2020 silly season | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2020 silly season

Discussion in 'F1' started by Mitch Alsup, Mar 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, I bet that if Charles Leclerc was to win the 8-race championship on a Ferrari, the tifosi wouldn't ask for an asterix * after his title !!!!

What they really mean is that if Hamilton wins again, his 7th title would be worthless for them.

tifosi12 likes this.
  2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    If they push the 2020 cars out to next year, that gives them time to come up with their own steering system to match Mercedes'...they could even be working with it now on computers and simulators and have it in their cars for the first race...this year or next.

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The FIA announced that DAS would be banned nest year.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    MCLAREN INSIDERS SAY THEY WANT VETTEL

https://thejudge13.com/2020/03/18/mclaren-insiders-say-they-want-vettel

As his contract with Ferrari comes to an end at the end of the 2020 season, Sebastian Vettel may well be heading over to McLaren, where he knows Andreas Seidl, the British team’s boss.

TJ13 has published a few articles on this possibility since December 2019, but more and more rumour is ramping up the chances of such a move. If anything, the huge delay to the 2020 season would be a catalyst for something behind closed doors to be agreed upon. With fewer races available to prove worth, and team decisions about 2021 driver lineups compressed toward the end of the year, Vettel might well decide to move before being pushed.

The start of the Formula One season has been postponed by several weeks, but that doesn’t stop rumours about the future of the drivers. With the exception of Esteban Ocon (Renault), Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) and Max Verstappen (Red Bull), no other drivers are committed to 2021.

As a result, the future of a number of paddock names will be talked about, such as Lewis Hamilton, who has a good chance of staying with Mercedes, and above all Sebastian Vettel. The four-time World Champion will see his contract with Ferrari come to an end in 2020. And while the Scuderia has already secured Charles Leclerc, the German seems more than ever to be on the verge of departure.

Several teams could be in place to pick up Sebastian Vettel but one is most likely. This will not be the case for Renault, as Cyril Abiteboul explained recently, while Christian Horner also assured that the German driver belongs to Red Bull’s past, and Max is their future.

On the other hand, McLaren, which will be powered by Mercedes from 2021, could represent a great opportunity.

“Seidl knows Vettel well, they knew each other back in the days of BMW Sauber. If Sebastian owes it to someone, he will certainly think of Andreas. And that would be a fantastic PR opportunity for McLaren-Mercedes,” reveals a source close to the British team.

A major boost for Sebastian Vettel, who would therefore be reunited with Andreas Seidl, and which makes sense since the contracts of Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris, the two current McLaren drivers, come to an end at the end of the season.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Then how are Mercedes going to run the same chassis !

6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    And they could push that back a year if they want to.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well, the onus is on the FIA to explain that !!!

8. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    While I think McLaren signing Vettel would be bonkers - their current drivers are young, personable, and very talented - it makes some sense if (and this is a big if) they can't re-sign Sainz or decide not to re-sign Norris. Vettel is letting them (and others) know that he may be available cheap.

It would be a good thing for him to race with McLaren. I'm not sure it would be a good thing for McLaren.

DF1 likes this.
  9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

[QUOTE="zygomatic, post: 147149534, member: 65771 I'm not sure it would be a good thing for McLaren.[/QUOTE]

With a reputation now in question, he offers nothing towards a future for Mclaren. He is not a pay driver with sponsors to bring. If Mclaren are at all savvy they see the contract offered to Vettel via Ferrari. It is saying all they need to know.

zygomatic likes this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Max is not partaking in the ''official'' virtual F1 series....as the game they're using is just that, a game! Not a sim....

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm struggling to see why MClaren would dump either of their drivers as well, especially when having to fork over a massive sum to get Vettel. Surely their money is better spend improving the team more and more, and focus on 2022 in particular. THEN it makes sense to get a superb driver in.

If Vettel leaves Ferrari I can currently only seen Ricciardo go to Ferrari. What's the point of signing Leclerc for such a long period if they where to put Elton in the car? They know he's impossible to control.

stavura and Igor Ound like this.
  12. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Any team that has to think about 2022 as their comeback year will never have a comeback. It's simple, use all the data and design technology and talent and build the fastest and most reliable car. Don't think of grooming drivers, just get the best you can get and put him in the car. And then have a team and the leadership to give the car and driver all the support they need. Don't talk about it like it was going to the moon by the end of the decade. Approach it like you are fighting for your life. It is an immediate challenge.

