Stelvio | FerrariChat

Stelvio

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Longstone Tyres, Mar 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Just out of curiosity, how many sets you're stocking ? o_O
    Plan to offer any quantity or multi-set discounts to those with more than one car ? :p

3. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    There are not a huge amount.

i cannot see a discounted set coming onto he market on the near future.

the full story is i tried to haggle with Pirelli for these tyres and was told there was no movement.

I am busy writting content for these relavent web pages as well with the intention of making it clear that the date code on these tyres is 4217. Not ideal i know but that is the way it is they are pretty extraordinay tyres.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    What sizes are currently available for the 16-inch wheel? Thanks.

john

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    This particular tyre was designed by Pirelli for the 250 GTO, which only came with 15" diameter wheels.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    for 16” we have the Stella Bianca https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/stella-bianca.html

if these tyres go well there is a plan to make some more sizes.

the Stella Bianca is a great tyre. When they were first involved with this tyre they shipped 3 different carcass constructions over and 2 Pirelli technicians. I arranged a test day at Blyton Park with a pair of 1950s race cars. In these cars all 3 drivers were unanimous about which was the best carcass. They also all considered the tyres better than what they previously had on their cars. One had radial the other had cross ply racing tyres.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    None of the examples are directly comparable. Different aspect ratio designs.

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #9 miurasv, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Then why does the 225/70 R 15 marked tyre also have the 7.00 - 15 marking size?

See pic in post 7.

10. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    They are unusual tyres. They are made to sort of mimic what could have been fitted in the day. The Stelvio was available in period. Personally our experience of fitting radial tyres to a 250 GTO was more suited to the Cinturato CA67 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/cinturato-ca67.html a 185VR15 CA67 on the front goes nicely and it is period correct. That is what the GT Lusso and GTE fitted. However the GTO had a larger rear tyre, So we have found that the CN72 205VR15 works well, though it is of course a different tread pattern. also came out in 1964, so not perfect.

Of course 70 profile tyres were not made in the mid '60s so these tyres sort of aren't right. However the perception was that most people using these cars on the road ran radial 215/70R15 front and 225/70R15 rear. the only tyres that offered that were much more modern, so a Stelvio was made in those sizes.

From memory in period they fitted Dunlop Racing tyres. However the Dunlop Racing tyres currently made are unfortunately not road legal https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/vintage-tyres/dunlop-racing.html (16" R5 Dunlop Racing tyres are road legal, 18" and 19" Dunlop Radial Tyres are road legal. But 15" is not.) so they were no good. Really in all fairness you wouldn't want them on the road. I love t hem on the track, but not as a road tyre.

600-15 for the fronts. I think in period the GTO fitted 650-15 or 600-15. so what do you do. you have to take a punt on one.

I must say there were some tricky decisions when making this tyre that I was only partially involved with. But what they have made I think looks great, and as a road tyre better than anything else that looks anywhere near as good. the only other option you would consider would be XWX. great tyre, but late '60s. Avon CR6ZZ, wrong sizes 1980s

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Suggest you ask Pirelli.
    Just because its marked doesn’t make aspect ratios same.

John Vardanian likes this.
  12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    But, wasn't the Stelvio already antiquated by time of the GTO?

john

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    No, this was a new tyre designed and made in 2017 by Pirelli exclusively for the 250 GTO.

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Yes, I believe Stelvio design was already +/-10 year old by the time 250 GTOs production started, but whether they were "antiquated" might be matter of opinion. ;)

15. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    This is a tyre specifically made for a GTO. It is made to look like the period Stelvio. However it is a radial tyre but made to suit classic cars.

yep the Stelvio was a cross ply road race tyre. From memory It came out in 1951. I don’t know when they stopped making the Stelvio. I would expect that an evolution of that tyres was the cross ply racing tyre that Pirelli offered in the early 1960s.

but what do you do Ferrari wanted a tyre. Dunlop was OE. But they aren’t road legal. So Pirelli stepped up and made the Stelvio.

16. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Dougal , do you still have in stock the above tires in the 215/70/15 and 225/70/15 sizes? (Pirelli Stelvio) wheel sizes are 6inch F and 7.5 inch R

For the last 10 plus years I've ran the Avon CR6ZZ , but they will not be suitable for the car that the Stelvio's will go on .

If you have them what tyre pressures do you suggest for dry and for wet ?

17. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

The CR6ZZ is just not a period tyre, and they always look quite wrong, and modern.

Don't get me wrong they are a great track tyre and they have had a carcass designed to suit cars of this period, so the carcass structure is more like a 70s tyres than a modern tyre so they are very good on the track.

Yes we can still supply the Stelvio, but worth noting that they do have a 3617 date code. I have tried to haggle with Pirelli on the price, but they told me that was the price. they only have so many and i will be very suprised if they make them again.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/stelvio.html

I don't have a pressure recomendation, but if you are seriously interested let me know what you are doing with the car and i will ask Pirelli.