458 - What is your daily driver? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 What is your daily driver?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by eskanday, May 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    NGooding, Loxo, Gazza21 and 10 others like this.
  2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    So much depends on use and budget. Let’s set aside the latter, because it’s either not a concern, or it’s highly dependent on what you want to spend your money on, and thus only you can decide.

Do you have a long commute each day that involves a lot of bumper to bumper freeway traffic? Do you regularly carry adult passengers in the back? Haul kids’ things to sports activities? You have a Ferrari so like most of us, appreciate vehicle dynamics and driving qualities.

Based on your answers to the above, you have already received great recommendations. Another Tesla could well be the answer, as it checks most of the boxes if the answers to most of the questions is yes. If a Model S isn’t big enough, you can go to an X or Y. Granted, a lot of things may change due to Covid 19, at least for the next couple of years.

Anyway, I’d also consider Porsche. A Taycan is super. Or a Macan, which handles extremely well for a sport SUV. Me? It was mostly just me in the car, I wanted very good performance and driving qualities, and all weather capability. So I went with a Porsche 991 turbo. A bonus is that I occasionally track it, too, particularly if the track event will mix me with a variety of cars that have much too little to lose compared to my Ferrari.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

butcher, v35 and ryalex like this.
  3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Loxo, Gazza21, Thecadster and 6 others like this.
  4. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Loxo, Rembrandt, stavura and 2 others like this.
  5. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    plastique999 likes this.
  6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Last DD was a Merc AMG CL 55 which I pit 207k miles loved that car. Bought a Ferrari 612 OTO but decided it was too nice as a DD so kept it as weekend car. Looked at a Raptor and decided service would be a problem for me as a DD. Didn't like the AMG models a couple years ago. Didn't like the fit/interior on Tesla S. Afraid of the reliability of a Mauser but did like looks and interior. Ended up with a Panamera TTS as my DD. It has been a good and reliable car but not so much fun as the 612 but I don't worry about parking it as a grocery getter either.

m5shiv and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I still have my cl65...monster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m5shiv likes this.
  8. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If you want a daily driver, then you need to get yourself a 2010 Focus SE. Yep, even has power windows and a fancy lever on the side of the driver seat to rise and lower the seat to your preferred height. I don't need to wash it. I can drive behind a gravel hauler and not worry about the paint chips. Hail and bad weather mean nothing! I laugh at door dings and park it at the airport without worry. :D

Had a 2001 with 334,000 miles (got rid of it because I didn't feel like changing the water pump), had a 2009 that has 250K miles (my son still drives it) and now have a 2010 with 200K. And before I started working from home, I was putting 150 miles per day on it.

348KYD, Sprucemoose, Need4Spd and 2 others like this.
  9. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I just gave my CL65 to a friend so I could make room for Model 3P. Under 90 mph, Tesla is a lot of fun, banging out 3.5 seconds to 60 all day and night and great AWD handling on the twisties. I have an 11 kW charger at home, and a 250 kW supercharger 3.1 miles from my house so no shortage of electrons for hard driving. Above that speed, need to get the Ferraris or my E46 M3 CSL out.

FFan5 likes this.
  10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is my 5th one over various years ... I fit well in the latest versions. Sure I’d love to drive something like a AMG or M series SUV but I can’t show up to customers flaunting and I drive around 35k miles a year and maintenance on a AMG or M series is tough. I had a Porsche Macan ...tried that...caught sarcastic comments and getting an oil change is a pain in the ....With the Jeep I can pull in a oil change place and be done in 20 minutes.

The Jeep does have a Hemi...lol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Yeah well it’s a different era- I still like my 05 cl65 over anything, mine is tuned and gets sub 11 1/4 mile and is built better then a Tesla and massages my back;)
    I only drive electric car to go to work.

12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #62 m5shiv, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    My 05 was tuned, but it had a Quaife diff. That's when it became usable. Open diff with the inability to disable traction control fully is the problem with most AMGs. And the massage function is pretty lame TBH. The Tesla drives itself in traffic ! No oil changes, no maintenance.

13. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    On my back road run on MP4S I can pull 1.7G and I never have to worry about ABC parts or a decent infotainment !

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

05 vs 2015 ur comparing apple and oranges.
    My s63 coupe has far greater safety tech and build quality than Tesla (overall).Sorry not a Tesla interior fan it’s pretty poor. Great cars for sure, just not for me;)

16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    2007 997s. great car

tomc and DefunctNeurons like this.
  17. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    Guilia QV or RR sport v8... whichever one my wife isn't driving! Still trying to make a decision on the weekend car... 458 or 488

18. eskanday

eskanday Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    How is the QV reliability?

19. eskanday

eskanday Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    DefunctNeurons likes this.
  20. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I used an SLS GT Roadster as a DD for several years- most people thought it was a modded SL-until it fell apart(NYC streets can be so unforgiving)
    Now I use several vehicles depending on the day and weather
    Perfect spring/summer/fall days get a Ducati
    Mediocre weather gets the ML63
    Horrific weather gets the Jeep Wrangler with 36 in tires and steel bumpers (the taxis steer clear of those sharp edges)
    When I want luxury it’s the Maybach S600
    I haven’t use my Ferrari’s as DD because the experience is horrific in NY traffic (and too much evil eye) although I have been tempted during the pandemic now that the roads are empty (but those street conditions are still unforgiving-even in bumpy road mode)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
  22. dvelez2

dvelez2 Karting

Jan 20, 2016
    Full Name:
    Daniel A. Velez