Speciale --> Pista --> Speciale | FerrariChat

Speciale --> Pista --> Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eilig, May 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Beginning at 25:42 minutes, quote:

"It's interesting, actually, we've had a lot of calls and emails from people in the last few weeks that have got Pistas, have ordered Pistas, have maybe had a Speciale, and have actually come full circle and haven't had the Pista very long, and are thinking about changing that into a Speciale. And I don't know whether that's partly a value proposition, as a Speciale is clearly a less expensive car than a Pista. But I think it's more than that. I think it's more about what these cars do. And a Speciale is less powerful than a Pista. But I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. And I think, potentially because of that, the cars are more engaging and involving. And don't forget, a Pista is turbo, so I do think you get a better sound out of these (Speciales). And I do think, possibly, they are more of a driver's car. So let's see what happens in the future on Pista and Speciale values. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Speciales be worth more than Pistas before not too long."

SD455TA, RayJohns, LMH and 2 others like this.
  2. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    :p popcorn please.. extra large size! Happy mothers day! My Pista is delayed due to COVID and I did the craziest thing and bought a Speciale in April (middle of our lockdown) because I have itched long enough for a mid-engined V8 special series car and a nice one finally appeared for an acceptable price. So hope to offer some good and real comparisons when I get them both together. In the meantime I will enjoy the the commentary on this thread and I think there a few others going on..

NGooding, IloveGT, Bundy and 6 others like this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There is something I do not understand in all these talks - if people don't mind a slower car, why not go for a 360 CS rather than a Speciale? it's the first of the kind, probably the closer to the claimed track-oriented brief (hint:that's the only one that doesn't have a spider version), it has far less electronics... and it's definitely as much NA as a Speciale (not to mention the glorious 5 valve engine, for those liking "vertical" power curves).
    So a CS instead of a Pista, why not (although probably better to have both ;) ) - but a Speciale instead of a Pista, that's not for me.

4. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Loved my Speciale but CS and Pista would do it for me (plus a road legal 355 Challenge!)

chrixxx likes this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Perhaps slow-shifting older F1 technology?

6. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Speciale and Pista very different and one needs both to drive not keep in "cotton wool" :)

CS while the "best of the bunch" in terms of purity and sound would become a garage queen as its being purchased "not to be driven"

I passed on a 2011 GT3RS 4l (1 of 600) for this exact reason

7. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #7 uhn2000, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    I was presented with a CS or Speciale .. and I am sure the CS will be nothing short of amazing but I like to drive my cars and I feared a CS would just sit. Well my Speciale might also just sit as well.. too many cars!

Shack likes this.
  8. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    I have all of them, let me tell you... the Pista is just WOW. My favourite NA car is the Stradale after my F40. Hope this says a little.

9. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Are you telling me to go by the CS too hehehe.. :) Its still there.. my goodness man!

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    There’s no denying it’s a controversial issue. But looking at these cars, CS, Speciale, Pista just by how fast they go, it’s like choosing a wine by how fast it makes you drunk. There’s more to cars than top speed, there’s more to wine than alcohol content, there’s more to cell phones than screen size, etc. And in terms of speed, it’s always more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slowly.

There’s no denying that some owners traded their Speciale for a Pista and never looked back. That’s normal. That’s what’s expected. But there’s also no denying a huge amount of people sold the Pista and bought a Speciale again, and they’re not all wrong, irrational or stupid. There’s a reason, whether you agree with it or not.

While reading this thread, this meme came to my mind. To me personally, from left to right, the CS is the first, the Speciale the penultimate and the Pista the guy going back.

I don’t have an agenda, all Ferraris I bought were impulsive buys and less than a week went by from thinking of buying it, until writing the check. So I may end up buying whatever. Not trying to change anyone’s mind. Just trying to offer another angle, a rational, an hypothesis as to why people went back (because they did and continue to do), although the best is to hear from people who actually did it (Speciale-Pista-Speciale). I didn’t.

In the end, it’s just not a question of speed. If it was, vintage Ferraris would be worthless and they’re worth several millions. If speed is the only criteria, then we’d better off with a Bugatti or a Learjet. Some owners were put off by the change in the brand’s direction by going turbo, by all wheel drive, by particulate filters, by hybrid systems and other changes. And some reacted to it by going back. That also explains, at least in part, why Italias and Spiders are depreciating at a slower pace than other Ferraris.

