94 512TR 66,000 mile major | Page 20 | FerrariChat

94 512TR 66,000 mile major

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    For me... the belts should be as loose as possible without squealing or getting thrown off.

Never threw a belt... but almost always need to retighten after a few dozen initial miles.

High belt tension means high loads on the bearings.

2. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    These are factory specs.

3. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Also, another question that I may also post in the "Technical" thread:
    Can the exhaust manifolds be attached to the engine before it is put back in the car? The only interference would be the axles and that fit looks extremely tight, but if it can be done it would make attaching the manifolds way easier.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I believe so.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Understood and agreed. Never had a gauge before and went by feel and ear (squeal). Thanks for the Gates info... at 12 bucks I ordered one to try out. Maybe an old dog can learn new tricks.

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Agreed. The older I get, the more I like new tricks.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    IT IS IN.
    Now approaching 7 months since I began this adventure, today is the day that the mighty flat 12 cylinder power plant was reunited with the chassis. This was accomplished with the help of my trusted neighbor, Bert Lewis and with no injuries or broken parts. Win-win. It feels good. Really good. I will detail the installation procedure tomorrow, but right now I'm going to continue celebrating. All is once again right with the universe (COVID-19 notwithstanding).

vincent355, spider_s, juhani and 2 others like this.
  9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Congratulations!!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- I bet that does feel good.

11. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    An enjoyable and educational achievement in clear technical writing for the rest of us. Thanks very much, John

12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Sorry for the lack of photos, but sometimes it takes a few days for photos to get from my I-phone to the cloud so I can access them in my computer. Usually it's within minutes. I don't know why there is a delay...

13. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    Amazing, Great work! Congratulations!

14. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    It turns out the problem was in the computer, not the cloud or iphone. Rebbot computer and poof, images are there. Who knew.
    Prior to installing the engine, preparations were made.
    First, all newly painted surfaces were padded to protect the finish from the lifting ropes, then all wires and hoses (on engine and firewall) were taped out of harms way.
    I installed the center large coolant hose using some Magic Lube and pushed it as far back on the fitting as possible to give clearance. It the slight bend in the hose angles upward from engine to firewall. Don't tighten clamps. Put both on hose.
    I installed the lower large heater hose on the firewall. In photo #3 below, the orientation of this hose is incorrect (I just stuck it there to check the fit of the clamps). The long leg is vertical and the shorter leg turns to the engine. Lube the ends and attach said hose to firewall aluminum tubing. This hose also angles slightly toward the centerline of the car when installed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Make sure the battery cable routes through the lower bracket and rubber grommet.

Also make sure the throttle cable is out of harms way. It needs to pass under the tube connecting the two fuel tanks (following the path of the blue upper heater hose in the photo below. The throttle cable is not in correct position in the photo.

16. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Next I attached the front right and left exhaust manifolds (headers). I cleaned and reused the metal gaskets. They will fall off the studs, so I temporarily taped them in place and then pulled off the tape once I got 2 nuts started. I recall one gasket fell off and had to be retaped. I stuck it back on and installed the manifold, but it was not until I checked the photo that I realized that one gasket was not positioned correctly. I am such a dumbass. The engine is already in the car, so now I have to remove that whole manifold again and reposition the gasket. Aarghhh! Oh well, any benefit gained by installing the manifold on the engine stand are nullified.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    #492 JIMBO, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    So, blissfully ignorant of said faux pas, I enlisted the aid of trusted neighbor Bert Lewis. The engine was raised on the hoist and rolled into position over the engine bay. The chassis was still on the hoist. In order to pass the upper firewall brackets, the engine must be tilted nose (front) down. The axls have to be wiggled into place as the engine is lowered (easy). Through carefully raising the chassis on the lift and lowering the engine bit by bit, we managed to get it onto the motor mounts with no damage to ourselves or any ferrari parts. Boy, that's a good feeling.
    It's a two man job. Before disconnecting the hoist, I raised the engine slightly to take the weight off the mounts and then stuck two large screwdrivers from below up through the mounts to align the holes, while Bert inserted the large motor mount bolts (17 mm I believe). The motor mount bolts are inserted from below, with the small washer on bottom, then the huge washer and nut on top of everything. Once all bolts were in place, it was time for a celebratory beer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

spider_s likes this.
  18. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Camp Freddie likes this.
  19. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    This is the best thread on the TR forum. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

20. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Thanks.

21. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    My next step was to connect the big coolant hoses. The center most hose slid over the firewall fitting with minimal effort. I used constant torque clamps because they allegedly hold better and don't have little notches that can cut into the hose.
    The Right side hose (waterpump) was already loosely attached to the firewall aluminum pipe (again, long axis vertical) and it, too slipped over the water pump fitting with minimal effort (thanks to the Magic Lube). All 4 clamps were tightened.
    As you can see, the center most hose angles upward toward the firewall.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  23. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Next, feed the ECU wiring harnesses through their respective holes in the firewall. It appeared that the best position of the AC hoses was between the harnesses. New O-rings and a bit of ester oil and then carefully align the large nuts on the AC fittings (they are different sizes so you can't make a mistake) and hand tighten while maintaining alignment to prevent leaks. Finally snug down with a large wrench.

24. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The throttle cable comes up the middle of the firewall and then enters a rubber grommet between the AC and alternator brackets and then fits through a hole in the big central coolant fitting. Take the two 8 mm jam nuts off the threaded end of the cable and feed it through by feel. When in position, a little nub of the cable housing will stick out of the back of the coolant fitting.
    In the first picture below, my throttle cable was too close to the AC and alternator belts, so I had to go under the car an re-route the throttle cable BEHIND the plastic vent tube that connects the rear of the fuel tanks. That produced much better clearance.

25. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Now take the cable and loop it around the throttle bracket and through the opening. Thread the two jam nuts on until there is no slack in the cable. This is the proper position of the jam nuts. Move (open) the throttle bracket and take the cable out of its groove. This will give you room to torque the two 8 mm jam nuts against each other so they will not move on the shaft. Turn the throttle bracket again and replace the cable in the groove. Done.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2918933

Attached Files: