Launch 431 pro mini clutch life | FerrariChat

Launch 431 pro mini clutch life

Discussion in '360/430' started by 78bonanza, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    Can the Launch 431 Mini read clutch used/remaining on an F1 transmission ?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    What year / make car

The mini pro can read the closed clutch position and new closed position and a wear percent can be calculated

The wear percent field does work but not always on all models

So yes you can determine the wear using the mini pro for f430 and a 360 with a CS tcu

I cannot speak to earlier 360 ..I believe there were issues reading the tcu on those ..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

kes7u likes this.
  3. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That is correct, Dominick. The mini pro did not work with my 2000 Modena, but works perfectly now with the CS TCU.

For some reason, many people (NOT impugning the OP) seem really bothered by the fact that they can't simply look at the unit to get percent wear. It really is a simple calculation based on easily available values.

Kevin

flash32 likes this.
  4. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    The X431 does give you clutch life remaining, but not where you would think. I took my 08 430 to a local shop where they used the Autel and I got a reading of 48.84 percent. I came home and found the reading of 48.92 on the 431. It was under Clutch Configuration.

I think we need a 431 thread to help each other with info available, or not.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    As previously mentioned .. some do work ..and since you have the newest tcu being a 08 for a f430 it makes sense ..some older f430 you would need to use the clutch close position

Actually a favor .. please give us a print of closed clutch position ..and new clutch closed position and let's see if the calculation works as well

Thanks in advance

kes7u likes this.
  6. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I tried the calculation and it didn’t work, or I was doing it wrong. My measurements were 1.78 inches and 1.93 inches. Applying the conversion to MM and calculation results in a much higher number.

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Calculation of clutch wear percentage for Ferrari 360/430:
    Autocalibrated closed clutch position - NEW closed clutch position / Clutch thickness (8.5mm for 360, 5.6mm for 430) *100 = % wear on clutch

I cut and paste this from another thread ..easier to cut and paste vs type

This was courtesy of kes7u

kes7u likes this.
  8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I haven't seen it work for a 2000 Modena unless it has the CS tcu ..so not sure why you feel it works .. let us know your thoughts

kes7u likes this.
  9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  10. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Note that it doesn’t work with the X431 Pro Mini and an 08 430.

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have to disagree ..please show printouts of the calculated clutch position ...and new clutch closed position in mm .. we can determine percent

Remember that the percent of wear figure can be changed so don't out too much into it

Also make sure you select the right selection for tcu

12. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
  13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    kes7u likes this.
  14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    An just for the record ..please understand just trying to make it work for you .. others have done it and it works fine

So if you don't want us to help see if it does work or what the issue is ...by all means I have nothing to gain here

15. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    The X431 doesn’t give that reading in MM and the readings in TCU301 were similar. Happy to see if others with this reader have a different readout or can show a different result.

16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Here is an example ..values in the forties usually represent the wrong software version used .. just going based in prior experience .. Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    How would you explain the Autel (most recent version) providing the exact same reading?

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I know the wear figure is rewritable whereas the clutch position is calculated unless the person who changed clutch didn't put back the original value in new clutch position .. sometimes that happens

That all being said ..if the 3.01 says the same thing as the 2.** Version on x431 then I have no answer other than the right values were not inputted during a clutch change or the wear percent was changed or the new version of the software 10.85 has a bug ..which I believe some have tested but not sure .. was the clutch changed ever since new ?

Both tools are look at the same values in the tcu so it proves that at least the x431 and autel are reading the same location in memory of tcu

Btw the only true way to get a close to accurate is to have someone look at the actual clutch thru the inspection window and see physical wear ...

AandSC likes this.
  19. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I’ll be doing my annual fluid changes next weekend, so I’ll look at the clutch then. Can’t say if the clutch was ever changed as there’s no record. I’ll look for signs it was changed next weekend also.

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I spent a little time researching my memory .. and found that when f131e was selected instead of f430 f131 ev08 the numbers appeared like yours ..almost exactly

When you can check try the ev08 selection with both versions of the tcu 2.* And 3.* .. I am pretty sure you will get the right numbers ...

I hope that will be the silver bullet ..

This also happens on the autel when you select the wrong f430 model ..

Give it shot .. I am also curious

AandSC likes this.
  21. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
  22. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #23 flash32, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    The answer should be yes ..but to guarantee you I cannot since I have seen it tested in 07 08 and scuderia and a 360 CS TCU

If you are only looking for a lite tool with limited bidirectional capabilities ..look into ap200 autel ..it will provide you with the data stream and perform some function ....nothing like setting values etc like pis etc but for dtc , and data streams for one car brand ..you can't beat it for 70 dollars

23. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    That’s the one I have, and it does give you clutch wear, settings, and you can set PIS. You can get it from eBay for about $635.

24. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Great suggestion! I'll probably start there.

Other than setting PIS, what other settings might I want to access?
    (and is chasing the PIS recommended? My car that i just bought from Dan "whatheheck" has a MASE tune in it, if that matters)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk