I am really liking the 3.6 liter upgrade, the more i drive the car | FerrariChat

I am really liking the 3.6 liter upgrade, the more i drive the car

Discussion in '308/328' started by AZDoug, Mar 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I actually drive the car more now because it will get out of its own way. It sounds good too, not as wimpy as before, with the same ANSA sport exhaust. Nothing wrong with the 2V motor, now.

The aux vacuum pump fixed the low vac signal at low RPMs, so there is gobs of braking.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cvs-vp655

I was able to tuck the pump between the upper radiator hose and the headlight bucket, by building a special bracket that clamped to a frame brace/strut.

And the flaky side of the turn signal is starting to be reliable now that it is used more often.

Getting rid of the sodium exh valves also gives peace of mind.

Doug

2. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    May we have a photo?

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Personally I think the sweet spot is 300-350 hp. Just enough to have loads of fun and not exceed the chassis capabilities. Don't get me wrong, stupid high hp is fun, but I'm limited doses in that chassis. Hands down though, the GTB is the best way to go when turning up the wick.

More pics..

Crowndog and 19633500GT like this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My 3.5 liter 328 was made for torque. Does real good U turns. Much more fun to drive. Hoping to get it to a dyno soon with a stock 328 to see what it is.

crinoid and 19633500GT like this.
  5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Stock fuel or efi?
    Efi is good for a solid 35hp, probably more so at 3.5L. head flow on the 328 really helps too, short of adapting 348 heads..
    My guess, 300-330hp

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It was built for California smog tests so it is stock cams and CIS. It has 11:1 Wisecos and Crower rods. Recip weight is way lower.

7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Fast spinner, nice!

Going to change that now that you're in TX? Throttle response would improve greatly, in addition to more tq.

8. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    For anyone having similar vacuum issues, I have seen alternators with vacuum pumps on the back that will probably fit. I'd switch to a 10mm belt though :)

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No. I like it fine and have too much else to do.

10. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    Glad to hear this.
    I'm really looking forward to my 4.6L conversion.

11. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Is that a typo?

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I know of a few 4.4 conversions, , 4.8 conversion and a truly marvelous wonderful 5.4 conversion ;)

smg2 likes this.
  13. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    No, it is not a typo but it is the type of thing that upsets 98% of Fchatters.:(:rolleyes:

19633500GT likes this.
  14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The 308/328 block isn't going to support 4.6L, so you must be using a different series. Do keep us posted on such craziness.

Most we can get out of a 308 series block is a hair over 4L. 360 crank and 89mm bore. no room left to go larger. Combination of deck hight and bore centerline restrictions.

15. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I suppose if you put the wrist pin in the oil ring groove and make the cyl walls paper thin (which causes overheating), you can probably get some more CCs.

I wouldn't think those two things would make for reliable high revving, long term driver.

Doug

16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Sure why not, one pass and done!

Something else to keep an eye on, block distortion, at 3.5L it's measurable, at 4L it's a problem. If I could fixture the block to tq the mains I would, as it is tq plates have to do. Heads do not get tqd until the block is mounted to the gearcase. Labour intensive assy.

17. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Not upset, intrigued. I didn't think it was possible to go over about 4 litres - there's only so much bore and so much stroke that will fit!

18. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    So you put torque plates on the decks before you torque up the mains? When you unbolt them, does the crank seize until the heads are on?

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Even stock the main bores distort when the heads are torqued. With the heads off the main caps will fall off. With heads torqued you have to work to pull them out from between the registers. Or vise versa, I never remember. Not enough to prevent crank movement with the clearances typically found but it moves. I always torque the heads prior to the mains.

20. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Not had that happen yet, without the tq plates the crank gets bound a bit, you can feel the resistance to turn. With the plates that goes away, I made notes somewhere about the tq force needed to turn the crank once installed. It's a low number but measurable, same goes for once Pistons are in, though that varies on piston rings, bore dia etc..
    These are for the 3.5 & 4L blocks. Stock is not so touchy.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Mounting to the gear box supplies a lot of strength. All the alloy Ferrari motors are that way. I know of a Daytona vintage racer who built a small sheet metal oil pan and got rid of the original 30 pounder to save weight and get some more ground clearance. Kept wiping out main bearings until someone finally got him to reinstall the original pan.

22. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    That must've been frustrating for him...

Yeah, I always viewed it as the girdle. The technology existed then to do sheet metal or aluminum sheet pans but the engineers didn't, so if they are going to the trouble of casting the part it stands to reason there is a reason for it, bracing and cooling given the mass and fins. Least that's what I assume, could be wrong.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #23 Rifledriver, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    I'd think casual inspection of one of the bare blocks would tell you it is not the sole source of strength. There just isn't much there.

Without heads and oil pan it must have a ton of torsional and longitudinal flexion going on.

Its why F50 has no head gaskets. As a stressed member head gaskets allowed too much flex and would never maintain a seal.

24. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I wish this thread had come up two years ago!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

25. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I think Scott is right on the mark the sweet spot is around 300-350 hp. Not that more wouldn’t be better if all other issues were addressed. I have totally enjoyed my 350+ hp so much I decided to change out the old carpet and door cards and window mechanisms. The car runs like the dream is supposed too. Only thing left is to freshen up my targa top. It’s now a pretty ugly grayish, mottled blackish nasty looking thing. Any suggestions? Oops sorry I’ll start a new targa top thread.