Kline Innovation Exhaust | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Kline Innovation Exhaust

Discussion in '360/430' started by Flea7, Jul 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent video! Thanks for sharing Felix!

I have the Kline exhaust on my F430 Spider and I am 100% happy with the build quality and fantastic sound.
    And as member Flea7 have mentioned - Felix provides outstanding customer service.

Here's what the Kline exhaust sounds like on my F430 Spider:

Dan

jo.e and Sky Hye like this.
  2. Felix_kline

Felix_kline Karting
    Sponsor

Nov 6, 2013
    Thank you guys for the kind words :cool:

Nothing yet for the Ferrari 360.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Felix_kline

Felix_kline Karting
    Sponsor

Nov 6, 2013
    Sky Hye likes this.
  4. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Guys, I'm the lucky sob that bought dan's (whatheheck) 430. The Kline sounds fantastic! However; I'm experiencing the same issue described above. I haven't climbed under to look at anything yet.... I've been enjoying driving it, haha. I had somewhat narrowed the symptoms down to either low- vacuum when warm, or intermittent bluetooth connection. (Is it Bluetooth? Or rf?). I hadn't considered heat being a factor in the connection.

I haven't looked yet to see where Dan located the controller, and i don't want to keep peppering him with too many questions (especially when I can climb under and find it).
    Have y'all found a permanent installation setup that solves this issue? Do I simply need to isolate the controller from the heat?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Dan,

Glad to hear you too like the sound of the Kline exhaust. Nothing like it.

As far as the clicking sound I too think its either low vacuum, intermittent wireless connection or the engine bay heat affects the valve controller ECU function.

Please see attached photo where I located the valve controller electronics control unit.
    I placed it away from the engine to protect it from excessive engine heat.
    You can find it somewhere where the yellow circle is.

You can experiment with perhaps relocating it, or wrapping it with heat insulation sheet and see if the clicking goes away.

Perhaps others can chime in if what they did to fix theirs.

And as I mentioned here a few times, once you get home from a drive and pull in to your garage - pop the engine bay hood open and let the heat escape to protect all the engine bay parts from being cooked by the intense engine bay heat.

These engines run hot for emissions and efficiency reasons from what I've read somewhere.

All the best to you!

Dan L.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flea7 likes this.
  6. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I think its supposed to be much further back towards the tail lights, behind the smaller rear wing insert panel

7. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Mine was doing the same thing until I extended the antenna wire and brought it all the way up on the drivers side behind the panel.

whatheheck and jag-oo-r like this.
  8. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    What did you extend the antenna wire with? That sounds like it may be the easiest and cleanest solution.

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    With the original configuration yes.

If I remember correctly (sorry getting old) I added more cable lengths to mine so I can extend the wires and stow the ECU away from the exhaust.

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Dan,

I think I already did that (extended the antenna wire to extend the range of the wireless connection) but please double check.

Simply put, make the antenna wire longer by using a butt splice, add a couple of feet of 16 gauge wire and make the antenna wire longer.

Dan L.

cpep likes this.
  11. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #236 Flea7, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    I have a coupe but I placed mine where the yellow circle is. I used silicone wiring to extend the remote to that location.
    In addition, I covered the length of the wiring with heat-shield sleeve.
    With the wireless remote, I covered it with what welders called Tig Finger to block off all heat to it.
    I believe the problem to be heat related so I did all I can....a bit overkill ... but I have not had any problems since I took these steps.

Good luck ...hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/Welding-Tips-Tricks-FINGER-COMBO/dp/B01BE93KZW

https://www.amazon.com/Electriduct-Thermo-Silicone-Coated-Fiberglass/dp/B01HIYO81W/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=heat+shield+loom&qid=1589252178&s=hi&sr=1-18

Attached Files:

jag-oo-r and whatheheck like this.
  12. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Thanks Dan!
    I got in there this evening, and quickly found the easiest access was to remove the wheel/ fender liner.

I found the controller and the Garmin sensor, stowed away nicely. I don't see any indication that the antenna wire was extended, -- unless -- .... please see the photos below.
    There is a wire that appears to be broken, with the broken end hovering in the same general vicinity as the controller. The other end runs forward through the fender / body, and is wrapped in some sort of spiral protective covering. It's fine Guage, but not so fine as the antenna wire on the controller. (I'd guess the antenna wire to be 22g, and the broken wire to be 18g). In both photos I've put a pick tool next to the wire to identify it.

Does this ring any bells for you? I know it was a couple of years ago.

I'm always amazed at how well you cared for this car, Dan. My hands are mostly clean, even being deep into unseen territory, hehe.

Attached Files:

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sorry Dan I can no longer remember those fine details. My apologies.

My vote is to splice an extra wire to extend the antenna length, route and stow the newly added wire towards the cabin for better wireless connection with the valve remote controller.

Yes, I added the cable spiral wrap to protect the cables from engine heat.

And as member Flea7 suggested I would also recommend adding heat shield to protect the Kline ECU even better from excessive engine bay heat.

Thanks for the kind compliments about how I cared for that car.
    I tried my best to keep everything clean.

I have yet to meet a mechanic who doesnt appreciate working on a clean engine.

Take care and please drive safely.

Dan L.

cpep and jag-oo-r like this.
  14. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I agree. I suspect you may have some expertise concerning what type of wire is better for the application? I'm inclined to think fine-strand, but I really don't know anything about antennas.
    I also agree with Flea7 about the thermal protection; I have a number of different types on hand and I'll protect it all as I reassemble.

Thanks Dan!

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Any 20 gauge silicone insulated automotive wire would do.

Here you go:
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01K4QVW1K/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BwIUEbT1WWB03

You're welcome!

Dan L.

cpep likes this.
  16. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    If I remember it was just a piece of 20g wire I had laying around.

whatheheck likes this.
  17. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Just to update this; I've extended the antenna wire, and wrapped the controler in some thermal wrap. This seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks all!

whatheheck likes this.
  18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent. Thanks for the update Dan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jag-oo-r likes this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I got kline on my FF- absolutely amazing- on or with the best stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  20. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Experienced the same symptoms again today. I'm not sure what's causing this. Need to explore a little more.

21. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Heat is the issue. How did you wrap the controller. Did you use the Tig finger I suggested?

jag-oo-r likes this.
  22. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I used some thermal shield I had on hand. I sure think this is pretty effective stuff.

Aluminum & Fiberglass Heat Shield Barrier with Adhesive Backing 12"x39" (3.3 Sq. Ft) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LGZ3NWA/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_.fiZEbYVKMRZA

Regardless, we were only 5 minutes into our drive this time. Yes, I let it warm in the garage for 15 minutes before we left, but it wasn't "hot" yet, y'know?

I need to climb back in there and see what's up.

What do you think: you think the tig-finger might be better than the stuff I used? I'm game to learn.

23. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
  24. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Yes...you will see that it is much more material than the thin insulation you used.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  25. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Great. Ordered and on its way.