Hold on to that gas pump nozzle!! | FerrariChat

Hold on to that gas pump nozzle!!

Discussion in '360/430' started by azzurribaggio, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Had a facepalm moment today while at the has station. I realized the pump isn't held on as securely as my other cars but didn't think anything about it, so I walked off and let it fill up. Once the gas tank was full "whoooooosh!" went the gas nozzle shooting away from my car like a cannon ball as my jaw dropped. I rushed over and got super lucky it didn't scratch anything and only a bit of gas got on the car as a result, which I quickly wipes off with the soft cloth I always carry.

I'll never do that again.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

f355spider, kes7u and JRE like this.
  2. JRE

JRE Karting

Mar 1, 2020
    So Far Away From Home Lost In Hollywood
    Full Name:
    James
    ~Whew~ :eek:

3. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    consider yourself lucky. I have to hold the the nozzle while filling up the whole time because the CA pump regulations have changed the pumps so that they will not stay on while in the car. I look like a dummy every time for 20 gallons :(

Tarek307 likes this.
  4. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    better to be safe than sorry. guess it could have also caused a fire?

FerRrari and Melon767 like this.
  5. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

I do consider myself lucky today because as I went off to the mountains for the drive I ran over some pieces of wood ( like pallets ) on the fukin highway I couldn't avoid. Dreading to see some damage along the side or front bumper I pulled over and to my astonishment no damage at all!!!! Double whew!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

AandSC and kes7u like this.
  6. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You're living a charmed life, my friend! Do NOT keep tempting fate!

Kevin

7. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I had to do this on my 360 & now on my 458 not due to regulations but due to the way the Ferrari design is or most gas station pumps are, i have to pull back on the tip of the nozzle and pump with other hand (lol) takes forever to get gas, and you look like a moron lol

kes7u likes this.
  8. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I you this in California. I put the plastic bag it comes in between paint and it

https://www.aerostich.com/e-z-fill-nozzle-key.html

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Curious about the opinions on filling the tank all the way. I was told when I got my car (360) that the tank shouldn't be topped off and is best to be between quarter and three quarters tank. Keeps the system happy.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Old wives' tale, likely started by someone with a fuel leak he could not be bothered to fix.

11. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    On a somewhat related note, my 360 never seems to fill (to an indicated full on the gauge) completely. Try as I might, the best/fullest it ever seems to show is about 3/4. Is this abnormal? I'm thinking one plausible reason is slow fill of both tanks because of the crossover, but other than coming back and trying a fill again after some wait period, say 30-60 minutes, this possibility would be difficult to test. Any comments would be appreciated.

12. PGI

PGI Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I tried to fill my 360 past the autostop. Tried to squeeze just a little more into the tank. My check engine light went on. Once I dove off the excess, I was able to reboot the system and the light stayed off.

JRE likes this.
  13. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey Tarek, I was having the same problem with my 458. On the advice of a member, I bought a filler neck which is like a large rubber grommet/donut. I slip if over the nozzle before putting it into the gas tank. It perfectly seals the tip and creates a vacuum so the handle does not keep clicking. Also, I don't have to keep holding the nozzle hood back. Got the filler cap from Filler Neck Supply (saw that the site was down for maintenance until Monday). Get this sizing and only costs $15.95

1963-1976 Mopar B Body Fuel Tank Grommet Filler Neck Seal

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/

JRE, Need4Spd and Tarek307 like this.
  14. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Thanks so much so this is the one i order? and i only use it when filling up just keep in car and put on there before putting in gas nozzle? This one? --->
    https://www.fillernecksupply.com/1963-1976-mopar-b-body-fuel-tank-grommet-filler-neck-seal/

JRE and Need4Spd like this.
  15. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    JRE and Tarek307 like this.
  16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Best to slow down the flow of gas going in. Apparently if you fill too fast air somehow causes the nozzle to stop flowing prematurely. An astute gas attendant gave me this tip and it works. Just FYI.

JRE likes this.
  17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Just fill at slowest rate by hand.

JRE likes this.
  18. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Topping off can cause fuel to get into the evap system, probably what triggered the code, and why there's a warning to not over fill the tank. Can happen to many different cars. The system is designed for fumes not liquid. Once this ingests fuel, it starts causing build up reducing the capacity to vent and you get pressure build up inside the tank that vents when you remove the fuel cap.

I can only imagine what a pain it would be to R&R the evap system on a 360/430 so don't squeeze in that little bit of extra. When it auto shuts off call it quits. If the tank is hot and there's excess pressure so it's not completely full don't force it.

Apollo 11 and JRE like this.