Boeing 777 The heavy check | FerrariChat

Boeing 777 The heavy check

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by 11506apollo, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    This is an hour long special on PrimeVideo showing the dismantling on an Air France 777 for the (once every 16 years) deep inspection and refurbishment of the aircraft It give us a good view and understanding of how complex this machine is.

NeuroBeaker and Jacob Potts like this.
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Years ago, I toured the Delta maintenance base at ATL and saw, if I recall correctly, an MD-80 going thru the "heavy check". I was amazed at how far they had disassembled the aircraft! Pretty much right down to the bare structure.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Link????

4. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
  5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In 1993 our group assembled the entire 777 on the CATIA and produced a beautiful plot of the structure and systems that I wish that I had now. There wasn't an office anywhere that didn't have a print of it up on the wall. I worked on several parts of it then but I certainly couldn't do it now. Yes, it is a beautiful and complex piece of machinery that works pretty close to perfect.

Jacob Potts and NeuroBeaker like this.
  6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The Maintenance Planning Document (MPD) defines all the structure and system inspection requirements for the airplane, and the intervals that each inspection must occur. During A and C checks, which occur multiple times between D checks, a lot of these inspections take place. Generally they are only visual in nature. The OEM tries to design the structure such that the more intrusive inspections requiring NDT methods are only required at D check. But since a C check is a multiple of an A check, and a D check is a multiple of A and C checks, all these visual and NDT inspections happen at same time and essentially require ALL of the structure on the aircraft to be inspected. Hence everything that can hide structure comes out.

7. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I saw very little of NDT being done on the documentary, other than basic visual and some surface corrosion tests.
    I didnt see Ultrasonic or Eddy Current or Radiography, which I consider the main NDT methods.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I enjoyed seeing demonstrations of "Fly Thru", where you could literally fly through the EPIC digital mockup like a fly!

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    NDT methods are generally prescribed by Damage Tolerance aspects and have a threshold, e.g. # flt hrs or # of flights, before they begin. Threshold can be as low as 24000 flts to over 50000 flts, so would not be reached until after a few D checks.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I got trained on that and worked with my old illustration group on getting their inputs. I have mentioned before that the organization was the Production Illustration Group, PIG. Inevitable that the "fly thru" with them was quickly called PIGS FLY. It was an invaluable tool and uncovered many conflicts with moving systems and structure. Hard to believe that was 30 years ago. I was a kid, then, of only 64.

tritone, Gatorrari and Jacob Potts like this.