F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :)

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Not unless they have 3 or 4 Grand Prix over a 6 week period at he Shanghai circuit? TV audiences won't mind that. And probably the teams wouldn't mind some revenue.

2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
  3. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    375+ likes this.
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Now wouldn’t be surprised to see the entire season postponed...which would fit the above rules change postponement.

or at least until the autumn with a very different circuit lineup depending on country conditions as some will easily still be in trouble then

william likes this.
  5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I would not be surprised to see the entire season cancelled,

AND

The teams have to run the 2020 chassis in 2021.

vinny84 and polishhammer83 like this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    We may lose some teams and companies involved in F1/F2, unable to substain a year without income.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Pretty sure if season gets cancelled Williams are unlikely to survive

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If you believe all the news from various sports including the Boston Marathon, Kentucky Derby, PGA, NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR, F1, IndyCar, etc. September and October are going to be crazy. Almost a whole year's events packed into two months.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm starting to get a sinking feeling for this season:

Boris is doing exactly the wrong thing in dealing with the crisis in the UK. Pubs still open and the subway running is unfathomable. I imagine thousands of UK citizens will perish. Possibly worse than Italy and Iran. And that will lead to a global boycott of UK citizens going anywhere else. And since most teams are in the UK, that'll be the end of the season.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I certainly hope you are wrong, meanwhile just now some MP on TV just said we are getting the brilliant engineers from F1 to make ventilators ect to help out.

11. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Boris is not dealing with the crisis complete lack of leadership, for sure the UK will be one of the last out of this. A lockdown of 2-3weeks is far more palatable than months of dithering and all the negatives that will being both in terms of loss of life, jobs etc. Making my blood boil.

stavura, Nembo1777 and Igor Ound like this.
  12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    How about closing pubs and the London subway?

And UK citizens are not (yet) banned from coming to the US. :(

13. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    You don’t have to worry; there is no way in hell anybody I know in the UK would want to go to the US.

Bash Boris all you like, but just look to his left and you have Sir Patrick. I think I’d trust him any day of the week over Trump. Trumps latest press conference was just down right embarrassing.

DF1 likes this.
  14. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well this is the problem, as I well know, I work (play in a band) hobbie/ have a good time, come home with more money I took out, I also own a retail shop. Boris has told everyone to stay in, so by default no footfall in pubs, restaurants ect cannot sustain staying open hence closing, same with shops no footfall.

I went out today get some supplies for my parents my dad, he is scared being asthmatic, I dropped them off later, hardly anyone on the roads.

I think the Government is stuck between a rock and hard place dealing with serious economic issues ,with nobody earning verses trying to stem the tide of spreading the virus.
    And to compound issues not everybody can afford to stay off work...for x amount of time.. its a bloody Sci Fi film unfolding for real a real nightmare.

william likes this.
  15. nickp91

nickp91 Rookie

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    nickp
    F1 needs Monaco, Monaco needs F1, winning the Monaco GP is one of the biggest prizes in Motorsport, not having it there on the calendar makes it feel quite empty and personally

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Typically in Britain, the government is not dogmatic like on the continent, and expects people to act reasonably, rather than using its muscles against the population like I see in France.
    Here in Arcachon, France, I have to show a self-certificate to go to the baker in the morning, and the cops harrass the folks in the streets. What's the point of that?

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Maybe because you are a roast beef?

18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Isobel likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

?????

No, simply because their solution to an epidemy is more bureaucracy. Typical EU.

20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I assume so, because it's the same regs; it's only been outlawed in 2021 regs. Though had coronavirus not hit us, teams were expected to protest it and Merc were already weighing on whether it was worth the risk to even introduce it.

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

22. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148736/calendar-changes-wont-need-teams-approval - Carey seems optimistic yet..........lol

Chase Carey says Formula 1 is "fully committed to launching a 2020 season as soon as possible", and confirms teams won't have to formally approve any changes to the calendar.

The calendar was one of the main subjects on the agenda in a phone conference on Thursday involving Carey, Ross Brawn and all 10 team bosses, at which the consequences of the coronavirus pandemic were discussed.

Carey says not requiring formal approval by the teams will give F1 and the FIA extra flexibility when revising the calendar.

The other key outcome was the decision to postpone the introduction of the 2021 technical regulations until 2022, which will now go through a formal process.

In a statement, Carey explained what was agreed today.

"During this exceptional time and following several race postponements and the World Motorsport Council's unanimous decision to move the Formula 1 summer break forward to March and April, we and the FIA discussed with the teams the need for extra flexibility to accommodate a rescheduled season once the COVID-19 situation improves," he said.

23. DF1

24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I personally think they should just forego this season. It's done. It's too risky, there is no proper timeline, and everyone seems unprepared for anything, not that i blame them anyways.

I was hoping that 2020 cars will be show cars, and that 2021 won't be pushed, but i think looking at the resources, rnd, and factoring in the lockdowns, it does make sense.

DF1 likes this.