Corona… oh, Corona… | FerrariChat

Corona… oh, Corona…

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by PetMar, Apr 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PetMar

PetMar Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Izegem, Belgium, Europe
    Full Name:
    Marrannes Peter
    Dear All,

In addition to all the concerns and dramas that the corona virus brings us on a human level ...

Such a beautiful early summer weather and our cars are not allowed to be driven. Traveling with a classic car is considered to be non-essential and therefore prohibited. There are even hefty fines. This may persist for a while, perhaps a few weeks.

My 412 has been under maintenance since mid-December. Every ring, every hinge, in short, everything on the chassis and the suspension is renewed and adjusted according to factory specifications. And now he is standing there.

How are you dealing with this crisis elsewhere in the world?

Peter

2. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    ryalex, Il Tifoso, Georgi Dye and 4 others like this.
  3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Peter,

I can certainly understand the mix of excitement and disappointment with having your car all sorted and being unable to go for a drive in such fine weather! However, once the Covid-19 has subsided and you do go for a drive I am sure you will appreciate the car, the drive, and being able to drive that much more!

As for the Covid-19 issue where I am at... So far the lock-downs have not been as strict as where you are. Our Covid-19 cases has been increasing, but not at the same accelerated rates elsewhere. Currently, we have no restrictions on actually driving our vehicles, but rather we have restrictions on businesses. With that said there is an elevated Government request to not leave our homes, etc unless for essential services only. If our Covid-19 cases start to rapidly increase, etc then I can see more restrictions put in place.

Anyway, take care and stay safe and hopefully sometime soon we can all get out and enjoy our cars!

Cheers,

Sam

Georgi Dye and PetMar like this.
  4. PetMar

PetMar Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Izegem, Belgium, Europe
    Full Name:
    Marrannes Peter
    Lucky you! BTW, very goodlooking car.
    I could take mine around the block, but since the car is in maintainance out of my postcode, I am not allowed to go and get it. And I won't take the risk.

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I've been out driving the 348. Sometimes one just needs to go out for a drive with no destination, especially in gorgeous weather.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    What is the difference between an essential travel being done in a classic car vs. some beat up out Trabi?

PetMar likes this.
  7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The main difference is a much higher probability of being controlled by the police... At best this is not fun, and can be expensive. Here the fine was reduced down to 200€, which means that it is within the automatic penalty process, and can be issued wide and large by the officers. Some people have been fined 5 times on a single afternoon... Also you can argue the 200€ fine, but there is an ~343€ administrative process fee.

European cities are meant to be pedestrian, and most of the necessary supply is available within the 1km lock-down radius. Taking the car is really a bad idea unless you've got a pending order at the local drive-in.

All in all it's a good time to keep the car at home and clear the long list of minor issues which I never took the time to fix. As the Brits say : "Stay home, Save lives".

Georgi Dye and PetMar like this.
  8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Stuff like this makes me thank my lucky stars I was born in the Good 'ol USA. My condolences.

PetMar likes this.
  9. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    All
    We can help the economy by taking our big gas hogs, fill the tank, go for a good long ride and fill the tank before getting home. No stops except maybe a "scenic rest stop". Bring some gloves or wipes for the gas pumps and just enjoy the ride at +/- 12 mpg. I've got 11 Finger Lakes to drive around for no good reason than the drive; wineries are all closed for tasting. :(

My car, like Peter's, is 99% ready to go after its winter R&R. I am waiting on an new 'fuel flap' switch. I found a NOS one at Tom Vail's; probably stock from Dennis. Deliveries sure are dodgy; the package sat in Tom's Post Office for 4 days before it started moving.
    Ken

Georgi Dye, EastMemphis and PetMar like this.
  10. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    What about a breakdown ? I know, unheard of in a Ferrari. You'll be in contact with the poor slob that gets to schlep the car home or to the shop and that whole chain of events.
    The good ol' USA should have locked things down when it was first rising. I wish there were consequences the selfish would understand, like fines, for being out and about for no good reason.
    I'm home and staying there, I don't want to be a carrier or worse. My car is on the lift missing a good deal of its suspension and all its brakes so no hurry to get it done.
    Please be careful everyone, what you may think inconsequential isn't right now.

348KYD, PetMar, Schumi and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Ive been doing the same- driving the 348 Challenge, 400i, 78 Corvette and 65 Ford F250. All just joy-rides to nowhere whenever the weather has been nice. I'm up in the northwest corner of CT by Lime Rock Park, and thankfully no driving restrictions. Lots of nice twisty roads. I've been going to the dump once a week to drop garbage and the grocery store once every 1-2 weeks to top-off what ive been consuming, otherwise staying at home and limiting contact. Going out a couple of times a week for a nice mindless drive to nowhere has definitely helped keep my sanity. And my dogs, who like having me home all day!

