what the car cost to make it right for me. Most of you do not do that so OP, my advise find a car with the seats and even if you are a passenger you will be able to tell not only if you fit but whether you can stand them for more than 15 minutes. I have built my share of race cars over the years, they need racing seats, personally I would never own a street car with them, they would serve no purpose to me. Then again I'm not exactly like the rest of you cars are just machines that serve a purpose. Good luck

Texas Forever likes this.