Kind regards,

Nuno.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ryalex, mobiledev22, Avneet and 5 others like this.
  11. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    You have an NA F40? That says quite a lot!

12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Quantities for sale on Autotrader --

Speciale: 23 and trending down
    Pista: 53 and trending up

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I was far more impressed with my Speciale than I was with my Pista, FWIW. Clearly one is far quicker than the other. But nowhere near the special moment it creates in everyday driving. I would imagine track use its the opposite feeling.

14. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How would you compare the 360CS with the 430Scud? I have the impression ppls talk alot about CS, Speciale, Pista but the Scud seems to be forgotten... I see you own both. How do you see the Scuderia compare to all 4 Special Series Cars?
    I never onwed a Scud, I owned a CS and think about to buy it back, or should I go for a Scuderia?

tekaefixe likes this.
  15. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    The Scuderia feels a lot more modern and refined. It definitely doesn’t sound better than the CS. Hands down the CS sounds the best. If you’ve owned a CS, why not give the Scud a try, you can always sell and buy something else. Funny thing, the Scud is the forgotten car... still a brilliant car.

16. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    I’d like to add, the CS is possibly the most twitchy, tail happy car out of all 4 choices - and it has the least amount of power. Feels more like a big go kart and I LOVE IT!

17. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    ok ok, I see, I need to get both :D

Thank you for your response!

18. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    No. He is saying his favorite NA car IS (singular) his Stradale, which comes in after his other favorite, his F40. He is giving the ranking of his favorites. How do you read that as him having a NA F40?!

HH11 likes this.
  19. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    A beautiful Speciale sold in TX a few weeks ago for $50k over. Confirmed.

20. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I adored my Speciale Aperta and was underwhelmed with my Pista Aperta, very digital. I love the look of the Pista but little else.

There is such a thing as fast enough as the reward you can on the road is finite. 458 SA is easily fast enough for road use.

ScottS, willcrook, LMH and 9 others like this.
  21. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    I've had them all: the CS, Scud, and now Speciale. Do not like turbo's so I passed on the Pista, plus it's styling to me is over the top fussy.

IMO the Special is the sweet spot, fast and modern and very engaging to drive. Next favorite is CS, but in modern context the gear box is awful and the suspension is quite brittle (stiff). Moreover the CS is quite fragile compared to a Speciale - the latter has much better build quality and is more usable.

All great cars though ...

Best.

matt0, willcrook, LMH and 3 others like this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sometimes you and I dont agree, but on this I do completely.

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Like or hear thoughts on Scud please.
    I had Speciale and Pista. And a lot of 458’s, now Lusso12. Been thinking of a CS, and possibly a Scud (the one posted on Fchat). But nobody here seems to offer any love on the Scud.

plastique999 likes this.
  24. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Gone from Challenge Stradale -> Speciale -> Pista and absolutely love the Pista.

Having had the chance to bounce back and forth between my Pista and Speciale at Apex Motor Club track at the FCA National, the Pista was so much better and so much more fun. Much more capable a car that the Speciale sat in the paddock for most of the day.

25. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Had a CS as my third Ferrari (all used up to that point). Sold it in favour of my first new one - a Speciale. I absolutely fell in love with the CS when I test drove it and bought it when prices were soft. Made a load on it by the time I came to sell it. The exhaust sound was amazing and I could drive it pretty quickly and well.

When the Speciale arrived I had thought I might miss the CS but I never gave it another thought, My Pista Spider is delivered next Wednesday after getting caught at our locked-down dealer. Speciale is still here and won’t be going anywhere. In truth, since it was our first new Ferrari, atelier ordered and factory collected, it’s not just the car that we’re keeping but the story. But the car is just magical. I have always loved its looks, driving and fun. I could never recommend the wonderful CS over it.

Unless I hate the Pista (which I doubt), we plan to keep it too. We got the Spider so it offers something different and it is TM. We recently had our first TM, an 812, which is so fast. What is key to that car, though, is that it is still fun and wonderful to drive at 7/10ths. Hopefully I’ll enjoy the PS in that range too.

NGooding, Bundy, Musicman and 3 others like this.