Carbon wheels for Pista Spider | FerrariChat

Carbon wheels for Pista Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JackCongo, Apr 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    My Pista Spider arrived at the dealer's just before the lockdown. I had a chance to see her but haven't driven her yet...

As we all know, carbon wheels were not available as a factory option for Pista spiders but my dealer got a note from the factory making a carbon rim set available as an accessory. I decided to go for it and the four carbon rims were delivered last week.

My first idea was to keep those wheels aside as precious gems, but considering that we live only once (perhaps the current pandemia helped in that way), I decided to ask my dealer to put them on.

I am wondering if some other pista spiders owners were also offered those carbon wheels. If yes, has anyone decided to get them? Any pictures or advices would be welcome!

Stay safe.

Jacques

Caeruleus11 and IloveGT like this.
  2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I have a coupe with carbons and added an aftermarket set of wheels but we are wrapping the carbons in PPF to see how that works.

3. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    What is PPF ? Plastic protection film? If yes Please share your opinion about it once it is done.

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #4 Gh21631, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Same film used on the paint (paint protection film). It seems possible to wrap the spokes and then the barrel. It will help with nicks but obviously not any real damage like hitting a curb or pothole.

5. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    PPF will likely fail on wheels from the heat of the brakes. If you drive aggressive at all you will likely see heat damage. Also brake dust has little to no time to dissipate heat by the time it hits wheels so it will melt into PPF. If you want the look of carbon and don’t want the fragile carbon wheels have them hydro dipped. I have two friends who track their hydro dipped wheels and they hold up great. I would assume though that after a couple years of track use they will have to recoat.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Those are good points regarding the heat.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes several has been offered the CF wheels at my dealer since the Spider launch. Any dealer can order a set - it doesen't even have to be for a Pista client. If you want a set for your 488 GTB or F8, or perhaps fit them to your Speciale, just get a set from your dealer. They are no different than any other wheel your dealer can get for you.
    Also, when a relative and close friend of mine was speccing his Pista Spider over a year ago at the factory, he was offered to have the car with blue CF wheels to match the car. Not entirely sure about the no-go on cf wheels for the Spider. Seems like some can and some dealers can't. I know of at least one other Spider that came with red cf wheels

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Doubt that will work at all. Those discs cat get up to 700c if you push hard. I think it is easier to get them polished on occasion if they get a bit sand blasted. If something impacts the wheel hard enough to penetrate the clear coat, then PPF won't do any good. I would worry way more about the PPF melting or catching fire which in both cases could cause problems. The PPF might get loose and up in a bad place - like the brakes.
    I would definitely not PPF the wheels unless it was a garage queen that was never driven.

Gh21631 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    PPF is a huge no no on wheels. You can have them lacquered but any application on the wheels will provide minimal protection.

10. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    carbon fiber wheels later became an option for pista spider. post it pic after putting them on, very curious to see too!

11. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    That’s interesting, my dealer was clear: no way to get carbon wheels as factory option for spiders. Anyway it does make any sense as we know now that it is available for all cars as accessories.

Anyway, PPF Doesn’t sound as a good idea. Let’s just be very careful!!

12. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Very soon we will see some Pista Spider with carbon wheels from factory. ;)

13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I was speaking with an owner of a Pista with CF wheels. He said if you break a rim, the factory requires you to buy 4 new rims because they have to be manufactured as a set. Was he pulling my leg? He seemed pretty serious about tracking the car a lot

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

14. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    All Very lucky owners, let’s post some pictures when they come!

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I was told that initially as well which is why I bought another set but soon found out that it is not true.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No he is not pulling your leg, and Carbon Revolution does not sell to consumers anymore.
    Now as has been said before, cf wheels can in fact be repaired.

17. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    It wasn't an option till 2020 Jan. I then changed my mind to go with novitec and hre so i passed.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes it was. I personally know of a build in 2018 where the lady at the atelier along with the dealer suggested it, as she thought it would look nice. On top of that I also personally saw two Pista Spiders roll off a delivery truck while visiting my dealer last summer - both with CF wheels.
    I suspect this is yet another case of dealers not knowing and making an effort to find out what's possible. Hell, you still have dealers telling clients they cannot have their car painted in F1 2007 or Fuji. Reminds me of the time when some dealers denied that there was an extra aftermarket wheel option for the Italia, or the ones who tell you that you can only have LED wheels with CF. :rolleyes:

19. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I do not know much about carbon, to which extent can it be fixed ? Can it be done by any specialized workshop or do you mean by the original manufacturer ?