Speciale --> Pista --> Speciale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Speciale --> Pista --> Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eilig, May 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Curious, why did you have several 458s? Assuming you didn't own several at the same time so what made you replace them several times?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Coupe, then Speciale, then Spider.
    I keep going back becuase it's an epic car.

3. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Got it!
    Actually on this topic, I'm not really tempted to get a speciale and have never been. I'm happy with the 458 spider, too much power for me to handle regardless, would not want to take it to the track (got another one for that), and from an investment point of view they are both decent I guess. Lastly, non of my friends are into cars that much, nor is my wife who cares zero about my babies, so I have no one to impress

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    458 spider is THE best of them. Giggly, but epic sounding.
    Speciale I found too loose for the street, didnt sound as good, and you can debate the front end looks all day.

tekaefixe and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  5. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Glad to hear that! The best feature on that car is the rear window. Can't believe no one copied them

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    they have....

7. Katonk

Katonk Rookie

Jun 4, 2016
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have a Speciale and a Pista. The Speciale sounds and feels great when you can rev it to 9000, but in normal driving how often does that happen. The Pista sounds good throughout rev range especially in normal street driving. After I drive my Pista, I’ll drive the Speciale and it feels so slow. It almost feels like something is wrong with the car. It’s the same feeling I get driving any car after I drive my TDF. I drive my cars mainly in normal street driving, and that’s what I base my opinion on how these cars feel. As for NA or Turbo, with these cars it doesn’t play much a factor other than the torque the Pista has. It is so much more satisfying then revving the crap out of my Speciale just to get that 9k feeling.

stavura, johnr265, LVP488 and 2 others like this.
  8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My 458’s including Speciale would wail and sound epic from 4.5k to redline. That could be 30mph just cruising and obeying all limits, but the car sounding epic. My Pista...never sounded good.

LMH and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  9. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Fabulous - enjoy

10. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I know it’s really fake but I loved the popping and spitting and flames coming out of my 675LT, I find the Pista tries so hard to be like an N/A that it is neithebfish nor foul. No 9000 rpm of the N/A with a motorbike feel and no wave of torque/boost and theatrics of the McLarens. Before you all booo me down, do drive one of their LT range. Epic cars and one of the next second hand buys anywhere,

LMH, Hexproject and ScrappyB like this.
  11. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Best second hand buys, sorry for typo.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I have always had a penchant for dark women. Others prefer blondes. I am fond of buxom women with curves. Many like their women slim and tall.

IloveGT and Katonk like this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The sound gets better with time with the Pista, it definitely starts to open up so you likely didnt get the full effect. With this said its still not super aggressive stock but it sounds decent not great.

LARRYH and leopoldo like this.
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ok thanks.

15. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    I don´t really take youtubers who borrow cars seriously. Looking forward to TheCarGuys to get their Pista who actually owns the car and want to get to know every single detail of it for a longer period of time. Video below is the one I watched before deciding between 458 and 488

Bas and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  16. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Not to go off topic, I want a 675LT or 600LT spyder - going to try my luck on picking one up this fall. I am thinking there will be lots of options out there by then.

Bundy, Scraggy and plastique999 like this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The problem in these V8 forums that nobody seems to understand that a V8 noise is crap compared to a V12 :D
    So when choosing a V8 the noise should not be a factor - NA, turbo, GPF, whatever, they're all crap.
    I got the 488 for performance and efficiency, but I hope to complement it soon with a V12 for real music.

Katonk, BG23 and johnr265 like this.
  18. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Gotta agree here. While I don't own a V12, I've driven FF, Lusso, F12, and a very short but special drive in a TdF. All are wonderful but oh man, the memory of that TdF! I love my Pista. It is absolutely stunning and the performance, especially by the numbers is not far from the TdF, but the TdF is just an absolute orgasm of sound and excitement!

I love NA sound but the sound of the Pista is really not a deal breaker in any way when you combine all of the elements of the driving experience. Sound of my Pista was also about 40% improved over stock by simple addition of a Forza controller.

All that being said, I highly recommend keeping a GT3 around for metallic rips to 9,000 RPM (plus a manual) and I still dream of the day when I could afford to own and actually drive a TdF;)!

uhn2000 and x z8 like this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Completely disagree.
    I have a V12 now, and had three 458 variants. I find the V8 more melodic and randomly playful in note vs the V12 (stock to stock).
    Both sound different for sure. But to say the NA V8 is crap?! Not many who are experienced would agree on this forum.
    But, I respect your opinion.

20. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    In ideal world, should not be "either or" decision between V8/V12. Both have very special things to offer. Rear mid-engine does some things that front mid-engine cannot, for example. And yes, the tdf sound and explosive performance.

NGooding, dustman and Avia11 like this.
  21. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That’s a bold and novel argument, to say the very least :eek::D

They’re different. And V8s aren’t crap, the same way not all V12s are glorious. Some are more than others.

I’ve had V8 and V12 Ferraris. All that taught me, personally, is that V12s are charming and full of character, but more refined and civilized. I don’t like compromise and I didn’t have as much fun. Now... I could say V12s are all crap ;) but in all truth, all it means is that I’m more of a V8 person. We all have our own preferences, but it’s nice when we manage not to lose the big picture of things.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

22. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Dont know about that with only a limited number produced?

Drive a 600LT and u will not be disappointed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

plastique999, uhn2000 and Gh21631 like this.
  23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm with Dustman here.. my 488 GTB was certainly faster than my 458 Italia, but I never enjoyed driving the 488. After a few months, I got rid of the 488 and am currently in the mindset of either getting another 458 or perhaps an 812 super fast.

Speed doesn't always equate to enjoyment. In fact, sometimes it can take away from it. I've had slower cars and motorcycles which were a blast to drive/ride. My 355 wasn't all that fast, but it was like a little go cart. You could redline it all over town and have a ton of fun. Try that in a 488 and you'll be doing 130 MPH before you can even enjoy any of it.

I had an old Yamaha 750 which was comically bad (I mean, it had drum brakes as I recall). But it was super fun to ride around town. You could redline it in every gear and not be going much over 75 MPH. At 100 MPH it felt like you were going 200 MPH. Every minute I rode that bike was comically fun to me. With my Yamaha R1, which was highly modified, it was fun also, but you couldn't go WOT on it for more than 1 or 2 seconds before it would start to literally terrify you. I tried to hold the throttle wide open once to the count of 5 and I looked down and I think I was going nearly 150 MPH and my heart was pumping so fast I had to let up. Even keeping the front wheel touching the pavement on that bike was a job in itself. Not saying I would rather have the 750 back, but just that faster isn't always more fun.

I won't beat a dead horse much longer, but you guys all know I value the sound of the 458 most of all. The 488 just lacks that historical Ferrari sound/charm.

Ray

24. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Are those final build numbers for each coupe and spider? It’s much lower than I expected.