100 push ups a day | FerrariChat

100 push ups a day

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by SoCal to az, Apr 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Over the years I’ve done every workout, every trend, weights, cardio, orange Theory, p90x, Insanty etc etc.

For the last month- have done nothing but a 100 push ups a day using g the Perfect Push up. And as I got stronger I added about 50 regular push ups.

have never been so cut and toned in my life. 10 minutes tops if that and hard cut and chisled. I’m 48.

Go figure!

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I did this too while I was in Iraq, prepped for my PT test there. Every time someone would come to my desk, we'd hit the deck and push. 30 days of it and I did the most PUs I've ever done on a PT test.

The results are as you say.

TexasF355F1 and SoCal to az like this.
  3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Push ups are the most beneficial, all body work out one can do. I could recommend adding planks- 2 - 2 minutes per day for abs, shoulders, pecs and legs , as well as 100 sit ups especially important for abs. I have been weight training regularly for the last 49 years and in the last 20 years- daily. Not being able to go to the gym in the last 4 weeks has caused me to implement these exercises described above at home. I also have weights at home which I use daily.

VAF84 likes this.
  4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Good call on the plank. ill add that and the sit ups.

5. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    You guys are starting to motivate me.... good advice here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have worked out for 35 years regularly. And I work out hard. Used to train for the Ironman till a bike accident ended that dream. I lifted hard, I ran hard. At the gym I was benching 225 regularly. Ran on the streets, ran on the treadmills. Each workout was at least an hour. I was motivated and I was driven. But it takes its toll to continue on that pace, especially when you don't see the gains you need.

Freaking 10 minutes of push ups and nothing else other than just eating right (which still hasn't been the greatest in this shutdown) has done more to transform my body than anything else I've ever done. Its all I do now and plan on doing in the foreseeable future, just adding more reps as I get stronger. Im actually up to 200 a day now. 100 with the Perfect Push up, 100 regular.

Its insane it took me this long to discover this simple fix.

F2003-GA and Flavio_C like this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Add pull ups and dips and that's all you need. That's what I've been doing since my gym has been closed off so I do that outside on some bars we have at work and it's been great.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    yes. All the body weight stuff is great but I guess the point of my post was that you don’t really need to complicate things at all. Just pushups will work fine!

AHudson and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  9. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Can you share a link with perfect push-up technique?
    I used to be disciplined with push-ups, pull-ups and sit ups after every run but then excuses happened and I only run. Starting to get back into it and figure Monitoring my technique is intelligent component.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Here is a link- I guess they have several different versions. This is not exactly what I have but similar. It’s amazons choice.
    https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Pushup-Handles-Rotating-Base/dp/B07BNPS3KT/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=perfect+push+up+handles&qid=1587428736&sprefix=perfect+pus&sr=8-3

It helps to support the wrists. I’ve enjoyed using them but a 100 pushups with these is more like 200 regular ones. Definitely more difficult.

JanStuart and C50 like this.
  11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Pics or it didn’t happen
    But how about the core? I find that the hardest part about getting “cut” as we get older is the midsection

Sent from my 16M

AHudson likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah- no pics. Sorry. Im 48 and my definition of "chiseled" is relative. :)

Honestly- core is getting cut as well. surprisingly its pretty amazing how the entire upper body is getting tight and cut. Ive always struggled with a little gut- about 2 years ago, started TRT- testosterone replacement therapy. Thats a story for another thread which Im happy to discuss but it was the best thing I ever did. That has helped but still, the push ups I just started a month ago and have seen massive changes in the body. Massive!

Just freaking pushups. nothing else.

13. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Are you doing all these at once,,, or breaking up the routine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I do 4 sets of 25 with the perfect pushup. 25 push ups with about a minute break. Then I do about 2-3 sets of 30-40 regular. When I first started I was only able to do 10-15 at a time but you build up strength pretty quick.

And last night added 30 seconds of plank at the end. Goal is each day to increase that by 1 second. So in a month Im at a minute plank, 2 months 90 second plank etc.

TG likes this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Progress. Did 3 sets of 30 pushups tonight. and one last set of 10. Prior to tonight I could not do more than 25 at a time. 5 more per set is a set up for me. 31 seconds of plank tonight as well. Adding 1 second to my 30 second plank time.

F2003-GA and amenasce like this.
  16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Happy for your success and I oughta try this during the lockdown ...God knows we have the time.
    I’m same age as you and interested in your experience with TRT. Had a colleague recommend it but when tested for testosterone was normal...I wanted it to be low because others have told me how great supplementing it was...energy, physicality, etc.

Sent from my 16M

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    TRT- ok here goes. Short answer - its the best thing Ive ever done in my life. Period. Long answer below.

