C8 CORVETTE | Page 16 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john

Orange car+ yellow calipers+black wheels = :(

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Those wheels are an improvement IMO.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    They have imagination.
    Comities do not.

energy88 likes this.
  4. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Are these things really selling for $20-$25,000 over sticker? I see the same ones for sale on eBay and elsewhere week after week.

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe people are waiting for different colors?

6. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Or maybe the market will not bear the avarice of some of these sellers. However, if the market is 20 or $25,000 over sticker then I guess it’s not avarice they’re just selling the car for what the market tells them it’s worth, but I think they might be a little delusional.

jm2 likes this.
  7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Why not just order a new 21 at list instead of over list for a 20? Who immediately needs a sports car in pandemic?

Boomhauer and Stentboy like this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/05/top-5-most-popular-colors-chosen-by-2020-corvette-buyers/?fbclid=IwAR0YQ65OAvXC2td2AJa6UKZhCPES2E0CINjgCDV6gXCh-JuZtnUM9Z7RfhI

2020 Corvette C8 Orders By Color - Kerbeck Corvette
    Color Count
    Torch Red 131
    Arctic White 70
    Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic 57
    Long Beach Red Metallic Tintcoat (+$995) 44
    Blade Silver Metallic 39
    Rapid Blue (+$500) 35
    Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic 33
    Black 31
    Sebring Orange Tintcoat (+$995) 30
    Shadow Gray Metallic 29
    Accelerate Yellow Metallic (+$500) 19
    Zeus Bronze 18
    Total 536

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    As far as I can tell only two silver cars were made before the shut down. Rick Henderson has one and Mike Furman has the other.

No Long Beach red, no Rapid blue, not Accel yellow, no Zeus Bronze.

10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Really surprised o_O Sebring Orange Tintcoat isn't near the top.

11. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Blade silver my fvocolor

12. M1GIR

M1GIR Karting

May 27, 2005
    BOCA RATON, FL
    Full Name:
    MASSIMINO GIRONTA
    thecarreaper likes this.
  13. M1GIR

M1GIR Karting

May 27, 2005
    BOCA RATON, FL
    Full Name:
    MASSIMINO GIRONTA
    I HAVE MINE ABOUT SIX WEEKS. GREAT CAR NOT AS ROUGH AS THE C7 Z06 WHICH I STILL HAVE. REAL SMOOTH SEEMS JUST AS FAST AND SOME REAL NICE SOUNDS. WAITING FOR THE Z06 IT IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A FLAT PLANE CRANK AND WAIL TO 8500-9000 RPM ALA A 458, THE LAST OF THE PURE FERRARI SOUND THAT I FELL IN LOVE WITH OVER 20 YEARS AGO..

DIGMAN52, anunakki and TheMayor like this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I still think the Ferrari 458 N/A 9000 RPM engine is one of the best V8 engines ever made. If the new engine can get close to that emotion and high end power at a lower cost and easier maintenance its a winner for sure.

BJK and Dragster like this.
  15. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Agreed. Per leaks the upcoming Z06 will have a DOHC flat crank engine with 650 hp / 600 lb-ft of torque in a free-reving motor.
    Should prove very interesting.

16. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    #391 Dragster, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    While that would be great, I don't think anyone should get their hopes up because those specs don't make a whole lot of sense--at least if the car is naturally aspirated. If forced induction is used, then sure, but in order to make 650 hp out of a naturally aspirated engine, it's either going to have to have significantly higher displacement than previous NA FPC V8s or it will have to rev REALLY high. The rumor was that it would be an NA 5.5L V8, but that would also make it the largest displacement FPC engine--something Ford ran into trouble with in the GT350. Once the displacement gets very large, they've got to use heavier counterweights on the crank, and that ends up limiting how high you can rev, and thus limits your ultimate hp. The GT350 uses a 5.2L NA FPC and makes just over 100 hp/L. If GM is using an even larger displacement engine, I wouldn't imagine that they would be getting much more than 100 hp/L out of the engine either. That would put the Z06 around 550 hp. I'm not saying it can't be higher, but I think 650 hp is a pipe dream out of an NA 5.5L FPC V8 (at least for a streetable car with a warranty).

The other thing that makes absolutely no sense about the 650/600 rumor is that 600 lb-ft out of a 5.5L NA FPC engine is simply ludicrous. The 458 makes just under 400 (while hp is over 150 more) and the GT350 with a larger displacement engine makes only 429 lb-ft. That's not a huge difference for an extra 0.7L of displacement. There is simply no way GM will be getting 600 ft-lbs out of a 5.5L NA FPC engine.

I know there are some that would be disappointed if the C8 Z06 had a less powerful engine than the C7 Z06, but I wouldn't. As long as the car has a more track focused, singular purpose, they could have a really exciting car on their hands. If they could take it in a direction more like the C6 Z06 and make it more track oriented than the C7 Z06, I think it would be a great car. They would still have the opportunity for higher hp models in the ZR1 and/or Zora. If the Z06 came out with roughly 575 hp and 475 lb-ft out of a 5.5L NA FPC V8 (which I think is a much more realistic power output, given the rumored engine size and configuration), I would be all over it--especially if they could drop 100 lbs in the process.

BJK and Auraraptor like this.
  17. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Agree completely- give me better suspension, aero. Bump power to anything over 550 with redline over 8K.
    However, to make the car great it needs to drop weight. Not sure how realistic that is, but getting it to low 3000’s is key to greatness. That is something like 500#- which is probably dreaming.

boxerman and k wright like this.
  18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Without a CF tub its REALLY HARD today to drop a lot of weight easily. McLaren's are expensive because they tackle it one gram at a time. Chevy uses a lot of found stuff to make the cars affordable.

I don't see a lot of weight reduction other than just removing stuff, and people don't like that.

I still view the C8 as GT, not a pure sports car. Maybe when they do the Grandsport version it might have more of a sportscar purpose. Until then the C8 will be a daily driver for a lot of owners.

Boomhauer, thecarreaper and BJK like this.
  19. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I agree with it being a GT- hoping the performance variants (Z06 / Grandsport) find the right mix, like poster to whom I responded suggested - more C6, less C7.

20. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I ordered these new custom MRR wheels for my C8 in carbon flash color so they match the racing stripes, mirrors and spoiler on my car.
    They should be here in a week or two and they weigh less then the Chevy wheels, removing over 10lbs and look much better :)
    Chevy wheels
    19x8.5 - 25.69lb
    20x11 - 32.11lb
    MRR wheels
    19x8.5 - 24.5lbs
    20x11 - 28lbs
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 and BJK like this.
  21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Chevy made an online owners manual if anyone is interested:

of2worlds, thecarreaper and Statler like this.
  22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Love this post and agree. But they need to loose more than 100lbs/

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    CF tub not really a weight loss thing. An elise weights significantly less than a CF 4c. An aventador is not light, and a pista not really much heavier than a maclaren.
    CF maybe saves 50-100lbs over bonded aluminum, but it is stiffer.

A C6 z06 weighted 3150 lbs.
    The real issue with the C8 is that massive bridge girder centre tunnel to hold it all togehter and still have small sills so lardasses can enter and exit. That big wide centre tunnel also puts the occupants fairly far outboard, quite a contrast with Maclaren there the driver and passenger are far closer to the centre.

Yes you're right its more of a Gt car, a big GT that mid engined which makes it fashionable.

That all being said with a bolted on roof and weight savings through CF body panels it can be both way stiffer and 2-300lbs lighter, for a price. A quad cam motor though is likely to be heavier than a SBC. Is the z06 really targeting the Gt3 or the porche turbo.