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    In todays F1... the car is much more important than the car.

Look at it this way... for the past decade +, at most 2 or 3 cars have been capable of winning the championship (and that is debatable). But any of the top 10 drivers in the field are capable of winning in the best car.

Buy the best designer / design team. Spend your money there.

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I agree with you Bas, Mclaren has a fine driver line-up with modest contracts, great value. It might make sense to have a 4 time WDC onboard to attract major sponsorship. Danny Ricc is my first choice to replace Vettel, I would be happy with Sainz as well.

Bas likes this.
  15. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I wonder if McLaren sees benefit in Vettel's ability to develop a car and suspects that they will lose Sainz this year.

Bas likes this.
  16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    it worked so well with Alonso...

Think same about Ricci but i’d say Vettel is staying

Bas likes this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sainz would be a great number 2 driver I reckon. Not sure how much sponsorship Vettel attracts, by no means a jab at him but he's pretty low key outside the car/sport...same goes for Rosberg btw, hence why Merc brass didn't care when he left!
    That's the 20 million dollar question. I have no doubts in Vettel's capability of developing a car, clearly the Ferrari made some good strides forward since he joined the team. What (deeply) hurt Ferrari was the constant shuffling (sacking) of staff meant that the team hasn't really had much direction, Clearly for rhe 2019 (and 2020) the team went in the wrong direction concept wise, for rather bizarre reasons.

But Mclaren is now a team that isn't blessed with an endless sack of money so will have to make the choice in great staff or a star driver...and I do believe they'll get more from great staff rather than a great driver.

zygomatic likes this.
  18. DF1

19. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/149053/vettel-in-talks-with-ferrari-about-a-pay-cut

Sebastian Vettel is in talks with the Ferrari Formula 1 team about taking a pay cut as a result of the coronavirus crisis, but any decisions will be private.

The four-time world champion is in the final year of his contract with Ferrari and has already been speaking to the outfit about extending his deal.

However, his situation has been complicated by the F1 season being put on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic.

With teams facing a financial hit because of the lack of racing, a number of highly paid stars have taken pay cuts to ease the burden they have right now.

Vettel said he was aware of what others had done, and was engaged in discussions with his bosses about how to best deal with the matter.

However, he was clear that he had no intention of boasting about any decision that was made simply to make himself look good.

"It is definitely something I'm talking about with the team," said Vettel, speaking from his home in Switzerland via video conference to selected media.

20. DF1

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52349053

Lewis Hamilton says he is "not trying to move" away from his Mercedes team in this year's driver market.

The world champion is one of a number of top drivers whose contracts expire at the end of a 2020 season thrown into disarray by the coronavirus.

Hamilton said on Instagram: "There is no dream of another team. I am with my dream team.

"There's not a thing in my way, as I'm not trying to move. I'm with the people who have cared from day one."

Hamilton added that Mercedes are "the best team".

21. "Hamilton added that Mercedes are "the best team"."

It are? o_O

:D

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I had the same reaction than you about that.

A journalist who was once tackled about it explained that after a singular noun (as as "collective") using plural in the rest of the sentence is not a fault.

Like: "In the case of Germany, they are the richest nation in Europe" or "Ford in the end won Le Mans, the race they had been working on for 4 years".

The idea is that when a noun represents a group of people, it stops being neutral and qualifies for plural.

I am not totally convinced. Over to you ...

23. Mssr. william,

'Serious, but 'still funnin' (cabin fever :eek: hath set in).....("Than" you? Don'cha' mean "as" you? :p)....... ......anywhooo...........

I've heard/read (plural) that (singular) explanation (singular) numerous (plural) times (plural) before. 'Didn't buy them (plural) then; 'don't buy it (singular) now.

Mercedes (singular) is (singular) (not are (plural) the (singular) name (singular) of a (singular) team (singular).

The people (plural) on that (singular) team (singular) are (plural) members (plural) of it (singular).

Those (plural) teammates (plural) are (plural) some (plural) of the best.

As a (singular) result (singular), Mercedes (singular) is (singular) (not are (plural) the (singular) best team (singular).

Panting (huff, huff, huff)(plural).....I (singular) digress. :)

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, I didn't re-read my text, hence mistake. ;)
    As for the explanation, well I go along with what they print; it's not important enough for me to argue. :rolleyes: