Is the V12 the T Rex Given 2032 the UK Extinction date | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Is the V12 the T Rex Given 2032 the UK Extinction date

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by FFantastic, Feb 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    On the eastern edge of the Kara Sea just inside the arctic circle the the Russians have the largest Gas field on the planet bought ashore and piped to most of Asia and Europe. The quantity is staggering. They have more gas underground at this location than all the other gas fields in the world put together and enough to supply current consumption for over a 50 years. plus they have the capacity to explore further north where there are more untapped fields.

The more governments force the population to use electricity for heating and transport etc, the lower the price of gas will be in comparison allowing the Russians to ensure electricity is always the more expensive option.

Post Covid 19 world will I think be very different, Eurozone fractured with Mediterranean countries looking to Germany to bail them out, Fat chance of that !! America hell bent on putting the economy back on track ie home grown oil and gas and everybody looking to spend as little as possible for maximum return...............Lusso V12 does it for me :) long live ICE

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Gents I paid 69 cents a gallon for my DD tonight (with discount from food shopping). Filled up for nine bucks. Renewables are dead. Everyone driving a full electric (and some strong hybrids) is forced to recalculate the ROI for that decision and the result is bad news. Long refill times, short distance fears, no fuel cost advantage and no sound. Ferrari T-Rex is dominating! :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

stavura, italiafan, Bundy and 5 others like this.
  3. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Thats funny. Filling up cheap...then having no where to go to burn it in masses, other then a quick drive to get out of the house.

I have never been in a position where I have burnt so little fuel! So no benefit from cheap fuel.

At the same time...massive depreciation of our dinosaurs...and measured per mile/km driven even catastrophic...

Still I love the ownership experience...I dream about the near future... the idea to drive the hell out of these machines...take it on holiday road trips...enjoy the drive to restaurants...whatever makes life great.

Something a Tesla won't do for me....no dreams attached to Tesla ownership.

My few cents...

stavura, Bundy, ANOpax and 2 others like this.
  4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Yesterday I drove my 812 many many miles to go to the farthest Total Wine from me in the county. Got there and back really fast.
    I’ve also noted fewer LEOs on the road for some reason.
    :)

Caeruleus11 and uhn2000 like this.
  5. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Here in NY there is more LEOs out there because apparently speeding is up because there is much less traffic
    In fact NYC reports a 12% increase in speed camera tickets despite a 40%reduction in traffic
    I always thought NYC had such terrible road and traffic conditions on purpose to limit speed and discourage driving

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I haven’t seen a single LEO running radar / laser for 3 weeks here in Kentucky.

Caeruleus11 and italiafan like this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    NYC is hell on earth...

8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Responded to that.
    - no viable alternative for long journeys;
    - lack of thought of other alternatives from electric, eg hydrogen, lng, bio fuels (see recent articles by some of the big manufacturers), etc.
    - lack of infrastructure for any alternative, either "filling stations", power sources, national grid, etc.;
    - minimum environmental benefit of electric when doing true end to end comparisons
    - lack of structured investment in any alternative;
    - complete loss of £billions in R&D into ICE, stopping immediatly due to announcement, with no alternative so lost 5-10 years in R&D???;
    - no thought to trains, planes, shipping, agriculture machine, construction machines, emergency services vehicles, UPS generators for ..everything including hospitals, IT data centres etc,.....and I'm sure I've missed a fair few things.

Electric has it place, e.g. milk floats and cars for townies and hoorays (who deserve nothing else and believe the hype!); but for everybody else...!

Unfortunately I have little faith that common sense will prevail within the civil service or governement; and thus we will find ourselves forced down a route, like we were with diesel despite the issues being known about since the 70/80s wasnt it?; and find ourselves being forced out of electric vehicles (I'm not buying one) in 10-15 years when they find electric vehicles were not the panacea that they believed.

The only way to reduce emissions is to actually reduce the number of journeys! Everything else is just pissing about around the edges of the problem. Perhaps if anything postive comes out of this horrid virus it will be evidence etc. of such!

