488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 48 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Yes - unfortunately it appears that it is just another Bentley that Ferrari keeps producing :)

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree. The mac is a long way ahead in areas which will count on a circuit.

I actually much prefer the look of the Bentley in this case. Both will no doubt drive equally super smooth and luxurious.......seems to be a direction Ferrari is taking.

tekaefixe and PTG1 like this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I dont know the inside baseball of the SPF90 to understand that reference. I'll have to google the reviews. Surprised not any talk on FChat in the section about it.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

I’m going to add comment but with disclosure of the Speciale (for sake of modern analogy, until I get a Pista) vs F40.
    If I want an “easy” car to drive, go through Starbucks, drive through canyons, strap in my kid, or go to dinner with wife (after quarantine) then Speciale/Pista is the easy all purpose car.
    If I want to invigorate my soul, stir all five senses of my being, challenge my skills to the utmost through the canyons with clammy, sweaty hands, adrenaline at peak intensity, with requisite immense concentration and reaping that sweet reward as if I had aced a calculus test...then F40 it is.
    That is the better driver’s car, for me.

Sent from my 16M

Caeruleus11 and SoCal to az like this.
  5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Looks are very subjective, very.....

(feel free to put up a poll)

Sent from my 16M

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    To play devil’s advocate, could one say the same overwhelming power could be experienced by a 720S or 600LT?
    (flame suit on)

Sent from my 16M

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yes. 100% with regard to 720. Can’t comment on 600 as I have limited time in one.

plastique999 likes this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The Pista looks more “modern”. The f40 is iconic. Modern could be considered “better” but nothing touches the look of an f40.

roma1280 and plastique999 like this.
  9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Ok so quick comparison of 720 vs Pista please?
    I really want a Pista but then I want to try a Mac......

Sent from my 16M

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Lots of threads on this but both super powerful. 720 “feels” quicker. Pista more raw, louder. 720 feels more agile due to lighter weight and carbon tub. Pista more aggressive, they are both awesome in a different way.

Which to buy? Pista will be the more rare and will hold value better long run but a used 720 could
    be the bargain of the century assuming you get one that is sorted out and well maintained.

Drive both. If you have a speciale, I think you won’t like the 720 but who knows. I love them both for different reasons. If in Scottsdale ever- ping me. Happy to show you both.

11. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have ordered an SF90. I like the look - I think it’s daring, different and interesting. I enjoy looking at it. My first impression was over-the-top positive in Maranello but the unrelenting wave of negativity, no doubt from those who don’t want to buy one, has probably since dampened my willingness to be too effusive publicly.

Being the fastest is not important to me though. Yes, ok, it has to be blindingly quick, feel like it has 1,000hp. It has to feel quicker than the Pista, not because the Pista isn’t already more than fast enough but because it sits above it in the range and claims a faster laptime.

Beyond that though, what’s really critical is that it has to feel modern and truly emotional at the same time. This car points the way for the exotic industry and its move towards green(er) powertrains. Ferrari are the most experienced and best resourced developer there is - they should point the way. If this car achieves what seems difficult/impossible, it deserves a great place in history. It has much against it - no one has yet made a hybrid feel at the pinnacle of what is enjoyable about exotic cars, it is heavier than recent exotics (which, lest we forget, are heavier than what went before them too), technology is a huge part of the identity of this car and that has often been seen as an inhibitor to pure fun. SF90 has to make us lose sleep because we are about to go on a road trip, it has to make us sit inside it in our garage because we don’t have time to take it somewhere, it has to make wealthy people get their hands wet on a cold Saturday morning to get it clean again. It has to make us love it. If anyone can do it Ferrari can. And if they do, SF90 deserves to be loved because it will have done us all a massive favour.

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    For sure!
    Wife has relatives in AZ so I may hit you up in the future.

Sent from my 16M

SoCal to az likes this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    My interpretation of a successful sports car is when a manufacturer can provide all of the ingredients to stir the 5 sensations one expects from a true driving machine into their latest technology vehicle/s. Very few makers have shown they can achieve the perfect blend of these particular elements, often sacrificing a certain ingredient or, adding too much of one and/or not enough of the other.

