Craziest 355 | FerrariChat

Craziest 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by kenneyd, Feb 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've been finding lot of picture of crazy modded 355, widebodies, etc. Some of these pictures are rendered, many are real.
    Love em or hate em, I think its cool the 355 is still relevant 25 years later, and even being picked up by a new generation. I intentionally left off the abortion of a 355 that button built however.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Yassa and gt1995 like this.
  2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    very cool thread. modded Ferraris are fun to look at. some of them could be really nice if just dialed back a little. smaller flairs, higher ride height, etc and would look great.

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Whilst I get its “their” car and they can do what they want with it; for a car designed specifically to be a performance handling car then add those rims and lower it to the floor... what a waste in my view.

By all means mod it to handle better (if you can; I couldn’t), go faster, stop faster; but otherwise....Photoshop is just fine.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Question: Have you ever seen a car with 0.5" of road clearance go through a turn at maximum speed ?
    Answer: of course not; these things are for show not for go.

5. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Anyone who knows me knows that I’m a total purist, so, of course, all of this is absolutely horrific to me. The 355 is likely the most modded vandalized and molested Ferrari model. I’m guessing it’s simply because it was born when mods were the craze, and also because it was the first “user friendly” Ferrari that was geared towards a broader, wealthy audience (aka the “Porsche” market) that didn’t consider Ferrari’s before because they were more niche. The sad thing is, the 355 is a stunning and perfectly capable car, just as it was when it left the factory. The good thing is, for those of us that have pure, original cars, as a result of the mod mob, they will continue to be highly valued and prized.

thorn likes this.
  7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    On the contrary, the 458 is hands down the most cosmetically modified ferrari. I rarely see one that is stock.

Yassa, taz355 and jferrante like this.
  8. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    I get the pure angle, totally respect and understand it, I have been there with my restorations many times.

But I have to say i absolutely love Tim's F512GTB, the craziness, the pushing the boundaries, but it still retains so much of the pure 355 design. I love all the little details, the dash, the vents, the centre console, the way the rear engine deck lid is resculpted, the slighlty extended/flared fenders - it amazing!

This is an incredible project, engineering accomplishment for one man in his workshop - I admire your skill and talent.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    hah. I love that your trailer is sporting some Borbet Type As. That's awesome.

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I haven’t seen this to be the case, but there’s no science behind these observations. Most 458’s I’ve seen aren’t, whereas most every 355 has at least some.

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    One thing we can agree on - anyone can do what the want with their own property. To each their own.

275GTB likes this.
  12. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    Ferrari allowed my conversion in 2000. The 512tr engine is the last old Ferrari F1 engine. Flat12 is cult. I dream of conversion with carbon parts, better driving value, conversion to turbo with VTG turbocharger. The next wish comes true in summer: My Rolls Royce Silver Spur II has got a towbar and then pulls my two Ferraris on the trailer. A dignified team .....
    and I still have some crazy remodeling ideas like mine To have Enzo's head embroidered in the headlining

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nader likes this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I am curious, for the heavy modifiers - why buy a beautiful Ferrari and totally destroy it’s pure integrity? Take you money and build a car. You can acquire anything today and have your own custom monster. I’m sure it would cost less in the end. That seems much more exciting for people that have this passion.

14. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    But it's your view it is destroyed, others see it differently.

The Resto-Mod movement is becoming massive and will only grow as the world turns electric and people seek different levels of excitement from what previously exists.

Singer have build a pretty good business out of it, with a global following. I don't think I have ever read a single motoring journalist express a negative take on anything they do.

Eagle E-types speedster one of the most beautiful cars in the world made even more special.

As we both agree, each to their own.

Yassa likes this.
  15. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    For me it is a destruction if you install a BMW V12 in a Ferrari see picture attached. Ferrari saw no point in installing a 512tr engine from 1992 in a 1997 F355 because the engine was too old by the emissions regulations. Today there is a Lusso with V8 or V12. I like a 512BB with 512tr engine. Ferrari also built the 458 with a V12 engine for a collector, see picture attached. My F512GTB is much better to drive than any 512tr. Lighter and better chassis, better aerodynamics, always a lot of power at low revs. A dream car compared to modern Ferraris but only if you have a heart and can repair everything yourself. I am not a gentleman driver who is afraid of dirty fingers ....512 is a dream for men with dirty fingers.........
    it is such a pleasure to screw your Ferrari yourself. You only understand the great technology and grow together with your Ferrari. More than when you can only pay a Ferrari workshop bill and speak clever slogans.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nader likes this.
  16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Enjoy your cars. I may have my feelings about all those mods but they’re yours. Have fun.

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    What no 1st gen camaro 355 marriages?
    They are cooler then you can think
    :)

20. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I agree, My favorite one are the "purpose built", if its a wide body, it because they actually are fitting tires needed for the track. Its kinda the same deal as those lifted trucks....You can easily tell the difference between the "mall cruisers" with their 12" lift and 24" wheels vs a purpose built offroader that looks like a baja 1000 setup. I'd rather have one Rene's 355 hilclimber, any challenge car or a widebody 355GT over a 1000 of those crazy slammed 355s.

IMO ferrari would have rather all of them been setup like challenge cars, low, loud, light and and with all kinds aero. But you gotta compromise a to actually drive them on the road and sell them to rich guys.

What do you consider heavy modifying? None of the cars I posted are members here. Most are computer rendered photo shops . I have aftermarket wheels and a few other things on mine, do You consider is "destroyed"? lol