Advice on restoring cigars | FerrariChat

Advice on restoring cigars

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by paulchua, Mar 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello friends,

I forgot I had a whole box of Cohibas from a past trip and recently found them again. I've read here and different methods of restoring them.

What advice/method would you recommend?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    pop them in the humidor for a month or 2

paulchua likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ezpz.

Thanks

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I had a friend give me "cuban" that had dried out. I put Cuban in quotes because it probably wan't authentic anyway. I read about putting them in a plastic bag with a higher level humidifier pack or even a piece of sponge soaked in solution or distilled water. it didn't work for me but I wasn't diligent about keeping track of the humidity. I didn't really care if it worked or not. Here's a more professional opinion than mine....
    https://www.cigarworld.com/education/how-to-rehydrate-cigars/

paulchua likes this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks John, I'll put em in a humidifier for a few months and see what happens.

Cheers

6. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    I have rehydrated tobacco with a small thin slice of potato in the fridge, took about 24 hours with no change in flavour that I could ascertain

7. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    It can certainly be done. On a side note of the box has a plastic clear top, they’re fake. Lots of people bring them back not knowing better. I would humidity them for approximately 1 year. I know it sounds like a long time but Cubans in particular are a very fickle cigar to keep happy. I would humidify for 8 months at 70% and then drop down to 67% for the last four months. Cubans burn a bit better at a slightly lower humidity, hence the drop to 67. You can also keep them at 70 and “dry box” them the day you want to smoke them.