Have the best Ferrari's already been made? | FerrariChat

Have the best Ferrari's already been made?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by FerrariF50lover, Jan 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    With a lot of owners that own all the Special Fcars all thinking the 288 or F40 is the greatest it's begs the question. Have the best Ferrari's already been built? If the market is any dictation of the best cars the answer would be yes.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Different people have different tastes Best really is a matter of taste. For myself I'll say it this way. I fell in love with Ferrari reading the Road & Track issue with the 275 4 cam. I wound up in the Ferrari business as a result. If Ferrari was making the cars they are today back then my life would have taken a very different path. I have zero affinity for the cars made in recent years. I didn't leave Ferrari, Ferrari left me.

Texas Forever and 328PWC like this.
  3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    "The best Ferrari has yet to be built."
    Enzo Ferrari

The progress in technology, speed and fun in indisputable. Some people are just stuck in their old ways...

Boomhauer and Borrow’d Mine like this.
  4. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Fully agree from a performance point of view. It also depends on what people consider "best". From a rational point of view, the FF/GTC series is probably on top, when it comes to driving pleasure the Scuderia/Pista type of cars, etc. Concerning design, it doesn't necessarily have to be the hypercars or the great classics - I personally love the overall lines of the late 90s, especially the Maranello and the 360, even more than the very latest modern machines or most of the very expensive classics.
    But no need to fight about it - aren't these different perspectives what makes our common hobby (and this forum) so exciting...?

5. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    To try and answer your interesting question, I've imagined Ferrari in 20 years time.

By 2040, in my opinion, Ferrari will be making autonomous, connected, electric vehicles. Ferrari will have doubled down on its preeminent luxury lifestyle status and will focus on providing a superb design/style, comfort and entertainment travelling experience. It will be valued as a SaaS business.

Ferrari will also maintain a very healthy Classiche department servicing the needs of its core collectible road cars. These collectibles will not be used on roads but rather private driving tracks, they (and the tracks) will become the ultimate status symbol, and like thoroughbred horses today, will be owned, cherished and even raced by the elite. Ferrari will use these collectible models like they do today but more so; the cars will underpin the marque's historic brand values and appeal in the era of autonomous mobility.

The collectibles list is, IMO, unlikely to comprise many modern cars.

plastique999 and Texas Forever like this.
  6. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    in terms of lap times or speed: no

in terms of exciting road cars: yes

the f40/f50/288gto/458 spec and (surprsingly) the 599gto are notable examples each with their own personality imo

7. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Since I wouldn't trade my Spider for any newer model, I'd say probably yes.

F2003-GA and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Karimsaid

Karimsaid Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor

Oct 2, 2014
    Good vision through the fog

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Further ahead can see Ferrari making the switch to building super-fast hydrogen fuel cell plane/cars hybrids like this Aston Martin concept. 3 dimensions better than 2
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Further ahead, I can see myself being quite dead before the Ferrari Flying car arrives. :)

Igor Ound and Texas Forever like this.
  11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if by some perverted miracle, all cars in america, including ferraris were to be electric by 2040, then america would have had to already increase its ability to make electricity at 100x the capacity it has today.
    as you might imagine, this is physically impossible.
    hence, there will not be a universal electric car mandate.

as to the op, the question is too vague and subject to interpretation - what is 'best' ? what does 'best' mean to different people?

fwiw, imo, the ferraris that are the most engaging for a driver without having to go to a track, have already been made.

12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    My most found memories are still that of my N/A V8 Ferrari's
    The turbo's are fast But they don't do it for me as the N/A's did :cool:

plastique999 likes this.
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The same can be said of all makes of cars and to a lesser extent motorcycles as well. Technology has been responsible for making cars faster than ever but at the same time it has incrementally been removing the human element in its operation. For the sake of safety, stability and traction control as well as ABS brakes it can be for a good cause but does never the less make the controls more of an interface and less and less of a driving experience. The latest and greatest make me feel like I am in a simulator with really good video. Vrtual driving and the cars that provide it are just not a substitute for the real thing no matter how fast they let me go.

Texas Forever and ross like this.
  14. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well there are some exceptions :)
    ariel atom, caterham, dunklevoort, mazda miata, i think even porsche still makes a boxster with a stick that can be driven without aids....

F2003-GA likes this.
  15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not a single one more than a mid tier car. I said a few years ago "every car we will ever own has already been built" and nothing has changed to make me rethink that.

16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yea, they are mid tier, but can be fun.

i do agree with the line about all things i am likely to own have already been built though....

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree and have often thought of building a Caterham but the thought that we have been reduced to that with the engineering and automotive resources available is a very sad statement.

18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    a friend of mine in the uk, with far less skill than yourself, took a 308gt4, stripped it out completely, rebuilt the drive train, and put a rollcage into it, and then proceeded to race it on the amateur circuit.
    he won nearly everything. the empty car was so light, and the engine potent enough, that he ran circles around everything.
    maybe an idea for you?

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I actually had some parts collected to do that and was looking for a tired, no sunroof GT4. I had a dry sump motor and big plans for it. Stripped and acid dipped, 4 liter motor etc. I sobered up one day and realized I could easily have $60,000 in a $20,000 car. A Caterham seemed like a better choice with a 200 HP rally motor in it.

20. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yea, thats true as well.

btw, at the ferrari festival in december i was offered a 430 gt2 car with all kinds of parts for $50k cash.....now thats cheap !

21. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    That's the problem, you can't make those decisions sober :cool:

In re: to the op, IMHO, yes. Anything after the 458 just does nothing, and a few before it (I guess I jump from 360 to 458, then out), but my favorite cars are late 60's and 80's builds. Also, if money was no object, I'd go 288, F40, F50 any day over current day Specials and whatever comes in the next 5-10 years.

Texas Forever and Rifledriver like this.
  22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Nothing is older than last years race car.

Be a good track car though. A friend has a Michelottto 360 NGT. Pretty cool car.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes. I hate to get specific because I really do hate to be critical of others cars but I agree with your choices in the supercar category. .

Texas Forever and 19633500GT like this.