#03724 Restoration starts | Page 9 | FerrariChat

#03724 Restoration starts

Discussion in '206/246' started by swift53, Sep 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Lars,
    It requires a complete floor change, but now, all I am doing, is mechanical replacements of
    wearables, suspension, etc.
    And for once, enjoy it! After all, it is really an original car...

Regards, Alberto

DinoLasse likes this.
  2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  3. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Bevin Nishimura
    I just came upon this thread. I own a 1972 Dino 246Gt #03876 USA Model. I noticed in your last posting that you are planning on removing the USA model turn signal light sheet metal and will be grafting in the European turn signal sheet metal. If so, would you be willing to sell me that USA model turn signal sheet metal that you're cutting out?
    My Dino has been worked on the past seven years after being rear-ended in June of 2011. At that time, I had the body shop, that was working on my Dino, strip the front end of the Dino to bare metal and prep for a complete repaint. I had planned to convert the turn signals from Euro to USA then, but, I wasn't sure that the shop could accurately re-manufacture the USA turn signals from scratch. This was the first Dino that they had ever worked on. My Dino has been in my mechanic's shop for the past one year+ getting all the mechanical, electrical, and everything that needed to be fixed after having sat idle for the past seven years. I am purchasing these sheet metal parts, so, I can have them installed in my Dino to return it to it's original configuration some time in the future.
    I should be getting it back on the road in a few weeks and will not delay that by putting it in another shop to do the installations. I want to drive this car for a few years before considering doing the modifications. If you aren't considering selling the front turn signal sheet metal that you're removing from your Dino, then I'll just live with what I have and let any future owner worry about it.
    My mechanic has been posting the trials and tribulations around the repairs to my Dino on this forum. If you're interested, you can find it here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ill-bet-your-day-wasnt-this-bad.325793/
    I posted a more detailed account of the repairs on the other Ferrari Forum. If you want a link to that thread, please PM me. I attached some before and after the repairs were completed.

Hawaii 5-0

Attached Files:

Harry-SZ likes this.
  4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Bevin, I will be more than happy to help you out to your satisfaction.
    You have a lovely car, bummer that you had such ordeals with it.

Please write to: alberto.guirola at gmail.com

Kinds regards,
    Alberto

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Beautiful Dino!!

Freeman

6. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Bevin Nishimura
    Alberto,

Thank you for considering my request. I've just sent you an email.

Hawaii 5-0

7. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Bevin Nishimura
    Freeman,

Thank you for the kind words.

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Alberto,

Your work looks superb!

Freeman

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Freeman, not too many of us are restoring Dino’s I think. We are moving along, and we are going straight to finishing this body and painting it
    Regards Alberto

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Colgate shutlines:)

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Great eyes Peter, Colgate has the right dimensions and it is a stable material :)
    Regards, Alberto

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  15. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Alberto,
    In the first photo, the missing section is basically a rectangle where the wire folded inside the rear seam of the bellypan runs from side to side.
    I have a full sized template for this for my early E-series #02750 which lines up the vent holes, the rear seam and the black paint waterline.
    I need to retrieve it from my body shop but I'll copy it and mail it to you, call me sometime...
    Best Andrew

TonyL likes this.
  16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Great Andrew! That will work. I will call you today.

Best, Alberto

17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Used the Hansen™ curve checker and guess what, the two fenders are not curved the same...
    Suppose they were handmade ;)
    the buck also, or are they really supposed to be the same EXACT curvature?
    No damage underneath, or other signs of distress, so potentially original.
    Please give me your thoughts. By the way, I still cannot but marvel at the shape :)
    WOW!

Regards, Alberto

PS Am I the only one fabricating Dino these days? Were are you all? Show some skin...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Please note my 'chassis rack' next to the jacks. It worked.

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    You must be the only one Alberto given how quiet this section has been for months.

Many would have given up with a car that bad, Kudos to you for your perseverance and bringing the car back to life.

Tony

Nuvolari likes this.
  20. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Finally, some real hardware input in this section. Thanks Alberto! Your long taking endeavors have been missed. Please drag it out for a few further years...-:). I guess Dino's have become investment items and "collectors" choice, hence nobody seems do their own work anymore. That a shame. You see the same trend in the Vintage section, other than some interesting history discussions there are very few threads of real technical interests. Good luck with your body work, I'm impressed with what you and your helpers have achieved so far.

Stay fresh!

Regards Peter

swift53, TonyL and Nuvolari like this.
  21. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    There are also those who only watch and learn, like me. Thanks to all those who continue to post their knowledge !

swift53 likes this.
  22. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    One (albeit flawed) way to look at the charming asymmetry is that it’s actually only off by 1/2 that amount. If you raised one side and lowered the other side by the same amount, they would be symmetrical.
    So, the actual desired shape they were trying to produce was probably somewhere in the middle..
    If you take all the cutting, clamping, welding, grinding, hammering, filing, sanding, stretching, shrinking, lead and bondo work, plus throw in some red wine for lunch, you get what you have there.
    The most beautiful car ever made.
    Sure looks nice Alberto. Keep up the good work!!

swift53 and Ellagirl like this.
  23. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I forgot to comment on your aim for perfection issue related to the curvature of the fender. From what I can see you are way within the normal tolerances on these old cars. Even F cars up to mid eighties have up to half an inch tolerance on the body from side to side is my experience. Nobody will ever notice unless they know what to look for and use "fancy" tools such as measuring tapes or laser equipment.

Regards Peter

readplays and Jon Hansen like this.
  24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    You don’t take a tape measure to the Mona Lisa. These cars are all off and if it takes a measurement to see it does it even matter?

25. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Not really, I am not the only one, my 'underground friend ' does not post much, yet he is in the MASTER class
    of body building and fabrication. He restores and builds 90mph airplanes with wood wings too!

Please post some of your wonderful stuff ...c'mon :)

Thank you all for the kudos, but this is truly love, passion and anything else, and it just has to be done "because it's there", to quote a famous fellow.
    So, we'll continue and persevere with the lovely inspiration that Dino is.
    My praise goes to my Savile Row sheetmetal master, that is so extremely proud of his work, will post his photo next to the Dino.

If it weren't for the infamous Hansen™ curve checker, I would not be so anal, all your fault Jon! Observations duly noted...:)

Kind regards to all and stay safe!

Alberto

Jon Hansen, TonyL and 375+ like this.