Note: I will refer the elements as being primarily sound (inside and out and, of engine/g/box drive-line), vibration (felt through the controls and inside cabin), connectivity and ability to modulate the controls (throttle, brake, steering, gearshift, engine performance and, power delivery). Then of course there is reliability.

In the earlier cars usually one or more of these elements is always found to be either inadequate, unecessarily clumsy and disconnected in feel, and with too much of one or more element out of harmony with the remaining elements. So to say this is a good thing I'm not so sure about that, especially when you can have it all in the perfect blend in a later car with all the latest tech and design. I would however agree these near perfect examples of motoring nirvana are rare indeed nowadays but thankfully they DO exist.

So, to suggest modern engineering has been unable to improve upon design and driving experience is drawing a very long bow indeed, as is saying the real thrills are found mainly in the older cars - not discounting the fact so many seek to modify the bugs out of these cars which detract from the driving experience.

Absolutely. That applies to anything. When I look at an F40 I appreciate for what it was back then, viewing it in today's world, and, when I look at Pista I appreciate it for what it is today, viewing it in "today's" world.

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 720s will not appeal to you at all. It is the epitome of the modern trend of super cars.

plastique999 likes this.
  15. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Have you considered a 675LT? It’s raw and has old school turbo lag which some (myself included) find thrilling. Totally different feel than the Pista.

Bundy, plastique999 and Thecadster like this.
  16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have no emotion, no feeling, really no interest towards Mclaren but people whose opinion i respect wholeheartedly claim it is the best driving car they own (and these people own it all, literally). for under 200k it almost seems like a no brainer to pick one up even if short lived. it's on my shortlist and i never thought id say that as my eyes can't differentiate an MPC12 from a senna.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
  18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    675LT is definitely worth looking at. I also believe they have pretty much bottomed out and dare I say they may go up some day. From a fit and finish perspective they were made much better than the non LT cars. They look great, have more than enough power and drive pretty raw compared to many newer cars.

19. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Not only is it a great driver’s car, but It’s also handsome and will age well. I’ve told friends it’s the ‘one and done’ model for collectors wanting to dabble in McLaren.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bundy, 06viper, Wikdstrate and 3 others like this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i hear ya - how is it that they trade like a scud that's 11 years old?! the scud is my barrier to this car at current price points!

21. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    McLarens are more of a niche market than Ferrari. Also, I believe some are worried about long term reliability and maintenance costs since the brand is still relatively new. Fair concerns but it doesn’t take away from the awesomeness of the car itself. Besides, they’re cheap enough that one can set aside a contingency fund for repairs.

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1197 Shadowfax, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    They've dropped like a bomb here. To think a couple years ago you couldn't buy one for love nor money and even so they were asking high 8's to 9, and now asking 4's and sitting is not a good sign. Good buying considering, but I foresee a continuing downhill slide that appears to have no bottom. While 720s can be had between high 3's to early 4's leaves 675lt in a bit of a quandary. I just cant see 675lt as the car Maclaren is going to be remembered for. Probably better to do a deal on a 600lt....or just buy a 720s.. The 720 has also proven better property than a 488 resale wise. Although i'm sure in us pricing they'd be even more of a gift again. Some very keen buying now. Not many 675's for sale, and good examples, but still don't seem to be shifting. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/mclaren/675lt/ I have a feeling 765 has now popped a big nail into its coffin.

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    675 over 720? similar prices now from what i see.

24. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I drove a 720s once and definitely prefer the 675. Acceleration felt similar but the LT is more of an occasion. I suspect that nicely spec’d LTs will all soon be in strong hands with owners who intend to hold onto them for a while. If prices remain depressed, I may pick up a Spider as well. Actually, several people I know with LTs are thinking about buying a second car. They’re a bargain.

Bundy and Thecadster like this.
  25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    cool thanks. that seems to be concensus.