Does anyone have background info on this 400i | FerrariChat

Does anyone have background info on this 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Fort Worth 360, Apr 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
  2. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
  3. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    I have seen them in person and am drawn to have one!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Well 41527 is a really nice color combo and interior looks great. Looks to have a series II toolkit with it, but 83 was the start of the series II and maybe they had already transitioned to the new tool kit style. It's a shame they cut the nose for the side markers (and the rears as well, but especially the nose)--but otherwise the car looks nice and if you want a 5-speed 400i, your choices are fairly limited.

To be honest though I would also open my search up to Europe as well. Their values seem to be more there, but they won't have any federalization stuff on it (the sides won't be cut) and you may open yourself up to other color combinations. Importing them at this age is easy and surprisingly inexpensive. (to be sure some US federalized cars also avoided being cut for side markers too. My nose wasn't cut but my rear quarters were--but some US cars avoided being cut at all.)

5. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Looks quite nice - seems like a steal at that asking, assuming all checks out.

Keep us posted! Good luck!

Ruben

6. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Hello, Fort Worth 360.....welcome!

A bit confusing though, flat black rear lamp panel, Series 1, curved upper dash, controls on rt hand floor for trunk & fuel, Series 1, but body color hood vent for Series 2 cars.

Tool/first aid kit, same as Series 2 cars, no big deal, agree, could be as factory.

Drivers seat bottom seems to be in much better condition than all the other seats, in fact drivers headrest looks worse than seat. Probably they only changed the leather on LF seat bottom, as it was likely the worst in condition.

The exposed portion of the exhaust under the body should be black, not silver, easily fixed, and some cracking in tire sidewalls while still having decent tread.

The amber lights on my front fenders where only stick-on reflectors, no bulb, no holes, a length of steel fishing leader pulled through the adhesive plus a rag with tar remover and they were gone.

Actually a nice looking car all in all......I here the airlines are begging for passengers, might be worth the trip ! Bring your checkbook !

Gary

PS: Impressive amount of original plating still remains on fuel lines, PS reservoir lid, etc. !

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White

This is a series 1 car, hence the black rear panel, earlier dash, manual hood/trunk controls. But considering the car is silver, it would be hard to see the hood vent being body color or not, but looking closer at the pic it looks slightly different to my eye.

Man you got lucky on those reflectors. I wonder if more people's could be easily removed like that. Wow.

8. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Millimetric rims and series 2 small tools roll. The spare wheel is presented like in a series 2 400i (rim face up) hence this wheel cannot be locked in the well (the thread is all the way down on a series 1).

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    TRX wheels came on late series 1s too.....which may also explain the tool kit, say if both of those changes were taken together.

10. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Thanks Brian,
    Agreed the TRX wheels certainly made it to the late series 1 cars, my point is that the series 2 tools roll is made to sit on top of the external side of the spare wheel. In a series 1 car (hence without the rear suspension valve housing), the spare wheel ought to sit external side down, in order to be able to lock it. With the spare wheel sitting this way (face down), the series 2 tools roll would look strange sitting at the "bottom" of the wheel.

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Ahh, I see what you're saying now. Yeah, I wonder if either A) this car has the series II type rear suspension, or if B) this car has a slightly different setup to hold down the spare even though it doesn't have the valve housing present if it doesn't have the suspension.

Either way, I will say that engine bay looks extremely clean.

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Wow, the car sure presents very well and looks quite nice. Also, one has to give kudos for the seller for presenting 60+ higher resolution pictures! From what I can see the only pictures missing would be from underneath the car!

The asking price of $62.5K USD looks very reasonable and this is an asking price and so it may be possible to get the car for less.

When I have some time I may create a dedicated thread on this car so all of the car's details can be captured. If I do this then I will include a link to this and the other thread so we can try and consolidate the info.

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Brian,

I am not sure where you have been looking, but looking at the European asking prices I have found (mobile.de) I saw very few (2 out of 17) under about $50K Euro and these cars were automatics (Average price of 17 available was about $69K Euro or about $75K USD). Condition comparable 5-sp models seem to be at least 20% to 30% more than automatics. I agree that there appears to be a much better selection in Europe, but I believe one would pay more than the $62.K USD offered on this car for a European car once one factors in the car cost + time/effort to remotely look at various cars, + time/effort to find a suitable shop to do a PPI, + transport + importation costs, etc. As a result I think there is a great value in buying the car on this side of the pond if the car checks out and ticks the buyer's boxes.

Cheers,

Sam

14. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Around November 2019 before in purchase my 1984 400i, I had contact with the owner who sold this car to the selling dealer and he told me that buying the car at $69k would be a fair price to pay. The dealer is probably looking to make 10%

If it’s now being sold for $62, then you are pretty much the lowest price you will get unless the dealer is willing to sell at a lose.

Here is another options for you.
    This car started being offered at $69 and now the asking price is down to $59,9

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1985-ferrari-400i-5-speed-c-10555.htm

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  16. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    The Red/Tan BHCC car appears nice...although looking forward to others (Sam P !) for commentary.

I do have question for anyone, bit OT, yet at what time, model & series was dash covered in Leather only and when switch to "mouse fur" (alcantara?). I have a '74 365gt4 dash Leather; I've seen other '74's also leather & some covered in 'fur'. Euro vs NA spec play a role? Thanks in advance.
    JN

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I think all 365s had the mouse fur and any that are leather have been redone later in life. Once they went to the 400 the dashes were leather.

But I'm not 100% on if they transitioned to leather in the late 365 production prior to the 400.

rovexienus likes this.
  18. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Thank you.....it is, as are most "things Vintage Ferrari", up for debate., :)

19. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Hey Jack, do you still have the 308GT4? Hope you are well. Rick