What do you say, if asked if you own a Ferrari? | FerrariChat

What do you say, if asked if you own a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Enzo's Long Lost Son, Mar 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzo's Long Lost Son

Mar 12, 2013
    Let’s say you're out and wearing a Ferrari hat, like I often do, or you’re wearing some other article of Ferrari clothing. What is your response if someone, that you don’t know, comes up to you and asks if you own a Ferrari? I myself, find the question extremely rude. My thought is, spend some time getting to know me a little. And then, maybe it’s ok to ask me those kinds of questions.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My answer - Why yes, yes I do!
    No reason to be ashamed of owning an iconic sports car...T

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Wow, you're wearing a Ferrari hat and some one is friendly and shows interest and you think this is rude? Give me a break. If you were wearing a Boston Red Sox hat and someone mentioned it to strike up a conversation are they rude?

The president of FCA had a nice piece in this quarter's Prancing Horse about how as owners we are the face of the brand. You need to give that a read.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #4 Nospinzone, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    OK Enzo's Long Lost Son, how are you, how is the family, what do you do for a living, what are your hobbies, what is your favorite movie, are you liberal or conservative, do you consider yourself well off, where do you like to vacation, are you straight or gay, what is the most embarrassing thing you have ever done?

After you answer those questions, I'll feel I know you well enough to ask you if you own a Ferrari! :D:D:D

Borrow’d Mine, psych0hans and PTG1 like this.
  5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I say yes. But explain owning the 41st GTO ever made doesn’t really make me an owner, but more a caretaker.

6. MarkTodd

MarkTodd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I love the "I'm just the caretaker for the next person"

psych0hans and Mighty Joe like this.
  7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    "I share it with the bank"

No, in all honesty, I rarely wear anything with Ferrari on it, I think I have one nice polo and that's it, just a small cavallino. I often wear my Corvette shirt when I take my Ferrari to cruise ins. When I see someone all decked out in in a car logo, it gets a little pathetic, no matter if it's Toyota or Lamborghini.

In fact, I was at a bar having lunch when a guy walked in with a Ferrari hat, I introduced myself as a 360 owner and asked what he had. Of course, he didn't have one. Not sure who was the bigger douché at that point, but didn't think it was "rude" to ask.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

psych0hans, Jeffg11, 500drvr and 2 others like this.
  8. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Totally agree, that's what I say, if asked I always tell the truth and if it happens they are a car or even better ferrari fan I take the time to talk cars with them for as long as they like. Its always nice to find people that share our passion

tomc, proggero and Nospinzone like this.
  9. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    "I've got a Fiat. Does that count?"

Mimmo Blue and psych0hans like this.
  10. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Maybe don't wear any hat/clothing that has a Ferrari logo on it if you want to be left alone?

LARRYH, SonomaRik, rocket50 and 6 others like this.
  11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Why wouldn't you just say you had one? It's nothing to be ashamed of. I assume you worked hard and earned it. It's just a car.

This is the mindset that has driven me away from Ferrari people. I have loved the cars since I was 6. I have been fortunate enough to have owned them for 30+ years. I was one of the founding members of the Desert Region of the FCA and the 1st Regional Director, and frankly got tired of making excuses for the majority of the 'clubbies' that are more concerned about their valet spot and the lowest miles than picking off an apex or trail braking.

Just get over yourself and enjoy the cars and share the enthusiasm.

psych0hans, 500drvr, RedNeck and 6 others like this.
  12. Godchild14

Godchild14 Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Frandy Blain
    Sometime when you’re a wearing a form of type of clothing with a logo that interest someone that usually give them a reason to spark a conversation with you and they might one as well so they’re looking for car meets cars and coffee. If you feel some types of way why even wear the shirt or hat with the logo

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tomc likes this.
  13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Most fun I’ve ever had with my clothes on.

LP360, Eric C and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  14. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I flat out deny it, in the event the guy asking is a customer of mine, now thinks I’m a zillionaire and starts asking for a discount on products and services.:D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

psych0hans and tantumaude like this.
  15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Ding ding ding!

16. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I tell then proudly "yes"

Maybe off topic, and I have seen other threads on this, but I have been asked often when I am in my 458 what I do for a living. Usually by younger people. I take this as a great way to not only be an ambassador of the brand but also maintain youth interest

LARRYH, ryalex, alum04org and 4 others like this.
  17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have been asked a lot of car questions over the years, but never that one. I would not think someone owned something because of their clothing.

psych0hans likes this.
  18. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    psych0hans and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    absolutely!!!!

I like owls as well; do you have a pair?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And also give out sound advice to the youth of today as they tend to actually get terrible advice from career teachers for some reason

psych0hans and 500drvr like this.
  21. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    So, I can't see what you are wearing. Do you own a Ferrari?
    If you are offend by the response and attention, just change your wardrobe. In all honesty, I would find it more disingenuous for someone to ask me a bunch of BS questions just to get to the meat of the matter.

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I was once getting a haircut. Just sitting there in the chairs perusing some website on my phone (probably Ferrarichat) minding my own business. I was wearing my red Ferrari hat. And this guy comes up to me and asks me.. "Excuse me but do you own a Ferrari?"

I look up at him and say "Yes I do." to which he asks.. "do you really?" And I answer "Yes..Why do you ask?" (holding up the key with the horse on it)

He stammers and says.. "well.. umm you see.. um people who usually wear it DON'T have a Ferrari.."

I did. :) It was funny. He wasn't expecting to encounter an actual owner. :)

Dude I saw with the Ferrari Polo in Houston hobby a few years ago responded "A California" when I asked him which he owned.

psych0hans and G. Pepper like this.
  23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    psych0hans, PTG1, kes7u and 3 others like this.
  24. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    If you are wearing a hat or tee shirt with a logo of a team or company or band or singer or whatever (I do often*) you WILL get people who say something about it.

Duh.

Being polite or just making conversion or being genuinely interested, they will ask a ferrari-logo wearer if they own one.

How can you expect otherwise?

And how do you find that rude or anything negative?

And, to answer your question, you can ignore them, smile and move on, say "yes, they are great cars" or "nah, just a fan of the brand" (if worried about getting some hostile reaction). Whatever. Does it matter?

* I wear so many logo tee shirts that I don't even notice what I pull on each day. Sometimes I'll be walking on the street and get a "love the man in black!" and realize I'm wearing a Johnny Cash shirt, to name but one example. Its all good for crying out loud.

psych0hans, ross and G. Pepper like this.
  25. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Maybe you should respond, "Most expensive hat/shirt I have ever bought, but at least it came with a free car"

psych0hans likes this.