Ive always been "skinny fat". In high school I was 16 and 6'2" 135 pounds. Could eat anything. Didnt matter, couldn't put on weight. Well, those bad habits of eating stuck with me( I still struggle with it today)- and I got heavier and thicker, but not muscular. Ive always worked out but could never put on muscle even though I as I got into my 30s and 40s, I put on weight.

I had a body fat of around 25% or higher but it was all in my gut. As I mentioned previously, I did every work out possible but just couldn't get that v shaped body and get cut. About 3 years ago went in for a physical and my testosterone was about 125. The range in the particular test was from 200-900. I was low.

This explained a lot of things for me. having belly fat that I could never get rid of no matter how hard I tried to diet or work out. Energy was lagging. I would get tired. Mood changes- talk about grumpy, that was me. and difficulty in building proper muscle tone and strength. For the life of me, on my bench press, I couldnt do more than a plate on each side. 135 pounds. I was 135 in high school but as I got older I got skinny fat and was over 225 pounds. hit 245 at my peak after I broke my clavicle training for the Ironman and couldnt work out.

So my blood test in my physical was telling of low t. I found a doc who specializes in this stuff. I now use Defy Medical in Florida. its all telemedicine. Anyway- got a prescription and spent a year or so dialing in the dosages. I now do .2cc 3x a week. I do a bit of anastrozole and HCG as a cocktail. Anastrozole helps keep estrogen down cause if you do too much testosterone, your body converts it to estrogen. HCG keeps your balls from shrinking cause the testicals arnent producing testosterone anymore as you are supplementing.

Anyways- fast forward with the dosages dialed in, energy up. Strength up. I now bench 225 no problem. Remember I could not do 135! Belly fat down! Muscles up. endurance up. Really I feel like im 18 again, infact better than 18 as I have more strength and better body tone.

What are the downsides? really none. you have to watch your cholesterol, get regular blood tests - I get a physical and blood test twice a year. My dosages are so low that there are really minimal downsides.

I hope this helps and happy to clarify anything further. My recommendation to anyone who suffers from being skinny fat- try TRT. If you work out like mad and see no results, try TRT. If you are having trouble getting rid of belly fat, try TRT.

Good Luck.

wrs, SAFE4NOW and plastique999 like this.
  18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thanks for detailing your experience. With a low T value, you definitely needed it and I can see it was life changing.
    Thing is for me my T was within norm when checked, but I have other friends who, even with normal T, supplement low dose and see the dramatic benefits that you experience.
    So I’m wondering if a low dose T would be beneficial for the internal fat gut burning as well as energy. I’ll have to have my T retested.

Sent from my 16M

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    it will help. My T is toward the upper range of the test now. Most definitely even a slight increase will do wonders. It really is the fountain of youth.

plastique999 likes this.
  20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    how many do you do at a time? I'm just a runner now, haven't done tris or swam in 10+ years so don't have my upper body anymore. I could do 30-40 good push ups, but it would kill me. I just do 10 at a time which doesn't get into any burn or major pain.

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    When I first started, I couldnt do more than 15 at a time. Last night I did 3 sets of 30 and one last set of 10 with the perfect push up. Start slow. it's fine. even if you can do 5 at a time. do 100.

Its what Im doing with the plank. My plank sucks. 30 seconds is tough for me but I start with 30 seconds and add 1 second daily.

My goal is to be able to do 2 sets of 50 to get to a 10o. maybe ill get there, maybe not. But its looking a lot more achievable today than it was a month ago.

rob lay likes this.
  22. Image Unavailable, Please Login

I snuck a picture in while SoCal to az was looking for his Pista keys.

plastique999 and SoCal to az like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  24. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Question, with high reps of pushups have you not had a repetitive movement related injury? I've been having shoulder issues lately. Maybe using the "perfect pushup" will help remedy this in the future?

I had to modify from my gym workouts to this type of workout due to my work. Always in the middle of nowhere, so I adapted it to stuff I can do at a local high school track and can typically do it in about 30 min x 2 times a week.

Stretch
    50 Jumping Jacks
    3x's:
    • 20 pushups
    • 20 situps
    • 20 burpees
    • lap around the track
    Then 2 short sprints (all out) roughly 25 yards
    Then 4:30 minute planks - 45 seconds plank/30 seconds rest (basically 4 rotations)

Whenever I'm near a decent sized city I try to throw in some swimming, pull ups, and light weights. However, I'll second these this body weight workouts have been almost as effective as my prior workout, just little less muscle mass, and I have to watch what I eat more than I used to.

Island Time likes this.
  25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id start out doing as many pushups as you can in one go in the morning, then try again at night. build from there.