Ferrari Mondial AC recharge capacity? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Mondial AC recharge capacity?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Albert Penello, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    #1 Albert Penello, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    NEVERMIND. It's in the owner's manual: 1.2kg.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm reading the service manual and notice it doesn't list a capacity for the AC system. The recharge system is using the sight glass and pressures.

I also see it says to add 500g to test the system. I can't imagine that 500g is enough to fill all the hoses in this car.

People who have recharged the system - what's the fill capacity of the Mondial QV system? I have an automatic machine and can fill to exact amounts. Going to see if I can get the system working this weekend.

Thanks!

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    500g sounds right. The big bottle "AC Pro" cans are 566g.

3. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    500g is the fill and test amount per the service manual. But that's only 1 lb of refrigerant and that couldn't be enough given how long those lines are.

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Also, Albert, I'm not sure if you've seen notes on this in the WSM or online, but I believe that it's suggested that the fill occur while the motor is turning over at 2500 RPM, not the base idle. I have that written down in my notes from past AC conversations. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

2cam

Albert Penello likes this.
  6. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Thank you! Good to know I suspect that the pump needs to be running to get the full fill. However, that I think also assumes the old days with a vacuum pump and handheld gauges. I have a full automatic Robinair machine (which I love) and usually does a good job filling. But I can imagine the Ferrari has a weird process :)

2cam likes this.
  7. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Nice! It would be wonderful to have one of those machines. I'm sure that it makes the entire process much easier.

2cam