First Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Peavynation, Mar 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    There is a dark grey 1990 348 TB in southern California which is a little over priced but its been sitting for some time so perhaps it can be bought right.
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ferrari/348/2390909.html

2. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    Thanks Dan, could be worth checking out; it's more local than anything I've seen so far which is a huge plus. Although I'm very partial to red or yellow (all my cars are currently yellow, red, and orange), I do appreciate an 'understated color' Ferrari. :cool:

axarunner likes this.
  3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    In terms of the price you’ve set and ease of maintenance once you’re a DIY man, I’d say:

- Mondial 3.2 or T
    - 208/308 GT4

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    Yep, have my eye on it. In fact it's been an open tab on my browser since it started. Not as crazy about a convertible as a hardtop, but it's a really nice example and like you said, has had a lot of major $$ service done.

6. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    BaT auction ended on the Mondail T, no sale, reserve not met at $39k. Not surprising, great car and $14k of work just completed. But I've decided that as much as it's a better driver/power than a 308/328, I'm putting the 308/328 ahead in the game. Wife loves the styling (which goes a long way!), I do too, and DIY is no issue for me. 348 still a contender too. Time will tell as the hunt continues.

7. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Reserve not met at 39k $

8. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Joel, this will go live with BaT soon...just saying :)

This was this morning...

paulchua and Peavynation like this.
  9. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    Uh oh, going on the watch list! Thanks for the headsup Ken. Great video too, love the POV and sound combo.

19633500GT likes this.
  10. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    I really dig that color. It's very unique and goes well with the lines of the Mondial.

Peavynation and 19633500GT like this.
  11. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Haha, I totally understand about wanting the Ferrari experience! I feel the same way, and am starting my Ferrari search too. That Urraco sounds like a really interesting proposition too though!

Peavynation likes this.
  12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Yep.
    Think of it as the new Carbon fiber tub low maintenance Ferrari Dino.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

If it MUST be a Ferrari; 308QV.

2Velocebro and Peavynation like this.
  13. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    Ha! Great description of the 4C. Yes, the 308 is at the top of my list now, particularly a QV. I won't completely dismiss any Mondials or 348's the pass my way though...

2Velocebro likes this.
  14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Your close to 456 territory as well, GTA only.

MaurizioAM and paulchua like this.
  15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I sent you PM Joel.

16. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    All true and also all false

17. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    When I read the question it seemed like a setup for someone buying a 348 to me. I think that or a 308 QV would be my target. I used to have a 348 and it is very good. The 4C I have now is similar, but less worry about repairs and maintenance, and it is a little quicker and handles better. doesn't have that Ferrari sound or smell though, and not the same brand panache.

Meister likes this.
  18. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    Indeed, but the Urraco option evaporated when my friend up in LA decided not to part with it (yet), so at least that decision as been made for me and I can get away from that 'distraction'. :D

Funny you say that, another friend of mine asked if I'd ever considered a 412. I hadn't really, but another friend who is on the forum and has owned countless Ferrari's (quite literally) made the very interesting comment that the 412 5sp is a fun car to drive, but the automatic? Leave it at home. Obviously not the same 'racey' exotic styling Fcars are known for, but there is something about those gentlemanly saloon cars that are very appealing. And what's not to like about a V12.

Thanks for the input, these are all the data points that are going into me forming my own, along with driving the actual cars in question, of course.

19. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    As I've said, a prime concern isn't an "investment", but seeing a steady decline in QVs over the last 3 years isn't super heartwarming. My Hagerty account is having authentication issues with their server, so I can only see the free 3yr trend, and not the 5yr or 'lifetime'.

I mean 3yrs is hardly anything, it's a blip, so I'd like to see how the values have trended over the last, say 10 or 15. Just an observation, 308's are still at the top of my list.

Attached Files:

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Welcome Joel,

I've really enjoyed your questions and I look forward to reading more about your journey, and your ultimate choice. If you can, try to test drive em all.

Peavynation likes this.
  21. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    When I finally decided to go for the 355, I was also given some good advice by the brotherhood. Budget 100k, (Sounds crazy, right) then go shopping. Buy the best example that you can while still leaving enough cash in the bank for sales tax, insurance etc, and leaving 10k for a running budget. So I did, and everything has worked out good (so far 4 yrs). As said, parts for Ferraris are stupid expensive so expect that. They ALL will give you headaches (they are after all, made in Italy) , but if you go into it eyes wide open and get a PPI things should go well. Best of luck.

Peavynation likes this.
  22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the 348ts was my first ferrari.
    i bought it for 32k pounds in 1999.
    it was the single worst car i have ever owned, and i firmly believe it was possessed by the devil.
    however, to be fair, i have owned a lot of cars.
    but it was still bad.
    on the other hand, given the op's price ceiling, it may be the best car he can afford, especially if he does it your way.
    nice looking ride.

23. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's the Hagerty price chart through 2006 for the 85 308 GTS QV. Take their prices with a grain of salt for sure. Of course I wish I bought one before the run-up, but buying now or in a few months may prove to be a good opportunity.

24. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    Good advise. I use this same principle for anything high-dollar I buy, from cars to houses. Going in with a known budget you can afford and that is reasonable to the task at hand makes spending the money easier; it's was earmarked for exactly that, and out it goes as needed.

25. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    Excellent! Thanks Audi_328! Well well well, this is exactly the reason you can't can't look at narrow snapshots of trend data. Once could argue that the current current value of 308's is simply correcting from a bubble. But look when that plateau started, during the real estate/investing debacle and ensuing economic crash the world saw in 2007. The value right before was indeed higher that it dropped from, which makes sense. So one could argue that those level prices are due to global downturn, which then rebounded with that spike, albeit in a giant and unsustainable way, hence it's correction down again. But I'm a scientist, not an economist...

Interesting, cause it's looking like the world's economy is going to be seeing a similar downturn to the 2007 crash (some say worse) due to the impact Covid19 is dropping on us all. Will the current numbers continue to drop in that downward trend in the months ahead? Although a little scary, it's interesting times we live in to be sure.