This pic was from this past weekend:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ross,

My car is in a similar state, however, in my case the entire suspension and brakes are fully removed. If I get a chance this weekend I will be removing my differential and torque tube too so that these can be restored/refreshed as well. I think this is a good thing as having them out of the way will make removing my engine (for some light engine work, etc) somewhat easier.

Cheers,

Sam

PetMar likes this.
  13. PetMar

PetMar Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Izegem, Belgium, Europe
    Full Name:
    Marrannes Peter
    To All,

As Raemin said, everything depends on the police control. Here a car was confiscated until the corona rules allow you to drive back where and when you want it. Due to the many number plate recognition cameras, it is almost impossible to move here without being seen. Day and night, 24/7. It hurts, but as Ross putted it, staying home is the best we can do. If I had my car at home now, I could have focused on the body. Make clean, shine, in short, make the car clean. Now I have time. Just about everything in the house has already been arranged. I don't feel like painting what shouldn't be painted. Fortunately, I have many photos of the car and also the last maintenance. I watch it every night, just like a small child. I am a bit sorry myself, but I can't help it.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Might as well pull the heads, do the valves, timing chain etc Sam, we could use a good juicy project to sit back and enjoy while you do the work.

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

Yup you read my mind... hence my comment of "light" engine work :) As for your comment about the juicy project... well... my projects are not nearly as comprehensive, detailed, and to the level of your Boxer resto threads and so will be somewhat anticlimactic. That being said I use your Boxer restos for inspiration and also a reference standard to the level I want to restore/refresh that stuff I work on. Consequently, all the fasteners, etc will be replated, etc... You know you kind of ruined me for simply fixing something... now when I fix something I have to refresh or restore it too :)

As for my project... I had a few pare hours today and the differential and torque tube are now out... and so the game is afoot, as they say.

Cheers,

Sam

16. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    In Florida, we have a "safe at home" order. There really isn't a restriction on the car you drive if you're part of an essential business or doing essential tasks.
    But, driving my 91 Testarossa right now would catch the ire of most people and police....don't even think of driving a Lamborghini. Since I'm designated an "essential business" , I run my F250 4x4 that has my company name on the side. That guarantees you no hassles.

....already heard of someone driving their Ferrari California to do the groceries and getting dirty looks. These are the times. Just look up the 2008 playbook.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

17. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Hi Sam,
    just wondering where you suspend the car from? I have been using jack stands on the oval part of the chassis up the back and up front, seems a strong point.

Dean

samsaprunoff likes this.
  18. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That's where mine are and have been for the last couple of years. Works well

D.J and samsaprunoff like this.
  19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Dean,

Indeed I, like yourself and Tojo/Tim, used the chassis tube as locations for the jack stands. Since I would be working on the suspension/wheel areas I was not overly concerned about the chassis tube locations limiting access to the centre portion of the car. I could have placed the car on my lift, but I knew that the suspension/brake project would take time and so did not want to occupy my lift for an extended period of time.

I had hoped to complete my suspension/brake fresh by the end of last Summer, but for one reason or another this was not to be. Given that our Winter was soon approaching I created a moveable base so that the car could be lowered to this base and thus allow me to move the car around my shop as needed. I am so happy I did made this moveable base, as I had to move the car a few times so I could get access and/or space for other work related projects.

I have now moved the car to my lift and here I use the car's carjack lifting points on the outer chassis. These locations are great, as it allows me full access underneath the car for yet more projects/refreshment. I will take a few pictures of the car on the lift, as to me it is really interesting to see a car "floating" in the air with all of the suspension removed.

Cheers,

Sam

Schumi and D.J like this.
  20. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Cheers for the feedback Gents, now to do brake lines which is a pain of a job. Looks like all of mine are blocked.

21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    So where is the best place to get the brake lines?

22. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA

I got mine from Superformance , 146 pounds for the set of 8. was about 300AUD delivered. They are not easy to get out.

Ak Jim likes this.
  23. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Oh and by the way I bought a new master cylinder from a supplier and it wouldn't bench bleed at all, in the end I disassembled and found the inner plunger installed the wrong way around, put back together and works like a champ.

DJ

24. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    That ^ is the understatement of the day.

For those of us in USA. I bought from Vintage Imports, Ohio. $160 in rubber, they also have with braided SS covering. My series 1 has 8 hoses of the same length. Their typical kit has 4 +4 of two different lengths. Be sure to check your car.My invoice is for PN 101393