Daytona value | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Daytona value

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by F140FG, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
    I wasn't asking as an investment, I was just curious about how such an important car will perform on the next years

2. GLENN@TEAM AI

GLENN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Jun 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Agreed - especially if you know about the buy one (chassis #) get one free sale!

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    About where they are now, right?

4. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I see them going down to $300-$350k then back up to $500k in 5 years from now.

davemqv likes this.
  5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Depends on which boom you refer too. At the height of the crazy 80's boom my Daytona had an agreed insurance value of £400,000. That's north of $1m in today's terms.

Looking at today's markets I can think of only the F40 and Mercedes 300SL as cars with 4 figure production runs that have regularly sold for more than $1m. The supply of Daytonas has always kept the market slightly in check.

6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    The big money prices I knew about was from hedge fund managers buying them for investments and not people who actually had an interest or cared about them.

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so odd. i know tons of hedge fund managers and a ton of car guys and i dont know any of these

paulchua likes this.
  8. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    sorry

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are you saying you know hedge funds who bought daytons as investments in their funds? like along side other stock and bond investments? are they personally bought them, ie you are saying they were speculators?

10. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    2012-2015 we dealt with a few strictly vintage automobile portfolio funds

I'd have to look at some old emails, but I am quite certain they all liquidated or went bust

LARRYH, turbo-joe and amenasce like this.
  11. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Who knows a Daytona for sale for 300k?

Who knows a good Daytona for sale for 400k?

Who knows a fully restored Daytona for sale for 500k?

Please post them here and we have a good understanding on what current value is...

12. PBE624

PBE624 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2005
    De Panne Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Example for sale in Belgium: 725.000 EUR asking price, restored plexi SN 13203.
    https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=282055202&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=8600&makeModelVariant1.modelId=24&pageNumber=1&scopeId=C&sfmr=false&fnai=prev&searchId=897c6385-cca6-f5f8-fcaf-f1aa6ae84800

13. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Some second owner fool sold a 29,000 mile, very original car, in 2006 in the low 200's. It was so original it still had the delivery plastic on the door sills. But it was in great shape, driven, and pampered. What an idiot!

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Care to expand on or refine your perception or understanding of “fully restored” ?
    To paraphrase one of my all time favorite (movie line) quotes, which IMO perfectly applies to just about everything in life:
    “There are full restorations and then, there are full restorations. Former may not have much, if anything, in common with latter.“

For example (which I’ve offered before), most pre-war road cars, including our subject make/model, are made of well over hundred thousand bits & pieces and IMO, to consider any single car “fully (or completely, etc) restored”, vast majority or preferably all of those bits & pieces needs to be separated from each other and reconditioned/refurbished to equal (or better) condition than they were at the time said car was manufactured, not only in appearance, but also operationally and then carefully reassembled to fully functional ("like new" ?) car .

Anything less, especially those “restorations” commonly consisting of merely a repaint, reupholstery and overhauling of some major mechanical components, are far, far from “fully” done.

In general and regardless of make or model, whenever I hear/read of anything less than $300K spent on “full restoration”, I automatically think “What corners were cut and/or what wasn't done ?" or "Did someone do all those several thousand required hours of labor for free or at minimum wage ?"

I also assume (I know, I know...:rolleyes:) anyone with more than two ounces of common sense understands that to "fully restore" a 365 GTB/4 will be considerably more time & money consuming than, let's say, 250 GTO or Cal. Spdr, but likely less so than, let's say, "fully loaded" '58 Oldsmobile "98" sedan, if all are in equal condition at the start of the project.
    Heck, just to prep and repaint the latter requires likely close to twice the time (and materials) than any of the other three examples, while doing equivalent repaint on a 308 will take about same effort than 250 GTO.

wrxmike likes this.
  15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ???

16. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    That was me. Dumbest sale of my life.

4rextc and fiatosca like this.
  17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Asking prices are not selling prices...

375+, Daytonafan and turbo-joe like this.
  18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    How so ? Did you get what you needed or wanted at the time ?

turbo-joe likes this.
  19. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Price was fine at the time. I will just always regret it.

Daytonafan likes this.
  20. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    You are in good company.... I owned one of the most beautiful Alfa Romeo Sprint GT's in the world...100% perfect...1964, one of the very first. But didn't drive it that much, then this guy comes to me: "wow I have been searching for over 8 years to find a car like this, have seen them all, this is the best I have seen..its my dream car." ...I didn't really intend in selling it, but thought what the heck if this makes the guys life complete I will sell him the car...and even sell it for same price I paid.

3 Months later...car for sale at double the price, sold within the week.

I has been a 'life long lesson'...looking back it learned me a lot about people and their intentions.

Red Rocket, 4rextc and 375+ like this.
  21. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    #46 hagen111, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    A complete restoration done by e.g. Toni Auto, Brandoli, DK...you. Lets say a restoration that cost anywhere between 150-250k. A car still looking as if it was restored yesterday, so still looking fresh.

The point I want to make, is that when you are really in the market for one of these...and have to put your money down...the price you have to pay is higher that suggested here.

Werther they will go up or down...who knows. I believe it may go down first as demand will decrease, but may shoot up in a potential case we get hyperinflation after this crisis. Better get some silver and gold...

22. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
  23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    With all due respect, but it appears you’re likely making the common mistake by someone who’s never personally been involved (& gone through) a truly complete, every-nut-and-bolt restoration of anything similarly complex as 365 GTB/4 by confusing “complete” for a “comprehensive” or “cosmetic” refurbishment, i.e. comparing “apples-to-oranges”.

Just to thoroughly restore ALL mechanical/operational components on something like a 365 GTB/4 to look AND work “like new” can easily reach your suggested range ...
    ...and then there’s still ALL the body/paint, interior, bright works/trim, etc., to be dealt with.

OTOH, if you can find an example having received your suggested amount of restoration expenditures and it ticks all your boxes, just go for it and start enjoying the life behind the wheel.

Ferrari 360 CS and wrxmike like this.
  24. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    14821 was sold in 2014 for $946k then sold in 2020 for $604K. I saw the car in person last month and it's a very nice example. Someone got a great car at a fair price. It would cost 300k -$350K and two years to get one to this level.

25. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen