What is the upside of owning a Ferrari? | FerrariChat

What is the upside of owning a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F456M, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi guys!

Thanks for contributing to this great forum.

Sometimes, I wonder how my life would have been without a Ferrari (or another special car)... They cost more than a normal car and it affect your economy a little. However, I feel there is a upside and that the car actually make you meet with special people who sometimes make you expand your own horison with new friends and connections business wise too.

So my question is: -What kind of «bonus» in life did you get from having a Ferrari?

Wish everyone a good time and safe driving.

Erik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I met so many people I would have never met if I did not have my Ferrari. Some of those people have become close friends.

And as an added bonus, I get to drive a Ferrari! :D

Caeruleus11, SAFE4NOW, VAF84 and 12 others like this.
  3. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I totally agree with this! I've been an F-car owner for 10 years and have made some lifelong friends along the way! Or FAST friends as I like to say!

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think Paul is right on. Great people, great events, great memories.
    T

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I don't have much upside to share except that i do like how kids stare at the cars and say " it's a fur-wa-wi"

Andynyc, psych0hans, RedTaxi and 2 others like this.
  6. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have made many great friends in my 13 years of ownership and been blessed to be a part of many great causes such as make a wish.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    for me zero upside other than having a very nice toy to play with

8. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    If you're genuinely bitten by the Ferrari bug, it's pretty great to be a tiny part of the whole thing by having one and all that goes with it.

9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Kids who see it, sit in it, or ride in it is cool. Oh and a gorgeous young woman who once said "nice car" (should have followed that one up) it has made no difference to my life. Hasn't opened a single door or opportunity. Haven't met or made friends with anyone because of the car. One upside is I get to stare at it in my shed. The real upside is the reason I bought it, to DRIVE IT, wow now you're talking!

PhilaChris, Texas Forever and F456M like this.
  10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    No upside really. Just a car that I can afford and makes me feel good.

The only upside maybe: upon meeting a group of opinionated arrogant car people, usually those who know it all but have never even seen a supercar pass them by, that judge cars by numbers, hearsay and magazines, I found that telling those people that I have a Ferrari doesn’t start many conversations, but it certainly ends a lot of them.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Exactly this.

The other bonus is that I often get the chance to let others fulfill -their- dreams of sitting in or experiencing a Ferrari. There's a lot of folks who will never have any other opportunity to do so. So it's open at car shows, anyone in a parking lot who wants a photo gets to sit in it, etc.

I've had 3 people tell me that they own a Ferrari because they sat in mine as a child or teenager.

12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    While I didnt buy my first Ferrari to pick up chicks...it most certainly helped. There was not a day when I wasnt successful if I was out in the Ferrari.

But the most important things was all the friends I made here on FChat

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Erik, I love that picture. Just to the left, out of shot, is a little bench. Each summer in Monaco when I have enough of the Yacht club (just a bit more to the left) I go to the Carrefour supermarket pizza oven (just to the right, past the go kart) and get a takeaway pizza and a couple of cans of Kronenbourg and sit on the bench and look at the view. It's the same view as the yacht club, only cheaper, and better food.

To answer your question, one advantage of Ferrari ownership is being on this forum and engaging in conversations like this with the likes of yourself.

The main one is driving the cars. I have no axe to grind for Ferrari, I drive a lot of supercars, and Ferraris are still special, to drive and own. Almost all of them. There really is, or was, a passion that comes through, and also engineering brilliance all around. Passion itself is not enough, and nor is engineering.

So the greatest element of owning a Ferrari is driving the Ferrari. Second is Ferrarichat.

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there is absolutely no upside.
    please dont buy one.

:)

SCantera and Texas Forever like this.
  15. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    The sound. I can have the worst day and go for a drive and just forget everything with that noise.

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    It makes me a more humble person by making sure my bank account doesn't get too big.

17. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Great people, great experiences, all wrapped up in a little ball of car awesomeness.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

up4speed and psych0hans like this.
  18. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    There’s that too. Like a good friend of mine always says: “I used to be rich. Then, I bought a couple of Ferraris!”.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

19. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I learned to work on cars which I never would have done without the Ferraris.

F456M and kes7u like this.
  20. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
  21. AshAP

AshAP Karting

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ash

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think that's fantastic, and would love to follow in your footsteps.

Did you just learn by tinkering, youtube, or a mentor?

Kevin

Skippr1999 and F456M like this.
  23. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Meet new friends.
    Make a kid’s day by letting him sit in my car.
    Everything is more fun when you drive a Ferrari. Like buying groceries.

Couldn't care less what some random chick thinks about my cars.

PhilNotHill likes this.
  24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #24 F456M, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Hi guys, thanks for many interesting replies. It is actually a quite interesting matter and question in my opinion. There are so many different kinds of people who owns Ferraris. And it is a bit interesting to hear their «story». Some just bought it because it was a nice car, but others have a special background or reason for buying it. So what is the benefit of owning one? Is there an upside which makes it worth the extra cost? I feel very much like so!

Personally, I got to know many fantastic people who have a certain passion and enthusiasm for many things other than the cars themselves, human values which I certainly admire and feel is really valuable!

A few years ago I went on a long trip through Europe with my 550. I went from Oslo to Rimini in Italy before turning back and then to the French Riviera. Just by posting a photo from the trip in the Norwegian Ferrari Club Facebook group, I got a response from a guy that have an appartment between Nice and Monaco. Quess what? I live in that appartment now and sell boats down here. That would never have happened without that car, or if I did that trip with a normal car. My best friend and business partner is also a car guy with a bunch of Lamborghinis. Without no Ferrari, I would never have met him either. So strange as it might sound, I have had a great outcome of owning a Ferrari even if my parents don’t like it and have never understand it.... But it is my life and what they feel about it is really my business and not theirs!

Themaven/Darius: Great story. Monaco is a great place with a special atmosphare. And very international. I have been there many many times over the last years. Sometimes, it is just fun to drive there (takes about 20 minutes from here) to see the everyday life and take a coffee at Starbucks which has a great view from right next to Fairmont. And other times I have had customers which I spend some money on. Three weeks ago I sold a Cigarette powerboat and took the buyer to the most exclusive hotel «Le Metropole» for a dinner. I could not hold back, and had to make the «contract on a serviette» trick as we only had mutually agreed the deal that same day, and of course the real purchase agreement the day after. That event gave the buyer a very unique experience. A part of Ferrari everyday life!

Attached Files:

25. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    And I forgot to say: keep the stories coming!