635CSI and Bundy like this.
  9. FFantastic

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    The elephant in the room with all discussions on electric vehicles is;

How do we handle all the stopped EVs who have run out of juice on motorways, A roads and back roads. When they run out they are dead, well and truly and many can't be towed or charged at the roadside. Literally hundreds if not thousands of cars will be littering the verges owing to the ineptitude or plain stupidity of the drivers who didn't factor in traffic jams, rain, cold, heat and night time all of which dramatically reduce the running time to well below the optimum range advertised.

635CSI and Bundy like this.
  10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo

635CSI, JTSE30, MDEL and 6 others like this.
  11. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
    I wonder if we will still able to use used petrol car outside towns

12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

This reminds me of the old horse vs car debate 120 years ago when sceptics argued that these new fangled cars breakdown often but horses only die once. How ridiculous does that sound today?

You only need to look at the progress made in a few short years then to realise that the naysayers talking about out-of-juice Teslas are similar cannon fodder for future ridicule.

13. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Bundy and FFantastic like this.
  14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  15. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    and that is in California!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7755753/Chaos-California-Tesla-drivers-stranded-hours-half-mile-long-line-charge.html

and so is this:

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/09/25/fremont-police-tesla-out-of-electricity-pursuit/

this is almost too easy...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29146795/porsches-lap-tesla-model-s-nurburgring-breakdown/

an oldie but a goodie:

https://www.citylab.com/life/2014/04/what-running-out-power-tesla-side-highway-taught-me-about-road-trip-tomorrow/8978/

Caeruleus11, Bundy, MDEL and 2 others like this.
  16. FFantastic

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera

If it wasn’t for ICE the car wouldn’t have been created, horses then became the optional choice for those who could afford them. I have 6 horses and 5 cars so not sure where I went wrong.o_O

Caeruleus11, stavura, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I love horses; haven't bought another one since my last stallion died though. Too much of an emotional loss when they eventually pass away. Alas, I go through the same pain with my Shepherds.

Caeruleus11 and FFantastic like this.
  18. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Great post, sadly share your lack of faith in CS or Government, particularly the latter.

My wife had a meeting with a high level civil servant recently...conversation went thus:

Mrs CSI : Ok so the government is announcing an early ban on ICE sales. I assume you are hearing new things about the development of hydrogen fuel cells?
    Sir Humphrey : Err, no , not yet.
    Mrs CSI : Ok then , something new about electric car range capability?
    Sir Humphrey: Err, not so far.
    Mrs CSI : Ok then, surely some news on the recyclability of batteries?
    Sir Humphrey: Err, well, no, nothing on that front.
    Mrs CSI: And yes you are banning ICE sales in 2032?????
    Sir Humphrey: Well yes , of course, it is POLICY.

ANOpax, stavura and Bundy like this.
  19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Unfortunately that doesn’t surprise me in the slightest! That mentality prevails throughout the government.

Other than the disappointment that we pay these people’s salaries, we could actually do something really good here, with a combination of reducing travel, alternative energy sources and optimising ICE.

Alas another wasted opportunity.

20. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
  21. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Seems the Kool Aid has been well and truly drunk.........enjoy. :D

22. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    However, I expect my EV Kool Aid has a longer expiry date than your V12 Kool Aid......enjoy :D

23. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    "I like EVs," says McLaren CEO Mike Flewitt. "I've driven them a lot lately and for regular use. They're responsive, refined and have incredible performance. But the charging times are really restrictive. Take the 765LT as an example. We know a lot of customers are going to take that to the track. If it were an EV, you would be looking at maybe 30 minutes of running time and then plugging it in until the next day. That's not a persuasive position."

https://carbuzz.com/news/mclaren-ceo-reveals-when-well-see-p1-successor

Bundy and FFantastic like this.
  24. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #149 635CSI, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Yea, but EV Kool Aid is kind of flat and boring.
    If a Tesla can win a drag race against an F12, it doesn’t make we want to buy a Tesla.

No offence, an EV maybe a useful domestic appliance, one day we will, perhaps, all have one.
    Well, we will if they solve the basic issues, and ‘utility’ replaces ‘virtue signalling’ as their primary function.

But, I wont be posting on an enthusiast website about it, after all ‘Toaster Chat’ is not on my favourites list.
    I have a toaster, it is quite good at toasting , but like, who cares?

ANOpax, Bundy, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius