Sold - 1965 Daytona Coupe-period correct build! | FerrariChat

Sold 1965 Daytona Coupe-period correct build!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Rmcag, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rmcag

Rmcag Rookie

Jan 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is a period-correct Shelby Daytona Coupe re-creation, completed in March of 2020, less than 5 miles on the break-in, it's brand new! Professionally built with thousands spent in performance upgrades. Powered by a fresh built 351, assembled by one of the top engine builders in SoCal. It features a downdraft 8-stack aluminum intake with FAST 2.0 self-learning EFI and performance aluminum heads. The engine is backed by a 5-speed manual transmission with an 8.8 Ford solid rear axle. Additional upgrades under the hood include a high amp alternator, aluminum water pump, full-length headers, and an aluminum radiator with electric fans.

The car rides on a jig-welded, powder-coated tube frame chassis. It's equipped with Halibrand replica wheels on Mickey Thompson tires, and disc brakes with aluminum calipers.

Other features include Vintage Air A/C, removable side windows, LED interior lights and dual side exhaust wrapped in white fiber heat wrap. The suspension uses a three-link setup in the rear and coil-overs upfront and steering is a rack & pinion setup.

It's titled as a 1965 Type 65 coupe so it can be insured as a vintage vehicle and no smog requirements and/or export issues. It was professionally painted in the period-correct "Patriot Blue" exterior paint color to a Show Quality standard. The panel gaps on the composite body were adjusted set for perfect fitment. It has the Daytona Car Number #1 Livery along with the Vintage Style Sponsor Decals exactly as per the Original Racing look, and are removable if desired.

The interior features aluminum panels have been painted to match the Patriot Blue exterior complete with 5 point harness seats and Carroll Shelby's's signature on the dash. Lots of attention to detail was paid to the correct Daytona trim and accessories both inside and out like the period-correct leather steering wheel and gauges.

The car is located in Palm Springs, CA

Included with the car is a custom assembled framed presentation with some historical photos along with a NEW photo of this very Daytona!

It includes the Authentic Signatures of both Carroll Shelby and Peter Brock the cars two designers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Beautiful
    Did I miss the price

3. Rmcag

Rmcag Rookie

Jan 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks. Forgot to include it up top, asking $129,900

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Period correct?

19633500GT likes this.
  5. Rmcag

Rmcag Rookie

Jan 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As in it was built to resemble an authentic Daytona on the exterior with the original style items like wheels, side pipes, paint color, etc, not one that's been hotrodded and customized with modern style

6. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Upfront, I'm sorry, but I believe in truth in advertising and this ad really is rubbing me the wrong way.

This car is a Factory Five Type 65.

This car was designed by Factory Five. They were in lawsuits with Shelby for years about this car and had to change enough such that it was no longer true to the original and could not advertise it as a Daytona. Shelby and Brock authorized Superformance to build Brock's V2.0 of the Daytona, which is a different company and a different car. The signatures being authentic seems suspect to me. Calling it true to form is incorrect.

I also have to call out the price as Formacars sells turnkey Type 65's for 82k and custom work Type 65's at 92k+.

Once again, sorry, but after doing about 6 months of research into Daytonas, reading the build journals of many many Type 65 builds, I had to point that out. It looks solid, the build looks professionally done, but it's not a Superformance Daytona thought it's priced as one.

Noel likes this.
  7. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I had a Superformance Cobra and I agree with this assessment, I too feel this ad is misleading. bad vibes.

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Carol Shelby died May 10, 2012. Exactly when and where did he sign this car?

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #10 Meister, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    "Discussing/Criticizing" cars for sale here is a very fine line. Often times sellers have a lot of money and or personal time in the car and that has to be respected. However to call this a period correct build is inaccurate (period inspired..ok) and IMO potential buyers here need to know that. Mods claim you are not suppose to disparage cars on condition or price but at the same point there are potential buyers here who don't know the particulars of a true vintage Daytona coupe and IMO that information is valuable and helps protect and even at times educate them.

The car looks very well built, probably goes like hell and would be a wonderful toy to have in any garage, period correct however no... I wont start a list of non period stuff, but lets just start by saying of the 6 original coupes i've seen, neither had a leather wrapped steering wheel with a cobra emblem/horn button in the center. The vintage look battery is a nice touch though ;)

JoeTSI and tantumaude like this.
  10. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Factory Five stamped into the left rear suspension trailing arm (last pic in series). Car looks terrific & I too bet it "goes like Hell"...fun saying that !
    Best

11. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    This sort of chicanery is something I had hoped people on FChat were above.. but clearly not.

Every OP post in the past and those in the future must be scrutinized carefully. This behavior isn't accidental.....

12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Beautiful car! I'm sure it's a lot of fun too. I'm just caught up on how a dead guy was able to sign it? Maybe there's a plaque affixed that was pre-signed?

13. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You have to get up early in the morning to fool this crowd...How early????..about 3 years .

Best of luck with sale...Beautiful color car!