A recession inevitable due to COVID-19? | FerrariChat

A recession inevitable due to COVID-19?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Dilusha, Mar 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    How bad will it be? Could it be worse than 2009?

2. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    it's going to be bad, very bad imo

cava and Texas Forever like this.
  3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Maybe we can finally end the Fed!

Repeal all of 1913 for that matter.

cava, BT, AtSomePoint and 2 others like this.
  4. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    Not much room to lower interest rates and we already have huge deficit spending. Not a good scenario.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Add to that the $700 BILLION in quantitative easing that was just announced by the Fed.

6. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    I hear everything is closing in a few days for 2 weeks.

7. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Any idea why the fallout from this is already way worse than it was for H1N1 when there were 22 million cases of it vs 4000 cases of this one?

Bthesixthree likes this.
  8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    They closed the schools here for 2 weeks.

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    All you have to do is watch some cable news and see how giddy the MSM has gotten. It's hard to beat an incumbent with a roaring economy. But if you can spin the common cold into an "end of the world" hoax...

cava, F129b, Bthesixthree and 5 others like this.
  10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Difference this time is business stopped. Think of the ripple effect of airlines parking planes. Production stopping in China. Then add the Saudis destroying fracking. Not good.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    This whole thing is starting to read like a Tom Clancy book.

12. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And now they're saying $1K per adult in "stimulus" funding, coming in the next ~2 weeks...

13. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Somehow I think most on this board are going to not get that check....

Island Time, 020147 and Texas Forever like this.
  14. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well, Canada has acknowledged that they will slip into recession this year. We have had a stronger economy, but this drop may be enough to send us into recession.

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    We're in one now as far as I'm concerned.

VAF84 likes this.
  16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    A recession is 2 consecutive quarters of negative GDP. Hopefully our "leaders" will come to their senses by then.

Asking the public to "stay home" because there's a new type of cold virus going around is completely idiotic.

Bthesixthree and Shark01 like this.
  17. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    It's not idiotic. It's not a cold. People are going to die by the hundreds of thousands or even millions from this virus and the lower the rate of infection, the more likely that the ventilator that someone is going to need when they do get into a dire condition will be available.

There are two ways to handle this situation:

1. Do nothing and let the disease run its course. People will be dying in the parking lots of the hospitals and mass graves will appear in every city like they have in Iran. You'll be able to see them from orbit.

2. Try and do something to stop the spread by practicing social isolation. This won't stop the disease but it is likely to "flatten the curve" and hopefully, will be enough to keep the sick inside the hospital under care rather than dying for the lack of it.

The hard and cold pure capitalists will say "Let them die, they're no use anyway." The compassionate people will sacrifice some gold to save the lives of people's mothers, fathers, grandparents and the infirm. I can see what camp you're in. No matter. Social isolation is happening and we just have to get used to it. In a few quarters, this too will pass and we can get on with creating wealth.

If you are over age 60 or have some underlying condition like COPD or severe hypertension, you are at a high risk of dying from this virus. Sure, people die of the common cold all the time but this is so much worse that comparing the two is quite Fox News silly.

I feel lucky that we cashed out more than half our equities a few months ago. Not quite dumb luck but close to it. Now we are buyers and are scooping up deals like they are (literally) going out of style.

So you can fret about the loss of GDP and sit in your home grumbling about the talking heads spewing useless blather or you can make lemonade. Your choice.

blvckintl, someguy, Schumi and 2 others like this.
  18. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    It is idiotic. It is a common cold virus. Very few people will die from it if/when they contract the virus.

Hey, Chicken Little, the sky isn't actually falling.

Turn off MSNBC.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    There are a few definitions and that is one. The NBER takes about a year to announce one.

20. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Nonsense. People were saying the same thing about MERS and SARS. Both are coronaviruses. Never happened.

The COVID-19 genome has already been sequenced. There are some 30 vaccines from around the world ready for testing. Remdesivir has proven to be an effective treatment.

You might want to look into that stock - GILD (NASDAQ)

21. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Sorry for the off topic questions - but whatever happened to the Business and Politics sections here on Ferrarichat? I've been away for a while and they seem to have disappeared along with most of the 'old guard'.

?

22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You have to subscribe to Silver or Rosa.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. Master Deep

Master Deep Karting

Jun 12, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    +1

Please take it seriously. Yes it’s stupid that toilet paper of all things is sold out but we will live. A lot of people will die in the 60+ group. Younger people will be passing it on to others without knowing. And while the economy will probably bounce back in less than a year, many people are out of jobs already without pay. This is still going to get worse as we are about 4-6 weeks out from the peak. I’ve already begun doing Telemedicine visits for my high risk older patients as they are scared to come into the office. All my staff are wearing N95 masks and other protective equipment in an effort to try and not contract or spread the virus as we keep working.

24. someguy

someguy Rookie

Nov 3, 2012
    Don't underestimate this. This is not the Coronavirus people are used to. It's not the 2003 SARS either. Lets not turn into Italy.

25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I've been thinking about the reporting and rhetoric coming in over the development of this virus.

A few thoughts:
    1. I stuggle to see the evaporation of every company that stops production for 2-4 or even 4-6 weeks.
    The workers will retain the skills.
    The equipment will not go away.
    The demand will be there if we are under X or perhaps XX weeks.
    All IMHO.
    A business that cannot withstand a 2-6 week stoppage seems to be running on the edge of failure.

2. Suggest focus on the medical side, and stopping the spread for a period of time....... then I suspect we will have to go back to work... with a new set of protocols...... if this virus returns months later... as we open up travel..... I suspect we will not go through this entire shut-down stimulous pkg route again..... but rather we just suck it up and work...... and live in the new world.

3. The partisan sparring is pretty nasty business......

4. I'm hopeful....... the stock market is a reflection of projections of value based on developing data..... which no-one knows the end game..... it is all just speculating........ the fundamentals will still work once we decide to go back to work..... with the virus cured or with a new protocol.......

A quick look at CS's for sale.... suggests to me many F car speculators punting on this 'asset'......... hopefully these go to drivers and not collectors.

all my humble opinion... stay safe and enjoy your family time!