F8 or Speciale? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 or Speciale?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ekosan, Mar 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Speciale. There is no car like it with the exception of an F12 TDF. I was in the exact same situation. Go drive an F8. Really drive it. Try all the modes press all the buttons listen to all the sounds. Then drive a speciale. There is no comparison. None. Unless you’re looking for a car that looks like a Ferrari and feels like a Bentley.

SECRET, italiafan, HardTen and 4 others like this.
  2. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    Imho....SPECIALE. 1000%

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Clay512TR likes this.
  3. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    FIFY

4. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA

Here you go: my foot is barely hitting the accelerator and it sounds like a jet is taking off... it's stiff and planted as they come without being numb. I keep forgetting to hit bumpy-road mode...

5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    ^Nice aggressive sound.

6. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    I was also looking at a Speciale but at the end of the day a beautiful white 2015 Spider popped up that matched my NSX color combo so it was an easy choice for me. Figured I can always find a Speciale if I didn't like the 458 enough. F8 is more comparable to the 488 than the 458 since both have turbos.

Nice stable, also a BMW M3 fanatic here, I've had every generation M3.

Also love my JDM sports cars :)

SECRET and dustman like this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Do not fool yourself. The F8 is a great deal more than a slight bump from the 488. I had no interest in owning the 488 due to its lack of engagement. The F8 enhances the driving dynamics and thrill factor to a level that now I find compelling. Furthermore it represents a significant aesthetic improvement.

carz80am, Drson and Ash Patel like this.
  8. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Did you buy it? Or just dreaming?

9. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    16M

But yes, I’d echo the majority in saying the Speciale. Period. I have both, and love them both, but the Speciale I will not sell. The F8 I probably will eventually. Unless you want to build your Ferrari status and eventually earn the ability to get limited run cars. You will be rewarded for buying new cars from the dealer and helping them pay their bills. Also, always sell your used Ferrari through them for the same reason.

plastique999, Clay512TR and obbob like this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Bought. Delivery slated for July, but the recent shutdown at the factory may cause a delay.

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I am probably biased but while I admit the F8 is a significant improvement over the 488, I do not understand all the critics against the 488.
    For me it's far better than the Italia, and more efficient than the Speciale; and the F8 is on the same development path as the 488 - unlike the Italia / Speciale, it is turbocharged and its electronics are even more developed in the search of efficiency.
    Even if for whatever reason it's fashionable to despise the 488, the F8 is better than the 488 in the same way (but actually with a smaller difference) that the 488 is better than the 458: more technology for more efficiency and more performance.

Forza_CP likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 458 and 488 are fundamentally different driving experiences. The former represents the last of the NA power trains and driving dynamics that are more analog. The 488 marked the beginning of the new era of turbo charged, faster with enhanced technical capabilities. However, for many the soul and thrill factor was sacrificed in pursuit of greater speed and objective prowess. The F8 is the latest manifestation of the 488 concept. It continues the trend started with the 488 but accompanied with not only greater capabilities in every performance metric but it simultaneously added a greater dose of subjective excitement. The F8 furthermore, while maintaing the 488 design aesthetic, is a stunning creature to behold.

13. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Oh no...I hope this whole Covid thing passes soon and you get your car! I suspect you're not alone..... (;-(

14. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The 488 "is" a great car.....I understand the Naturally aspirated crew i.e., 458 enthusiasts as I am one too! But, it all changes eventually! F8 is another step in the evolution chain!!!

up4speed likes this.
  15. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    I ended up pulling the trigger on a '16 Speciale w/ 8k miles. I'm leaning towards declining the tire & wheel hazard coverage as well as extending the warranty beyond the original Nov 2021 expiration date. I'm just not going to be putting that many miles on the car (<1000 miles a year). Anything else I should be considering during the purchase process?

16. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
  17. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    IMO, hands down, get the speciale, then the F8 when it comes around. I just bought a pristine '14 458 Italia, w/ 4k on the clock, because my friends w/ 488s and F8s, talked me into buying it instead of new. You will absolutely love the raw Ferrari experiance w/ the N/A engine! The sound and instant response are astounding. Also many firsts and lasts to the model. Comfort wise, it's very comfortable for an exotic. I made sure to get one w/ Daytona seats and when you push the damper button, she really rides exceptionally well. What's the spec on the speciale?

ekosan likes this.
  18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX

I would confirm the battery age, if over 3 years since installation (it could be original) replace it for good measure regardless of how well it may 'test' now.

Get the full service history, make certain everything done, parts replaced. See if the emergency parking brake (EPB) module has been replaced, on some Speciale's it fails -- there is an updated module (January 2019 revision). If that fails the car will be immobile, simply have it picked up and sent to dealer for repair, do not use the procedure in the manual to override, it will cost you 10K+ since the override destroys the rear brakes (ebp+regular brakes are in a single device). The module itself should be replaced under warranty even though out of factory warranty (otherwise less than 2K parts+labor), again, should it fail, odds are not terribly high, but, if it has already been replaced, that would be good. If it fails you will see AVH and EBP errors and the red "Park" indicator above right side monitor will be flashing before you even put the key in.

I would check brake pads for wear and rotors too.

The 7 year plan pays for annual oil changes, brake flush(every 2 years) and other fluids as needed, the additional warranty pays for that and some other things I believe.

And, check the tires, DOT codes, if original, I would replace simply due to age regardless of remaining tread. Ferrari likes no more than 3 or 4 years regardless, if driven sanely 5 years, after that, definitely get new. Yokohama Advan APEX V601s are a great update.

ekosan likes this.
  19. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    LOL, just realized OP went that way!

ekosan likes this.
  20. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Smart move and congrats! I'd decline it, it's a scam.
    Get a PPI?? Best you do that, or is it already Ferrari certified? PM me about your location, I belong to a couple great exotic groups and we meet a run a lot in Jersey, close to the Tapp. Was just in Wayne and Chestnut Ridge on Sunday for an event.

21. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    I ended up on that wavelength, though I might add a F12 down the road to get the V12 experience. Congrats on your new purchase! The naturally aspirated aspect of the 458/Speciale definitely appealed to me over the later generations. Mine is rosso corsa with the NART stripe, black wheels (I might want to put on a set of gold wheels) w/ red calipers, black alcantara with red contrast stitching, carbon front flaps, airvents, engine covers. I was told that it has a Novitec exhaust...not sure valved or not or stainless vs inconel.

Attached Files:

Thecadster and Sargepug like this.
  22. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Being a long time Speciale owner myself, I have to say I 100% agree with the feedback to get it first and place an order for a new F8. There will be much more aftermarket knowledge on the F8 in the next year, well before your car arrives. You can decide then if you choose to keep the Speciale or pickup the new F8.

There is something awesome about buying a new Ferrari, but as far as Ferrari is concerned, your ownership of a used VS model vs. a new series model will still be reflected in Modis regardless.

23. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    I had an allocation for the F8 that was supposed to arrive in September (before the virus hit). I got caught up because this would probably be my last chance to buy a Ferrari new. I'm sure the hybrid or even pure EV cars down the road are great, but it's just not the same to me.

24. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    She's a beauty, congrats! Here's my '14
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tickerhound and ekosan like this.
  25. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020